Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticky Shed Help Thread

Thanks

Thanks
    Miro, I thought you knew better.

Don't you know it's Nu Finish that cures SSS?

EDIT: Well now I feel like an idiot after that joke has already been mentioned.

Guess I'm late to the party. LOL!
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowsofFritz View Post

EDIT: Well now I feel like an idiot after that joke has already been mentioned.

Guess I'm late to the party. LOL!

It's OK...that joke never gets old!!!

Thanks
    I'd better correct myself. The BASF SM911 with some shedding looks pre-90's. The 90's SM900 we've got is all fine.

Good to know that shedding from BASF tapes is a rare thing.

Thanks

Exclamation For better or worse,...

About 10 years ago, I happened upon a couple awesome and cheap sources of new reel tape of many sorts. I bought dozens of reels of 1/4" tape on 7" reels, some 1/4" on 10" reels and a fair amount of 1/2" tape, across the board for $1 reel brand new on clearance. I'll spare you the details what and why. This came with copious amounts of 3M 226, 966 & some 986, Quantegy 456, 457. Somewhere in there I managed to buy Quantegy 031 media 1/4" 1200' on 7" reels for $2.99/reel. I have many cases of tape of many sorts.

Bout 2005, I made a recorder purchase that came with a boatload of 3m 996 1" tape, no kidding about 80 rolls of one pass used tape, maybe a reel or two in there unused.

On top of that issue my initial archive recordings on 1/2" 8-track since the early 80s were done exclusively to sticky era 456. Like so many others out there. Fortunately, I'm no great musician or producer, but those recordings are special to me nonetheless.

I am now married to the issue of baking tape. Though I've purchased the dehydrator a long time ago I've not done it yet, but I'm certain it's in my future. Not all my tape is sticky shed era, but a fair amount is. However, in practice I've had issues with sticky shed very little, but only a few verified cases.

If I were to have a time when I wanted to sell any of this new or one pass tape, I'd do so without reservation. I might test a sample or simply bake the reel as a pre sales standard. At this point I'm not sure. New reel tape is out there, tho' it's way more expensive now than it used to be. I don't think that people who sell used tape should be absolutely villified. I'm not on board with how some tape I've seen was listed, some sellers seem not to know, but if it were me I'd be an honest seller about it. For now to me it's a minor issue, but I've been fond of R/R recording since way back. In which case I don't have a problem thinking of tape "baking" as just another maintenance effort. My 2c. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob
    ... subtleties of sound make a difference to those who really listen.

Thanks
    unfortunately baking is a temporary solution. Use it to transfer over to salvage what's on those, but baking is not something that will "cure" the tape so it shouldn't be used for recording new material

Beck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fgonza2 View Post
    unfortunately baking is a temporary solution. Use it to transfer over to salvage what's on those, but baking is not something that will "cure" the tape so it shouldn't be used for recording new material
    Yes exactly. Unfortunately the misconception that one can bake tape for reuse has taken off, partly because of eBay sellers claiming so. When I first started this thread I was hoping to help people grasp the little details, but it seems a lot harder for some than it should be. I wish I could bottle something people could drink and it imparts the knowledge. Or maybe put it in a fruit on a tree of knowledge they could eat.

Quote Originally Posted by A Reel Person View Post
    I don't think that people who sell used tape should be absolutely villified.
    Yeah, I agree with you Dave. Most do it innocently enough. I will only list the sellers that I've tried to educate and they obviously sell bad tape again and again with full knowledge of the harm they're doing... like tapeandtape, who by the way has lost his selling privileges on eBay and is now on his third or fourth eBay account doing the same thing.

Just to reiterate, the problem with buying any used tape is that once the seal is broken you don't really know what kind of tape is on the reel. Some sellers offer tape from large studio lots, but even well organized studios lose track of what kind of tape is on a reel because they would buy pancakes and put it on various reels. So my recommendation is, never buy used tape. Sealed NOS (New Old Stock) no matter how old is as good as new... if people follow the guidelines laid out in this thread to avoid the bad binder (Sticky-Shed) era.

I'm sure you have plenty of good tape there... just by accident because you have so much. Just be careful. There are different phases of Sticky-shed. If you're ever unfortunate enough to try a reel in the advanced stages where it leaves a clear glue-like substance all over the tape path you'll be cleaning that deck for a week. Scotch 226 is the worst when it comes to that. On the other hand the stuff in the early stages of sticky-shed may be the worst because the sound is degraded without any obvious physical signs of a problem.

eBay is still one of the best sources for tape of all kinds at good prices, but the devil is in the details, so I'm sure it will always be confusing for most people.

Thanks
    thank you . i like it

Thanks
    Good some reels of half inch 3M 996 on my hands for 17 dollars/12 pounds each. There's some mixed opinions whether this tape has a shedding problem. Any way of identifying the bad rolls from the good ones? Unlike Ampex 456 there's a whole lot of confusion on this subject.

Would it be fine on a Fostex G16C? The owner have used it on a B16.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
    Good some reels of half inch 3M 996 on my hands for 17 dollars/12 pounds each. There's some mixed opinions whether this tape has a shedding problem. Any way of identifying the bad rolls from the good ones? Unlike Ampex 456 there's a whole lot of confusion on this subject.

Would it be fine on a Fostex G16C? The owner have used it on a B16.
    Assuming the unit is working ok, tapes don't care what machine they are used on. The only way to tell about sticky shed, is to try to play each reel. Anything the squeals should be baked.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thread Information