Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Studer 928 Story...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Off with the old damaged transformer...

2b75fdc9-2191-45a9-8dfc-fe07972e7574-jpeg

...on with the new, annnnnnd...

Then there were two (fully functioning master summing modules...)

6d567a9c-c3a8-4ad8-90d0-da238a0323ba-jpeg

Thanks

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Yes, job's a good'un!
    Must be high quality print. On lesser gear you would likely lose one or two of those plated through pads.

I know I could track back through the schematics but what are the blue trimmers for please? Level set? DC offset?

Dave.

Thanks
    Yeah, Dave, the boards are really good quality...no lifting or other issues with the lands or traces even with the prolonged application of heat needed due to the 2-sided board; really nice to work on.

Those trimmers are in a number of places throughout all the module types...sometimes it’s for level calibration, other times it’s VCA distortion null calibration...in the case of the two you see in the picture with the output transformer, those are the output level cal trimmers.

Thanks
    I have such a long sordid history of being obsessed with not actually using something until it’s all “perfect” and refurbished, and I usually drown myself into “improving” or otherwise modifying the device in the process...and my life being full and complicated like it is, guess what? Stuff never gets finished...projects sit...oh I do “finish” stuff but it’s usually the stuff I decide to sell.

I’ve reconnected with some old musician friends. I had to let go of a lot of friendships many years ago for the sake of my marriage. I’m not saying that’s “wrong” or “bad”, but it was incongruent with me, and it was one of countless incongruences; sacrifices that seemed to be deposited into a vacuum. Relationships *always* require sacrifices...give and take...always. But there needs to be a balance to it. My first marriage was out-of-balance. It’s not that way anymore...remarried and my wife has encouraged me to reconnect. Anyway, I walked away from a project that I think could have been *something*. Not huge, or even all that big, but something. My friends are absolutely brilliant musicians, and we really resonated together...they brought the best out of my drumming. It was hard to let it go. We had finally committed ourselves to getting into a local project studio to do some live multi-tracking...that was 1996. It was to ADAT. I stepped away before we mixed it. At some point during the last couple decades I got ahold of the ADAT masters and had somebody transfer stems to .wav files...I have all that stuff. I’ve always wanted to mix the stuff we recorded. So, my studio is far from setup...nothing is “finished”. The Studer is all scungey from its 20 years of service, the legs are all banged up, but I’m doing something very different for me...I’m throwing it together, soldering up some multicore snakes to the Tuchel connectors, loading a rack with a patchbay and only the gear needed to do some basic mixing and mastering...my friends haven’t heard what we recorded in over 20 years and that was just a really bad rough mix to cassette...they are anxious to hear it...and I want to use the Studer. With the few repairs I’ve done on it it is 100% functional. I’m just doing it. It will still take some time to get all the stuff together, but my youngest son who has the audio production bug and is already pretty good with a soldering iron is jazzed about the project...we’ve made a to-do list...first up on the list was getting the console frame mounted to the legs. Done.

1c9b37b3-0f46-45d2-938f-cb126909cc94-jpeg

Thread Information