Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studer A807 - general gloating and some questions

Thanks

Studer A807 - general gloating and some questions

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am now the proud owner of a Studer A807 mk1. Pictures and stuff will be forthcoming. In the meantime, it won't fit on my rack trolley.
    If anyone here has dealt with these machines, is it possible to remove the square things on the sides of the wooden panels?

Thanks
    Okay, I've figured it out. It occurs to me that this might be BBC-specific or something, but just in case anyone else is trying to figure out how to fit them to a trolley, the wooden side panels have a large, black bolt in them. If this is removed with a hex driver, it comes out to reveal an M10 thread. Unfortunately I don't have a 10mm drill to enlarge the M8-sized hole in the stand, but I'll deal with that problem tomorrow.

Here is the machine:

http://project-future.org/images/a807.jpg

It was shipped via UPS. I am tempted to post pictures of the packaging, either in this thread or Packing 101, because it was done pretty well.

Oh yes, if anyone knows the pinout for the external VU socket, that would be awesome as I'm still wondering how to jack my VU rack into it (it wants RCA, the Studer uses XLR...)

Thanks

cool!

wow, cool
    Nice!
    Congrats. And stop asking questions already, heh heh, figure things out already (you are the Wolf, or are you not? ), set it up, post more pictures and maybe a video (?)

And your Uher is craying for attention too : "Me me me me , me too" , poor lil' thing it is there in the corner
    Knowledge is calculable, Ignorance has no limits.
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Beck Guest
    Nice find, JP!

I wish I could help with the VU pinout. I looked though my A807 brochures, but no clues. I'll keep my eyes open. What kind of meter bridge are you trying to interface?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Nice find, JP!

I wish I could help with the VU pinout. I looked though my A807 brochures, but no clues. I'll keep my eyes open. What kind of meter bridge are you trying to interface?
    I haven't yet been able to get proper bridge, it's actually one of these:
    http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...img_name=VU800

It takes a pair of RCA inputs, which I'm hoping to tap them from the monitor connection. If I can also get a 12v line to power it that would be a bonus. I have studied the schematics but they don't give a proper pinout listing like the TSR-8 documentation does. I think it may be pins 16 and 14 for ch1 and ch2 respectively, so I'll probably have to hook up a 'scope and check.

Having checked the transport, there was muck everywhere. I've got the worst off it, but the pinch roller has gone tacky so I'll have to get it rebuilt. I've ordered a replacement, and right now I've fitted the spare roller from my Revox, though I suspect it will not work fully in that condition as the diameter seems slightly smaller.

And no, the Uher hasn't been seeing much action lately

I do have pictures and video, but they'll have to wait - it looks to be a busy weekend.

Thanks
    Oh, no, no no no no

https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k...RollerSoup.jpg

Remember, children, when cleaning a pinchroller that you suspect of neoprene rot, never, ever forget about it and leave it on the window ledge overnight on a midsummer day.
    Rebuilding it just became that little bit harder

Thanks
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Aliens are here, I see their blood

man, this sucks.
    well, good luck dealing with all this. You gotta get this thing running, man. Seriuosly.

And, yeah, check the VU jack with scope, see what exactly is going on (i mean coming out )
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr ZEE View Post
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    man, this sucks.
    well, good luck dealing with all this. You gotta get this thing running, man. Seriuosly.
    Damn straight. I've sunk around $1000 into this thing and its accessories so far, and I expect results for that kind of money
    It should work to some extent with the Revox roller, enough for basic testing.

First priority is to get it into its rack so it's not cluttering up the floor. Next priority is to finish yesterday's comic that this thing's arrive interrupted. After that, check the electronics. Demag it, find out what it's lined up for, decide whether to stick with 250nW or whatever or set it back to 200nW for compatibility with the Revox and my MRL tape. And see if I can figure out the VU pinout.

Thanks
    not knowing what I am talking about, but just to keep you company...
    what I am wondering here, since it looks like you have monitor selector control on the unit, then what actually the
    External VU-Meters unit" here designed to be? It may be simply nothing more than the meters. But maybe not. And if not, then how the unit meant to be powered up? Or are there four-pin connectors or something?
    So if there's no way for you to 100% know from manuals you have what exactly going on, then before trying to connect with any meter(s) unit you have, play something (better just tone, like test tape) and check with scope what are you getting there, what's ground, any AC or DC ... well, you know

found video on youtube which looks like exactly as what you have, nice transport features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldrv...eature=related
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    Ah, the Studer melt-o-matic pinch roller. Both my PR-99s had this issue - tho they were the sturdier rubber, not that green crap.Best send the poor thing to Terry's Rollers and Rubber for a proper fix - replacing it with an original will cost mroe and not be NEAR the quality.

AK

Thread Information