tape machine apraisal?

producerkid

i have a Teac 80-8 1/2" 8 track machine (you know the one) with the DBX DX8 noise reduction and the remote control. the machine is in immaculate physical condition and works great other than needing calibration. head hours are very low.

what would you say the going rate on the whole rig would be given i wanted to sell it?

$7-800?

might be stickin my foot in my mouth, i dont know. lol

By "remote" are you talking about the VS-88 Vari-Speed control, or like an RC-71 transport function remote?

I saw a package like yours go for $450 with the long side panels (that link the DX-8 and 80-8 into one unit).

Not saying you couldn't ask for $700-800, but the prices are kind of all over the board...I've seen stand-alone 80-8's go for $450 too so YMMV. You might even consider selling them separately...might come out ahead that way?

When you do list it wherever make sure that you take good pictures of the heads. If they are in the condition you say then that will be a great selling point. Try and snap the pics without a flash, get lots of good room light in there on the heads and lay the deck on its back with an index card laying on the face of the deck just under the heads. This will reduce glare and reflections, and then try and get some real close-up shots at different angles. If you can't get good ambient light in there go with the flash but then the whole index card thing becomes even more important.

Good luck!

thanks sweet!

by remote i mean the transport control (forgot about the varispeed option).

i'm really hoping to not have to sell the deck, however financing other gear is showing itself to be more important than analog tracking ability.
but fuuuuck man i've wanted a 1/2" 8 track for so long now i finally got one....to sell or not to sell that is the question. lol

preciate it.

Yeah, $500 is about right, depending on condition, as sweets already mentioned. I'd keep it, if I were you and find a different way to score some dough. Local 80-8's, in mint condition, don't come along often but you can always make more money or sell something else that you can buy more easily later on.

Back