Tape deck line-in channel cuts out; comes back with loud signal briefly.

Spiral07

Hey guys, was referred here by a few people regarding an issue I’ve been having with an old stereo cassette deck I occasionally record to. Initially it seems that the left channel of the RCA line-in doesn’t receive signal, although the right works fine. I’ve tested multiple sets of RCA cables and the problem indeed appears to be the deck. Prior to this, it had occasionally cut out during recording but seemed to come back when it received a particularly loud signal (I’m running signal directly from my console’s RCA outputs or 1/4” outputs directly to the tape deck’s RCA inputs; loud kick drums seem to be what would make the signal return). Because of this observation, I tried sending an extremely hot signal into the deck from the mixer (like, channel and master faders on the console maxed out) and this will occasionally bring back the dysfunctional left channel, but it isn’t consistent or reliable and the signal usually ends up dropping a few moments later. I’m wondering if anyone has some insight to issue and could advise some steps for repairing it, if it’s a relatively simple fix. I’ve cleaned the inputs and internal hardware with contact cleaner as instructed via similar trouble shooting tutorials, with no luck. I’m able to solder if necessary, would rather just know what to look for and what I should be soldering before taking that step. Thanks in advance, wasn’t able to find any results via Google searching this awkwardly worded issue, so hope someone here can help because I really like this tape deck and it’s unique idiosyncrasies and would love to be able to use it again. Cheers!

What make and model tape deck?

jpmorris has a good solution there. I would look into that. Additionally though, it sounds like it could also be a bad coupling cap at the input stage (or cold solder joint at the cap), or a bad input amp.

Knowing the name and model of tape deck might help me offer more detail. My personal experience is when I have a signal path that needs a high signal amplitude shock to pass signal and then signal passes but it’s distorted and still only generally passes the signal peaks, it’s a blown opamp.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay- model would be a Fisher CR-4012. Haven’t made much headway with this issue, aside from noticing that when sending signal out of my mixer from the 1/4” jacks to the deck’s RCA ins, it seems to activate the bunk channel quicker and retain function longer. If anyone has any insight to where I should begin cleaning/soldering, let me know! Thanks

Back