syncing 2 688's

Bobby Darko

okay, so the title says it all. i know there's the tascam mts-100 and other devices aroudn, but has anybody on this board actually done it? I have two 688's and i would really love to sync 'em so i'll have 14 tracks. I know a pc would be much easier but it's just not gonna happen...cheers!:cool:

Do you have the manual for your 688? If so, look at the "Synchronizing The 688 To Another Tape Deck section on page 34. It walks you through the basics.

Bottom line: you need to have a synchronizer to do it. I would recommend the Tascam ATS-500 or MTS-1000 for your application because they both use the same DB-25 interface connector, and it will be easier/cheaper to find/make cables if you have to go that route.

completely forgot to look at my manual, i figured it wasn't in there, my mistake. Thanks man. Still, if anybody did this, i would like to hear...

I have spent a bit of time researching this, and though I haven't done it with two 688's, I have sync'ed my 58 and my computer. The principles are the same.

Whatever synchronizer you get, make sure you get or can get the manual. It will be vital. Synchronizers like the the ATS-500 and the MTS-1000 have DB-25 connectors on the back for the slave and master decks, the 688's have those ACCESSORY 2 ports. Those go to the synchronizer. Hook up the cables, follow the setup procedure in the synchronizer manual and you should be able to use the master deck for transport functions and the slave decks should follow right along.

Back