Storing and Labeling Master Tapes

RandyRhoads1981

2 Questions:
1) How should I store my Tapes? I use an MS-16 1" Tape Machine that plays Tapes in a horizontal position, so should I keep them horizontally or vertically?
I heard that storing horizontally can damage the edges.
But I also heard that tapes should be stored based on how they are played.

2) I acquired about 14 Reels of good Ampex 456, but the boxes have previous
markings on them, how can I clear this up to write my recording info on the boxes?

I keep them vertical for the most part:

https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/tape/TapeShelf.jpg

...the ones on the top right are empty boxes, by the way. The videotapes up top are apparently Welsh-language commercials, but without a C-format machine I can't play them back. I originally got them hoping to convert the spools to 1/2" format, but they aren't designed that way. If I do manage to get a 1" multitrack I might have more use for them, though the idea of destroying the commericals does kind of squick me.

As for labelling, I've been fortunate there, the boxes have mostly been unmarked. What I would probably do is take a blank label and stick it on the spine. Not sure about the back of the box, though.

I keep them vertical for the most part:
https://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/tape/TapeShelf.jpg
As for labelling, I've been fortunate there, the boxes have mostly been unmarked. What I would probably do is take a blank label and stick it on the spine. Not sure about the back of the box, though.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I was wondering about the back of the box as well.
I'd be very willing to purchase the 1" 456 from you if you'd be willing.
It's getting really hard to find Quantegy 456 1" Tape these days.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I was wondering about the back of the box as well.
I'd be very willing to purchase the 1" 456 from you if you'd be willing.
It's getting really hard to find Quantegy 456 1" Tape these days.

Sadly I don't have any 1" 456. I have a couple of empty 1" boxes which contained 1/2" empty spools (I think StudioSpares were trying to get rid of the boxes), and I have a quantity of 196 videotape which I am rather reluctant to dispose of even though I don't have a 1" VTR.

Sadly I don't have any 1" 456. I have a couple of empty 1" boxes which contained 1/2" empty spools (I think StudioSpares were trying to get rid of the boxes), and I have a quantity of 196 videotape which I am rather reluctant to dispose of even though I don't have a 1" VTR.

Ohhhh... I see now.
Thanks anyways.
DAMN! I though I just found a nice stock of 456!

I've always been told to store them vertically and tails out so the music has less print through.

Do you know of the reason to store the vertically?
Would it actually cause damage to store them horizontally?
Yeah, I've been storing them Tails out for a while now.
It really eliminates the print-through pre-echo modulation effects.

I asked this question in a thread a long time ago but really don't remember the reason. I'd say it had something to do with the tape edges creasing.

Tails out for recorded tape and vertically like a book for all tape new or used is the proper way. In addition it doesn't hurt to turn the tapes inside the box every once in a while for tapes that are stored long term. The reason to store vertically is to avoid edge damage, as the tape will slip from gravity over time. And it doesn't matter if your machine is horizontal, vertical or angled because the reel table height and tape guides should spool the tape more or less in the center of the reel regardless.

A properly stored tape should also be supported in the box by the center hub, especially important with pancakes and the thin reels that are more common these days. You don’t want a pancake resting on the bottom of the box where pressure from the weight of the tape works to flatten that side it rests on. Most boxes have a 3-inch center post or hub, but they do sell plain tape boxes without that post and I would avoid them. Pay the extra dollar or whatever it is for a box with a center post.

Jp has it right in the pic of his tape shelf.

For empty reels it doesn't matter... either way is fine. :)

Half-inch, one-inch and two-inch boxes as well as the later polyvinyl storage cases that came out are All Over L.A. New York and Nashville. Any good recording reseller should have them by the thousands sitting in their storage lockers. Then just use normal Dennison labels.

Back