Tape machine and tape packing tips needed

Muckelroy

Hey, guys. I'm needing to ship my Sony TC-366, along with a big ol' box of about 45 or so 7" tapes.

Just wanted some tips on the best way to pack this thing without going overboard on my packing budget.

The recorder has the dust cover, so I intent to keep the dust cover on the front of the unit to protect it, and I will fasten the dust cover to the unit with non-residue tape.

Just wanted your guys's 2 cents on what works with packing this stuff. Both for the machine, and the tapes.

-callie-

Hey, guys. I'm needing to ship my Sony TC-366, along with a big ol' box of about 45 or so 7" tapes.

Just wanted some tips on the best way to pack this thing without going overboard on my packing budget.

The recorder has the dust cover, so I intent to keep the dust cover on the front of the unit to protect it, and I will fasten the dust cover to the unit with non-residue tape.

Just wanted your guys's 2 cents on what works with packing this stuff. Both for the machine, and the tapes.

-callie-

Ok, first of all, I'd pack the tapes in a seperate box, upright and empty spaces filled tightly with crumpled paper, usually found bound at the UPS Store. You wanna make sure nothing moves. I'd also investigate the idea of fitting some 1" styrofoam panels on all sides of the box [for the tapes]. Make sure the panels are, again, tight fitting on all sides. This will give some protection to the tapes. Again, any void space filled with crumpled paper, so that if you turn it 360 degrees, nothing moves.

There are several ways to pack a recorder and it changes from recorder to recorder but here's how I would do it for the Sony TC-366. Initially I thought the dust cover should not be shipped affixed to the recorder BUT changed my mind. It would protect the protruding items on the face. So yeah, affix the cover very well to the front of the recorder. When you do this, you'll have, what amount to really, is a nice smooth box like recorder, with nothing major sticking out. Now, get yourself a new 24x24x24 box and some good heavy duty packing tape. Put no less than 2" of a styrofoam sheet at the bottom of box and then measure the exact lenght and width of the recorder. Cut styro panels for the other sides of the box, making a tight fitting "nest" for the recorder. It's better to have it a fraction of an inch smaller than the recorder so that when you slide it in, it fits tight. Now, before doing anything and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: when you have made the nest, with the bottom panel and sides, take a bag, preferable a good garbage kind and put a lot of peanuts in there but make sure all the air is out of the bag. You can make a couple of small holes in it so that air escapes with compression. Now, this is a bit of trial and error so be patient. Place the bag of peanuts at the bottom but on top of that thick styro panel. Compress it evenly with your hands, adjusting for about 20 - 30 lbs of pressure so that the peanuts are more sturdy. IF, with the compression you find, there's less than 2 or 3 inches of peanuts, open the bag up and place more peanuts, compress again. You wanna have at least 2" - 3" of compressed peanuts so that when the machine sits on it, it won't compress from the machines weight alone. To place the machine in there, put it on the floor, on a flat garbage bag. This works best with 2 people. Pick it up by the opposing sides of the garbage bag and slide the recorder into the tight fitting "nest". Place another bag of compacted / compressed peanuts on top or perhaps just another thick sheet of styrofoam, making sure that when you close the box, it's not compressing too much on that center of the box but rather on the styrofoam sheets on the sides. The recorder's top is usually heavier with the motors and power supply so when you see it go down more on that side, place a smaller, seperate bag under that heavier top, so that the recorder sits evenly.

Many would suggest bubble wrap in place of what I have above but I don't trust that way, especially for heavier gear and for it to do anything, it would have to be wrapped many, many times and likely the box would prove too small.

Place several "THIS SIDE UP" stickers on the box.

Send it FEDEX GROUND or EXPRESS for safer handling.

The basic point is to use the largest box you can, oversize, and packing as if you were to toss the box down the stairs and still the recorder would be fine. BOTH of the above ways are a fine way to pack.

This is just to give you a better idea, visually speaking. This was for a much larger recorder so you'll need to adjust for your Sony, with more panels.

Attachments

• tn_000_1963.jpg
    tn_000_1963.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_000_1964.jpg
    tn_000_1964.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_DSC00823.JPG
    tn_DSC00823.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_DSC00826.JPG
    tn_DSC00826.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 41
Oh and almost forgot... Place the actual recorder inside a large, see through garbage bag, to prevent any crap from falling inside of it and so that it's nice and clean after it's taken out.;)

Another tip, [if possible] is to insure the recorder for like a zillion dollars or an amount which'll make 'em think twice about rough handling the box.

Also, the shorter the time the box is in transit, if it's going by the typical shipping route, the better.

hey -

packing peanuts should be made illegal. Those things are the worst. I hate cleaning them out of gear.

hey -

packing peanuts should be made illegal. Those things are the worst. I hate cleaning them out of gear.

If used properly, they're fine. The KEY word being "properly" BUT I do see what you're saying. ;)

Problem is people use peanuts as main packing material, without compacting and shielding the actual recorder from debris.

Back