Studer 928 Story...

(neither does fitting caps of unecessarily higher voltage rating)

In this point I have to disagree.
As far as I understand the problematic is, that since the coupling caps are not dc-biased, the get are driven against there polarisation, which causes nonlinearities. Higher voltage ratings lead to thicker oxide layers, lead to less currents if revers poled, lead to less nonlinearities.

I am open for other motivations stating, that this should not have an effekt.

I measures some of the replaced 100uFs, they had (if I remember right) 60-80 uF and an ESR of 8 - 10 Ohms.

In this point I have to disagree.
As far as I understand the problematic is, that since the coupling caps are not dc-biased, the get are driven against there polarisation, which causes nonlinearities. Higher voltage ratings lead to thicker oxide layers, lead to less currents if revers poled, lead to less nonlinearities.

I am open for other motivations stating, that this should not have an effekt.

I measures some of the replaced 100uFs, they had (if I remember right) 60-80 uF and an ESR of 8 - 10 Ohms.

80uf is within tolerance for a 100uf. You always allow for that in design and you cannot simply take a value in isolation. The LF turnover for 100uf might be 4Hz, if a cap has aged such that Fo is now 8Hz, who gives a stuff?

Electrolytic capacitors do produce distortion which is directly proportional to the voltage across the capacitor and THAT of course is proportional to the signal current and Xc at any specific frequency. So long as the capacitor value is big enough the distortion will be trivial at audio frequencies.

This effect is independant it seems of capacitor brand and working voltage so long of course that the latter is high enough. There USED to be a concern that electros sans a polarizing voltage would perform poorly or fail prematurely. If that was ever the case it is not so now*.

When I said "distortion" I did NOT mean noise! If the caps in a piece of gear ARE failing you could expect LF distortion to be worse than spec' and due to the mechanism described above.

I shall say once more. My comments are for the general reader, not specific to your equipment. Those that don't have the gear (as I do not any longer) and/or the knowledge, leave alone.

*Some designers go ape ***t of course and exclude coulpling caps completely using a splash of servos to keep things in line. Fine if it it pleases the Adpuff dept but to my mind a pre amp or mixer with an LF response flat to 0.1Hz HAS to meet up with real world speakers at some point and they probably won't be 'appy! I feel the same way about gear that response up to MW radio frequencies. A response -6dB at 50Khz and falling is all we ever need unless we want to record bats.

Dave.

The "DC to daylight" dilemma.On paper and in the laboratory it's the bees knees.
In the field it needs to work like a well seasoned cast iron frying pan.
Nothing much going on below 40Hz and above 12kHz and one open mic in a studio dominates the noise floor.

G

[MENTION=201181]michael1991[/MENTION]

I would definetly recommend to try some bypass foil condensators over the electrolytics.

I’m actually not too interested in that, because modern electrolytics offer much better performance than in the past, and I’ll have to dig up the specifics, but there are potential issues having the two different caps in parallel. There’s a trade-off. In the past, with lower quality electrolytics, it was a worthwhile compromise, but that’s not so much the case now.

As little background info:
electrolytic caps are polar components, and the schematics look like there is no dc offset in the circuits intended.

Electrolytic caps are either polar or non-polar. The non-polar parts offer better sonic performance than their polar counterparts, but non-polar signal path caps only work in a circuit that is properly biased so signal flows properly. Plus they are more expensive. So we typically see polar parts used. Which is *fine*. There is nothing wrong with that and top-notch gear uses polar parts...and has DC offset throughout the signal path because of the opamps. This is normal. The the coupling caps get rid of it. Effective, and economical.

DC offset is a natural consequence of opamp circuits. That’s precisely why there are signal path coupling caps. So while DC offset is isn’t “intended”, it’s there because of the opamps and therefore it needs to be arrested. That’s one reason transformer coupled circuits are, in at least one way, desirable. Transformers don’t pass DC. So in a transformer coupled circuit the transformer negates the need for the coupling caps. But then there are the transformer artifacts...less of a concern with more expensive transformers, but then there’s a cost trade-off...there’s *always* a trade-off. Another approach is a carefully designed circuit with no DC offset. I’m getting some ongoing guidance collaborating on a project to redesign the line driver amps in a prototype Tascam console I have. They are powered by +/-35V power rails from the factory...really high headroom...like near tube amp headroom, but the factory design doesn’t perform well at lower impedances. The discrete output stage of the redesigned circuit is carefully biased to produce no DC offset down to silly-low impedances. No DC offset = no output coupling caps. But it is much more complicated and expensive than a typical line out driver, and requires the high power rails...also a complication; trade-offs. Always trade-offs.

This means that the neagtive parts of the signal go through he caps in the "false" direction. Since the signals are not large, this will not destroy the caps, but this will introduce nonlinear distortions. Because of that i choosed higher voltage ratings on the electrolytics. I do not know how the parallel foil caps behave in this combination in theory. All I can state so far is, that I really like what the do soundwise.

Well if you’re happy with it, don’t let anybody tell you different, but increasing the voltage rating won’t help the non-linear distortion of the cap. The higher voltage rating will only help the cap survive a catastrophic failure in the circuit where the cap experiences the maximum voltage hit...like where something zorches and the cap gets hit with the DC direct from the power rail, which is the max voltage the cap could possibly see. So that’s why you choose a voltage rating that is greater than the power rail. Studer did that. The power rails are +/-15V. They used 16V caps. The power rails are throttled a bit throughout each PCB assembly. So the power rails are actually somewhere in the 13.5V range. That means lower headroom, BUT a more reliable longer-lasting device. That’s one of the things the 928 is known for in the mobile and broadcast arena...reliable. Trade-offs. But Studer was also dedicated to “good sound”, and headroom is part of that. By using balanced drivers and creative amplifier circuits throughout, kept the headroom at the ins and outs of each module. Smart. So the 16V caps aren’t unreasonably low in their voltage rating. Might 25V be better? Probably wouldn’t hurt, but not really necessary because the 16V cap is rated to be hit with that maximum sustained voltage at the maximum rates temp for THOUSANDS OF HOURS. And those 16V parts in the Studer will NEVER see 16V. AND...there are sonic trade-offs to using too high a voltage part in the signal path. And, again, increasing the voltage rating has NOTHING to do with abating non-linear distortion qualities...those qualities are an unavoidable trade-off to using electrolytic caps. Why use them then? Because they are relatively cheap and compact compared to other options. When is the last time you priced out a 100uF film cap? And how about trying to fit a dozen of those on a module? Not going to happen. And the sonic improvements are arguable. And your point about the “negative parts of the signal” going in the false direction, well, it is really so much more complex than that, and, again, how the cap behaves and what happens to the signal as a result has nothing to do with the voltage rating because the AC signal voltage is WAY below even the conservative 16V rating of the electrolytic caps in the 928. You can increase the voltage all you want, but you will still have non-linear distortion simply because you are using an electrolytic cap. You increase voltage when the voltage rating is too close to the theoretical maximum voltage the cap could experience. That’s the power rail...has nothing to do with sonic performance. But, again, sonic performance may be NEGATIVELY impacted by using a part with too high a voltage. And what the foil caps do is pass HF signal better than the relatively large electrolytic cap that’s in parallel. That’s why this craze to parallel the ‘lytic with a small value cap got started. The larger the cap value the better the LF performance, but the bigger you go the HF performance suffers. Electrolytic caps of yesterday did not do as well in the area of HF performance. That’s not the same today with caps that have MUCH lower ESR...the caps have gotten better. But back in the day the parallel cap was an effective band-aid to restore some HF performance even though you then introduce potential phase distortion and other additional non-linearities with the two caps in parallel. Better to use one cap. With today’s electrolytic caps you have to be using really large value caps for HF performance to suffer even in the extended audio band. 100uF caps are not large (although here again Studer made sure the LF cutoff frequency was in deep subsonic territory...it’s not uncommon to see coupling caps in 47, 35, 22, 16, or even 10uF...and of course it depends on the rest of the circuit, but I hand a Soundtracs console that had coupling caps the forced a LF cutoff frequency around 38Hz ahead of the EQ to keep the EQ from getting over-driven...it was a cheat. And also allowed them to use one value cap throughout...lower cost for them. But bad for sonics. It was still a nice sounding console. Studer ensured the LF cutoff stayed in the single digits, but still maintaining coupling cap values that would preserve HF performance. I’ll just be bold and say the fool bypass caps are unnecessary and I don’t want to introduce unintended trade-offs in my signal path. But you like the sound so you should do it, just seem to understand the good and bad the mod introduces. I *love* how my 928 sounds across the whole audio band...more HF sparkle than I know what to do with, and powerful and clear LF performance...stock caps. Stock everything.

And try some other opamps on one channel ( I used TI LM4562 as replacement for MC33078 and AD OP275 for TL 072)
For testing you don't have to considere anything, if you decide to upgrade your whole desk, you have to use more powerful power supplys, since these opamps draw approx. double the current

Bingo. Trade-offs. I think if I ever experiment with any opamp swaps I *may* try OPA2134 in place of a select few 33078 and 072, but the 33078 is already a pretty decent part...and so is the 072. The 072 gets an increasingly bad rap. Everybody wants to think they have the magic bullet to discovering some interstellar sonic secret, like nobody thought of swapping in a certain opamp, but circuits are designed AROUND the opamp. Change the opamp and then there are other components that might need to change as well, but we are quickly far beyond my ability to analyze and tweak the circuit as a whole, and for what? Because I know something more than the engineers at Studer? Not a chance. There are big-name legendary boutique desks that are lusted after by the masses that use predominantly what opamp? TL072. The opamp does not make or break the circuit...the circuit design as a whole. There are exceptions to that of course...the 741 is a great example. But I’m it’s day it was a breakthrough. I wouldn’t change any opamps unless I could really justify the opamp itself was the cause of a problem. Oh yeah I might socket some sites and try just out of curiosity, but my firsthand experience is any differences are subtle at best. And then you’ve potentially got oscillation to manage and have to put in power rail bypass caps to abate that, and yes the increase is power supply demand...trade-offs. The 5532 and 5534 are good parts...I always like circuits that use them. I’ve already told you how I feel about the 072. The 33078 is kind of like a next generation 072. It’s a solid performer. And the 2142 balanced line drivers are a pretty neat part. I’m curious to try the THAT equivalent part there, but doubt I’ll hear anything ground breaking. Studer didn’t skimp on the parts. Remember the 928 design is coming up on 25 years...the 072 is *still* a current product and *still* being used in new products.

Just found out, that the faderstart only works on my stereo channels. Have to check the manual if this feature is jumperconfigurable...

The START ON feature is only active on the mono input modules if the LINE input is selected. Try it.

Thank you for your critical hints.
I only swapped the heavily used MC33078 and TL072. The replacement recommendations were from an experienced engineer who worls for a small company who design some parts for RME as their flagship M32pro, so I trust the recommondations.

And you should try it and if you like it then knock yourself out. I’ve done the same thing. But just understand there are always trade-offs, and the 928 is a nicely designed console. It borrows from its big brethren the 970/980/990 beasts. And also understand that somebody’s recommendations will not always be coming from the same perspective and goals you have...they will come with their own biases that may or may not related to your situation. Like, trusted advisor A had a problem in the past that was solved with component X. Now A is convinced X will solve anything. It won’t. And A’s problem may have nothing to with yours. In fact, you may not think you have a problem until A tells you you have a problem, but, again, the issue that informed A that X was a solution in the past may be completely irrelevant to your circumstances. And you’re not likely to get that unbiased guidance if A is pushing X without considering your circumstances. That’s why I say I’m wary of anybody that says “always do X”, because, on my experience that person is highly biased and myopic. I don’t know your advisors and mean no disrespect or to muddle your plans. Keep in mind I’m nothing more than advisor B with my own biases, but I have some experience with this and my overarching point is to keep an open mind, don’t assume your gear is garbage, and don’t assume X will solve a problem, particularly one that isn’t there, and not without *some* trade-off.

Second I the offset characteristics are the same but smaller in value. I checked for oszillation even in the most extreme settings i could achieve, and no problems have shown, so I think that this is a valid replacement.

Don’t worry about the offset. It’s inherent to opamp circuits, and the coupling caps mitigate it. But here is something to try...when swapping in different opamps, forget what the paper says about the part’s offset specs...measure what it is doing in YOUR device. That will tell you more about whether or not it is a compatible part. The fact it doesn’t go into oscillation does not tell you if it is compatible. First and foremost consider if the original part was BJT or JFET...you are likely to get a bad result or complete failure if you swap in a JFET part in a circuit designed for BJT and vice versa. And measure the offset. If it’s significantly more that’s not a deal breaker, but it means it’s not an ideal swap.

I agree your approach in general, but I think my constaints are a bit different to yours.
I did not buy this desk because I needed it, or because i would absolutely start to mix with it in the shortest time possible. I bought it because it looked like a absolute crazy project to get this desk to work again.

Get it to work again? Earlier in the thread, in response to my question you said your console was functioning fine, it just had cosmetic issues. Are you now saying there were operational problems?

So I personally do not care at all if I modify the desk apart of the original specs, of if it meets the original specs again after replacing the dried out caps.
Because of this I do not care so much if I might damage some part. The good thing in this level analog technics is, that (besides some mechanically destroyed or burned pcbs etc.) nothing is really irreparable, so I can try out things in the knowing, that it will be possible to get in original state.

Understood...and the higher quality build of the Studer can physically withstand more tinkering.

The tl072 and mc33078 are widely used because they are quite long available and good enough for the specs they wanted to meet. There is nothing wrong with liking the results that are achieved with that technology. Today there are some other products in the market that have improved properties over them. So why not figure out how they change the performance of a device that is never intended to be super critical in heavy production environment. If the result is liked over the original, this is great. If it will result in better specs, it would be even better.
(the colleague I pointed out earlier who did an intership at studer told me the developers stated that they have chosen these opamps because they were not much inferior to the ne5532/34 but consume less power. not because of the overall great performance of them)

Which is interesting since the 072 and 33078 actually exceed the specs of the 553x in some areas.

And I’m certainly not wanting to discourage the experimentation, I think I’m just trying to assert the point there are complex trade-offs, and if you personally, *subjectively* like something better, okay, but not expect significant measurable results or that X is always better everywhere. I can personally say there is a placebo effect with mods. If I’ve modded something you bet I want it to sound better, and we humans have an amazing capacity to deceive ourselves. So that’s where measurement comes into play if there is a claim something is “better”. Coupling measurements with blind tests is also helpful. But all that aside nobody can or should tell you if it sounds better to you, because if you believe it is better or you simply like it better, there is an emotional response to that which can impact YOUR performance as an engineer or producer. And that’s valuable. Music is, after all, sonic emotion.

What you refered as distortion, I think that is noise. I don't think that it is comparable, because the channels are all different. Every channel has its own noise performance, so comparing different channels against each others is not the best approach for this task. This desk is not calibrated at all, so it is hardly valid to point the different noise properties to changed opamps. I will compare the noise performance of a channel before and after replaced parts, to get some insight into this topic.

Okay. That’s fair.

But I think the deterministic part of it (the changed Frequency response is valid to compare. I think the lower deviation on the upgraded parts (even if it is a small change) is a hint for "better performance" even if this does not show all aspects of good sound.

Well, I don’t necessarily agree, but each to their own. Absolute flat response is not typically going to sound “good”...from an engineering standpoint we measure that spec because we want to know what response anomalies we’re dealing with...it informs how we mix with the console or record with the tape machine. But consider the Ampex MM-1200 is t revered for recording rock drums because it has a flat response curve...on the contrary it has a pretty significant LF head bump but in the right spot, and a dip in another right spot. So a 0.1dB decrease in response deviation across the audio band doesn’t really tell me in any way that it will sound better, it’s just slightly flatter, and I don’t think I’d be able to tell that small an increment with noise, a tone ladder or program material. But if it’s noisier? If I could hear that I’d probably go “it’s worse”.

I’m not understanding what you mean by DC biased. And I’ll have to try and find the reference I’m remembering regarding the disadvantage of over-spec’ing the voltage rating, but there’s a disadvantage. And remember audio is complex and non-linear...and the caps pass that complex non-linear signal, and they introduce non-linear distortion. There’s no way around that. They are there to block DC.

And, again, this just blows me away and was why I asked you if your console was abused or in a harsh environment. I’ve never heard of so uniform a failure of relatively young caps...I have tested scads of 25-30 year old substandard (by today’s standards) caps and they are still in spec, and an ESR of 8-10ohms?? That’s...extreme. At some point I’ll test some of mine but I’m fairly confident your experience is the exception not the rule. But also certainly justifies the recapping and would also certainly result in significant sonic improvements you’ve shared.

And thanks for the sharing.

Electrolytic capacitors do produce distortion which is directly proportional to the voltage across the capacitor and THAT of course is proportional to the signal current and Xc at any specific frequency. So long as the capacitor value is big enough the distortion will be trivial at audio frequencies.

I think we are talking about different effects. I was talking about nonlinear effects producing distortions (adding unwanted frequency content, not beeing present in the original signal) tht happen if a polarized electrolytic capacitor is driven in reverse. I did not talk about any low pass characteristics that occur with having capacitors inside the signal flow.

I should have quoted my response better. My Answer "What you refered as distortion, I think that is noise...."
was direct related to @sweatbeats answer

"And it looks like, while the changes reduced the frequency response variance by about 0.1dB, the distortion increased. Have you done any formal before and after distortion analysis?"

I do not understand how it is possible to see any nonlinear distortions in a transfer function, so I think what he described as distortions is the visible noise in the plots. Thats what I wanted to point out.

Get it to work again? Earlier in the thread, in response to my question you said your console was functioning fine, it just had cosmetic issues. Are you now saying there were operational problems?

Yes, it is fully functional, but this desk was selled fully untested, so there were concerns, that it could be not working.

The START ON feature is only active on the mono input modules if the LINE input is selected. Try it.

Thanks for the hint!

I’m not understanding what you mean by DC biased. And I’ll have to try and find the reference I’m remembering regarding the disadvantage of over-spec’ing the voltage rating, but there’s a disadvantage. And remember audio is complex and non-linear...and the caps pass that complex non-linear signal, and they introduce non-linear distortion. There’s no way around that. They are there to block DC.

Adding a DC voltage high enough, that no part of the signal can go into negative, so that the cap is never reverse poled.
These effects are complex and you can never avoid non linear effects. but you can lover them that they will less affect the signal.

And I’m certainly not wanting to discourage the experimentation, I think I’m just trying to assert the point there are complex trade-offs, and if you personally, *subjectively* like something better, okay, but not expect significant measurable results or that X is always better everywhere. I can personally say there is a placebo effect with mods. If I’ve modded something you bet I want it to sound better, and we humans have an amazing capacity to deceive ourselves. So that’s where measurement comes into play if there is a claim something is “better”. Coupling measurements with blind tests is also helpful. But all that aside nobody can or should tell you if it sounds better to you, because if you believe it is better or you simply like it better, there is an emotional response to that which can impact YOUR performance as an engineer or producer. And that’s valuable. Music is, after all, sonic emotion.

Who has not tweaked an EQ for half an hour until it was perfect just to realize that it was in bypass mode?
I am aware of the problematic to trick yourself out with hearing. Because of that i let different person compare the result without telling them what they are hearing to. They all came to the same conclusion.

And, again, this just blows me away and was why I asked you if your console was abused or in a harsh environment.

I really want to answer that question but i do not know any more information about that desk.

In general, I do not want to argue about things/mod that "can never be heard"/"there is no difference" etc.
I want to help each other with problems and sharing some things that i saw on my route through this process, share some information, some results.

Hope I answered all the open questions, if I forgot sth, just ask again:)
Greetings
Michael

"I think we are talking about different effects. I was talking about nonlinear effects producing distortions (adding unwanted frequency content, not beeing present in the original signal) tht happen if a polarized electrolytic capacitor is driven in reverse. I did not talk about any low pass characteristics that occur with having capacitors inside the signal flow. "

Sorry Mike, not sure I understand that. There is but one "non-linear effect" (as far as I and anyone I know, knows) that of whatever the distorting mechanism is inside electrolytic capacitors

You cannot divorce the pass characteristics from the distortion effect becuse they are each side of the same coin. See the snaps from Self* The test circuit is possibly worse case, a 1 k load is about as low as we would want to put on an opamp (but NOT a TL072!)

You can see that for 47uf and an input of 10Vrms (+22dBu) the distortion is well below 0.002% at 40Hz, yes some ten times that of a 5532 but come on! Speakers and especially tape are on another THD planet. And even if <002% at 40Hz offends your sensiblities just double the capacitor value and it gets close to noise. (byt Self is always at pains to point out that any gross component value change must be scrupulously checked for response irregularities and possible parasitics)

As for "driving the capacitors against its polarity"? This is getting dangerously close to the audiophools "directional speaker cables" to my mind! Electrolytic caps work because an Aluminium oxide layer a few molecules thick is grown by a forming voltage. AlO2 is extremely stable and tough. Once formed it will perform as an insulator for decades, it does NOT need a polarizing voltage to maintain itself. So long as the signal voltage does not greatly exceed the working voltage there will be no problem and by definition, audio signals cannot exceed supply rails (yes, I agree, do not in general use caps of a lower WV than the rails except in special circumstances e.g. emitter/cathode bypass)

There is of course the possiblity that a capacitor could experience a DC component from an external source. Line inputs for instance. In such cases even a small "wrong" DC bias could lead to trouble, a leak grossly upsetting the DC conditions of the line amp and eventually the cap will suffer. Such circuits should use non-polar electrolytics but in the case of unbalanced inputs we generally want a high input Z > 50k and so a foil cap is usually an economic solution.

*from Small Signal Audio Design I trust the writer and publishers are ok with the reproduction? I do NOT approve of posting great swathes of other people's intellectual property!

Should have added: Self also states that the tests were done on a range of cap brands, agaes and working voltages and, with the exception of some super minature types, all performed much the same.

Dave.

Attachments

• DSCF2439.JPG
    DSCF2439.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2437.JPG
    DSCF2437.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You are right, the distortions reduce with the capacity. This same experiment with a fixed value capacity with increasing voltage ratings will lead to similar results. You are right, this are only 0.002% but there is not only one cap in the signal flow. There are tons of it, and at every stage the nonlinearities lead to harmonic and intermodulation products. a very little amount, but it sums up.
Since I do not want to change the frequency response "massively" by increasing the capacity and i doubt there would be enough space to fit them, this is an option for me.

The difference in your analogy to cable direction is that there is a well understood theory of fourpoles that describe a cable behavior.
https://www.tdk-electronics.tdk.com/download/530704/5f33d2619fa73419e2a4af562122e90c/pdf-generaltechnicalinformation.pdf
I found this document on electrolytics capacitors. Figure 4 alone is sufficent to justify the use of higher voltage ratings on electrolytic caps. If the voltage rating is higher, the capacitos is used in a more linear range, thus less non linear distortions.

I am sorry Micheal but I can see no reference in that TDK .pdf that mentions distortion in audio circuits in any way let alone ties that to voltage rating.

Now, I am NO mathematician but I think you will find that distortion does not add in a simple, 1% + 1% =2% way? Noise for instance adds as root n1sqd +n2sqd... and thus we get the standard design principle that only the noise at the input stage really matters. But even if my math is total bllx we KNOW that many very complex mixers have scores of electro coupled stages and yet overall thd can be 0.01% or better, a result not possible if it all "just added up".

But may I once again draw you attention to the extreme conditionz of that test circuit and the miniscule distortion produced even for +22dBu in?

We can be reasonably sure THD will be 20dB down at normal OP level and what there is will be at 40Hz and below also we do not routinely load stages as low as 1kOhms.

The value of the capacitors could probably be increased (if you actually measure unacceptable distortion at 40Hz) with no increase in component size because capacitor technology has improved massivley in the intervening years.

I have posted Michael my understanding of this matter and included graphs and circuits to backup my comments. I have also given a source for further reading. I suggest others who might be contemplating any work of this kind to at least READ that data and act accordingly.
I shall of course be happy to see other valid sources that might change my mind.

Dave.

The TDK document is very general on capacitor properties. In figure 4 is drawn the nonlinear relation between voltage and current "The oxide layer constitutes a non-linear voltage-dependent resistance that causes the DC current to increase more steeply as the voltage increases. A characteristic curve as shown in figure 4 is obtained."

for audio signals this leads to an non linear characteristic curve. the higher the voltage rating is, the more left the signal will be in relative to the drawn curve, where the characteristics are more linear.

You are right, the distortions don't add up in a sum. but at every new non linear stage, the new generated frequency content (by intermodulation) of a previous stage acts as new signal, that intermodulates again with the other signals and so on. (here a wikipedia link to intermodulation Intermodulation - Wikipedia )
I can not quantify the effect right now, and don't want to state that there are no other sources of non linearities in the audio signalflow, but this effect contributes to it.

The TDK document is very general on capacitor properties. In figure 4 is drawn the nonlinear relation between voltage and current "The oxide layer constitutes a non-linear voltage-dependent resistance that causes the DC current to increase more steeply as the voltage increases. A characteristic curve as shown in figure 4 is obtained."

for audio signals this leads to an non linear characteristic curve. the higher the voltage rating is, the more left the signal will be in relative to the drawn curve, where the characteristics are more linear.

You are right, the distortions don't add up in a sum. but at every new non linear stage, the new generated frequency content (by intermodulation) of a previous stage acts as new signal, that intermodulates again with the other signals and so on. (here a wikipedia link to intermodulation Intermodulation - Wikipedia )
I can not quantify the effect right now, and don't want to state that there are no other sources of non linearities in the audio signalflow, but this effect contributes to it.

The fact that DC leakage current increases sharply at some voltage around the WV limit has been known for decades...Shoot! Budget concious TV mnfcts use the property as an HT surge limiter and used 275V capacitors when the peak mains was at least 339V! I think it is a huge stretch to sya that large (very!) DC effect is related to the minute amount of distortion produced at low frequencies and at very much reduced voltages.

In case others have lost the plot a bit or dozed off! My position is...Yes, electrolytic capacitors DO produce measurable harmonic distortion IF there is a significant voltage across them and as far as my information goes that distortion is at much the same level regardless of capacitor brand or working voltage. As I say, if I see AC distortion plots that contradict that I am willing be be proved wrong.

I am also stating for the record that the distortion is SO small that at normal signal levels it is audibly insignificant even when dozens of capacitors are involved. I also think you will have to search a long time and pay a serious wedge to find a speaker that can put out 90dBSPL at less than 1% THD!

Dave.

The fact that DC leakage current increases sharply at some voltage around the WV limit has been known for decades...
The curve is getting steeper, but its not linear until voltage xy, it is only getting even more non linear at higher voltages.
This is the same effect for ac signals because the characteristic curve does not care if there is a given dc voltage or if that voltage is a momentary value in an ac signal. the only difference between ac and dc is that dc is at frequency zero.

shure, the signals that are traveling through the capacitor are not in the right area of the characteristic curve but in the left side, where the non linearities are not that huge. but still, if your voltage rating moves up, the signal will move in the equivalent ratio even further to the left, which leads to even less non linearities.

I don't want to argue with you if this effect is audible or not, if you think this is usefull, if loudspeakers are linear in the same range. The effect exists.

The curve is getting steeper, but its not linear until voltage xy, it is only getting even more non linear at higher voltages.
This is the same effect for ac signals because the characteristic curve does not care if there is a given dc voltage or if that voltage is a momentary value in an ac signal. the only difference between ac and dc is that dc is at frequency zero.

shure, the signals that are traveling through the capacitor are not in the right area of the characteristic curve but in the left side, where the non linearities are not that huge. but still, if your voltage rating moves up, the signal will move in the equivalent ratio even further to the left, which leads to even less non linearities.

I don't want to argue with you if this effect is audible or not, if you think this is usefull, if loudspeakers are linear in the same range. The effect exists.

EVERYTHING is non linear to some degree even resistors, you can measure it for the old carbon comps. My points are still valid and unanswered. Where are the actual, real signal level graphs that show the effect is anything to be concerned about and why worry about such a tiny effect that can be all but eliminated anyway with a larger value of capacitor than the required LF turnover would indicate, always keeping an eye out for any untoward effects of course. As for "room for larger components". I will bet you bag of ten that 100uf 22V caps are now about the same size as 50uf 25V were thirty years ago...And! Better in every degree.

Chasing the fifth decimal place for distortion is an excercise that is only done for the reviewers and specc' sheets. The transducers "each end" have a hell of along way to go before we need to worry about a couple of dozen electos in the signal path. OR! just go DC and servos.

Dave.

Where are the actual, real signal level graphs that show the effect is anything to be concerned about

grab some caps, rebuilt the test circuit you posted before and measure it up, if you don't believe it...
some colleague made this kind of tests, but i'm sorry, i dont have the plots here.

For new designs, sure, built a dc coupled design, and get rid of all electrolytics possible, is for sure not the worst idea. but in this given design, i have to deal with them and if i have to replace them because they are dried out (and no, there is nothing "inside the specs" if all caps i measured (about 10 or sth like that) were in the range of 60-80 uF instead of 80-120 uF...), increase the voltage rating (in this amount of caps at no additional cost) to bring the non linearities more down than they are, and even go a step further with bypassing them with foil caps.

I am curious if the effects that are audible occur and can be pictured in standard measurements. I do not know so far. But to state that they are negligible and not audible if you have not calculated, measured or heard it, is not a qualified statement.

I’m taking a break from the interesting but hair-splitting conversation to reflect again at just how great my console sounded in my subjective listening session, and to post these updates:

I got to the bottom of why my Master A module has a significantly diminished output on the left channel...using the block diagram and the module’s own features I narrowed the issue down to somewhere in the output amp...pulled out the scope and the schematic, injected tone to the module and started probing, first at the inputs of the four 5532 opamps that drive the two balanced outputs...all good there...then the outputs of those same opamps...same story, looked good...hm...then the inputs of the output transformers, and A-OK there...then the outputs of the transformers...not good there...scratched my head...powered down the console and pulled the module, got out a good light and my magnifier...solder joints all looked good, flipped it over and then finally see what’s been out for all to see all along:

F3AF1FFF-3C78-4B9E-8532-70229C3741A5.jpeg

See it? The transformer on the left is the left output transformer...see the broken winding? Duuuuuuuude. So at some point the master module was grossly mishandled and was dragged across or has some thing dragged across it tearing up the transformer. Don’t think that’s going to be repairable...it looks like other sections of winding have the insulation layer abraded so who knows if there are shorted windings, etc. fortunately I can order this transformer NOS from the Netherlands, but it’s probably going to cost me about $100 shipped. Bummer.

On a more fun note, I have barely any TT patch cables and I’m going to need a mess of them for the onboard patchbay and two to three 96-point patchbay that will be mounted in an outboard rack. TT patch cables are spendy! BUT...I found, via two separate auctions, a total of 18 ADC cables for a total of something like $35 shipped, all in good condition. They were probably cheap because they are short (16” tip to tip), but these are PERFECT for the onboard patchbay. And they are grey like the Studer! :D I’m planning on getting some different colors of heat shrink to make it easier to ID cables. But look...just the right size. :)

5EECC1C9-ED6A-4782-BCDC-E9AEDEA66855.jpeg

Hair splitting! Good one Mr S and I shall have no more of it (funny how one gets "sucked in"?)

Bummer on the traff front but you might take some comfort from the knowledge that a Home Grown top of the range Jensen 1:1 line drive transformer would set you back $108?

Jensen also do a frame only PCB style that could be a drop in but I guess you want to keep the Studer original.

Dave.

I do enjoy getting sucked into the discussion though...I just needed to come up for air.

And regarding the Studer transformer, yes I’d like to keep it Studer (and if I changed one to something non-Studer I’d have to change the other channel too), but the real rub here is it is a fairly specialized transformer with a third winding that is incorporated into the feedback loop of the four opamps. It’s not a straight-forward opamp output —> transformer primary. So the Studer transformer is really the easiest solution on top of being the preferred solution. They sound nice. And when you push them the program gradually morphs...there is a shift in the character to almost, like, a subtle increase in midrange clarity (louder without overpowering) but then this gradual increase in edge or bite to the sound...like the transient attack elements in the program come out front a bit. It’s neat. So...yah. I want the Studer iron. It’s about $43USD but the shipping is the killer.

Sad to hear your transformer is broken.

Yesterday I did some THD measurements. With that I checked the calibration instructions to calibrate the vca for minimum distortions. Its kind of tricky and sensible, but with some patience the results are quite pleasing.
If you want I can post the plots, but they have to be read carefully, since the analyzer draw some warnings in some parts of the measurements. (Multiple measurements differ more than 2,5 % that were set down as confidence interval) So probably this measurements don't show the "real and only truth" but point in the direction

Hi,
I finally got started with the mono/mic channels. I treated the unencapsulated poti with DeosIT D5 to solve the dirt and DeoxIT F5 after that which contains some amount of lube. It moves smoothly and i can not hear any scratching noise etc.
Greetings
Michael

You want to avoid using F5 on metal-to-metal contacts *because* of the lubrication. D5 is the correct product to use. If you applied F5 to the mic trim range rotary switches I’d re-flush with the D5.

Someday I’ll check the VCA calibration. I have a Tektronix AA501A analyzer for that.

I finally got the replacement output transformer for my Master A module...

:D

ABDD0617-3265-4ECC-A552-80BA2A9C1D22.jpeg

Back