Sync Protools Midi sequencer to Tape machine Otari MTR 90 Tascam MS16

AllenM

Hello,

I'm looking for a product to sync my protools Midi sequencer to my tape machine.
I have several keyboards and drum machines that I rec midi data to protools.
My goal is to record a song into protools via midi. Hit play and mix on my console the song to tape.
I set the protools tempo, and it gets shared to my drum machine and synths via midi.

My problem is after the initial rec into the tape , Id like to rec an arpeggiated synth or synth with time based fx (midi tempo) as an overdub on tape. and continue working/ overdubbing on tape.
I was looking at the Motu midi express XT because I actually do need a better midi interface as I am using a cheap 1x1 UNO.

Another cool thing would be to sync my MS16 and Otari together but one is at 15ips (ms16) and the other can do 30 and 15 (otari)

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
If you are just mixing "virtual instruments" to tape without any tracks recorded on tape,you don't need a synchronizer. If you have audio on tape, Pro tools should be able to generate SMPTE, which you would record on the highest track # of the analog deck.The analog deck would be the master, and Protools would be the slave chasing it, A Tascam ES-50/51 combo would lock your MTR-90 and MS 16-but both would need cables-one for the master and one for the slave- made. Tape speed difference would not matter.

no pretty much I am recording midi tracks on pro tools that is routed to my hardware synths and drum machines. the audio from my hardware goes to my analog mixer which is routed to a tape machine. Then I'd like to overdub some arpeggated parts onto the tape but the tape would have to be synced to the hardware or protools midi clock.

Back