syncing a tascam 688 and a tsr-8

moogmymellotron

hi just been curious, how can i go about syncing my tsr 8 with a tascam 688?

i have a pps-2 sync box, would this work?

can i use said box to sync either machine to a computer?

terribly new to syncing, so beware of my lack of knowledge. thanks again!:o

By itself, that can't lock two tape decks together. You can use it to make either machine control a computer, but it cannot control the decks, unfortunately. You need a more complex and expensive piece of kit to do that.

What these things are really good for is overdubbing multiple midi sequences.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to sync up my cassette Portastudio's to my digital ones using my PPS-2. The digital Portastudio's would lock to the tape stripe but the resulting wow and flutter on the digital Portastudio's playback as they chased the tape was so noticible that it was unuseable. I gave up.

:o

yea i kinda figured the pps-2 wouldnt suffice. i just got both going w protools. i guess ill try tracking a better sync box, any recommedations?

thanks!

yea i kinda figured the pps-2 wouldnt suffice. i just got both going w protools. i guess ill try tracking a better sync box, any recommedations?

thanks!

I'm using a TASCAM ATS-500. I've got it to link two TSR-8s together. It should also be able to slave a TSR-8 against a 688 or vice-versa, though I have heard that cassette tape isn't great for that as it has a tendency to stretch.

If you were to stripe one track of protools with a compatible timecode, you should be able to feed that into the ATS and make it chase pro-tools.
I have a feeling it may be possible to make it slave both decks against a third incoming timecode, but I'd have to check the manual.

Be aware that the cable pinout given in the manual doesn't work, it misses the capstan control line.

I think the TimeLine Lynx 2 probably could do this as well - as long as your sync box is capable of controlling a deck, and as long as it was made after[/
I] the TSR-8, it can probably do it. The Microlynx can but is rare and expensive. The Lynx-1 is from 1985 and I couldn't make it do what I needed.

FWIW I think the TASCAM MTS-1000 is considered the holy grail of TASCAM sync boxes.

Back