sticking pinch rollers of tascam

Ged214

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I'm wondering if anyone can advise me? I own several Reel to Reels but one of them is a TEAC Tascam Series 32-2B which I purchased about 20 years ago, it's a nice machine but I have a problem with the pinch rollers, when I press play they are extreamly sluggish in moving up to connect with the tape and I usually have to help them. As I am not a technical expert, I'm wondering if there is a fairly simple solution to this problem?
If anyone can advise me I would be very grateful.

Can I also just ask if anybody also knows of any simple ways to demagnatize the heads as I don't own a head demagnatizer and I understand they are not that easy to come by.

Thank you
Ged214
:rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help with your first question but as far as demagnetizing the heads without a demag I see no other way of doing it. You can still buy them from junkbay for as little as $12.00 You can also buy them from US recording or atr magnetics. The han-d-mag I think is almost $80.00 If you want to spend that kind of money. Or, I've been looking for a Tascam 32 if you don't want to fix it maybe you can sell it to me. PM me if you want to sell.

Contact Teac Parts at parts@teac.com or at (323) 727-4840 for the pinch roller. The rubber destabilizes on some of the rubber parts after many years and at first is tacky and eventually becomes a soft tarry-like substance. Teac may have the rollers in stock. I would also get a capstan belt while you're at as it is likely that if the pinch roller is getting sticky so is the capstan belt.

If Teac does not have the rollers in stock and you don't want to wait and keep checking back with them, AND if the part is more than $35 +S&H, then you may want to consider having the roller re-rubbered by Terry Witt at Terry's Rubber Rollers. $40 would cover the re-rubbering and return shipping and there is basis that a roller re-rubbered by Terry is better than new. He's been doing it for a lot of years and is a skilled craftsman in this very niche market. I have a BR-20 roller in the works at his shop as I type.

I second what dodge said about the demagnetizer. You can indeed get them new and if you want to do the job right you'll get the Han-D-Mag by Annis. Yes it is $70-80. I got mine used for about $50 in very good condition off of eBay. The Teac E-3 or E-2 is also a good unit and there is a good one that Radio Shack used to make but I don't know the model number.

Yes you can find demagnetizers off of eBay for $12 that look like the one pictured below. I own one. As a dissatisfied customer let me tell you from personal experience that there is no cutting cost corners with a demagentizer. That $12 jobbie might be good enough to demag cassette heads, but it will not effectively demag open reel heads. It is a waste of time and money. To do it right you have to pay the money, and that would be my advice if you plan on keeping the 32, which is a nice half track transport with good parts support and a good user base right here. ;)

Attachments

• gallarydj6.jpg
    gallarydj6.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 447
Also..........

If it's actually the pinch roller which has a hard time coming up then you may have hardened grease at the pivot of the mechanism and / or solenoid rubber washer has melted and froze the action. I've done the solenoid thing but I've never worked on the pinch roller mechanism pivot. It usually means disassembly, cleaning off the hardened grease and re-greasing it. Vintage TX (Rolf) does this all the time so I hope he chimes in too.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I'm wondering if anyone can advise me? I own several Reel to Reels but one of them is a TEAC Tascam Series 32-2B which I purchased about 20 years ago, it's a nice machine but I have a problem with the pinch rollers, when I press play they are extreamly sluggish in moving up to connect with the tape and I usually have to help them. As I am not a technical expert, I'm wondering if there is a fairly simple solution to this problem?
If anyone can advise me I would be very grateful.

Can I also just ask if anybody also knows of any simple ways to demagnatize the heads as I don't own a head demagnatizer and I understand they are not that easy to come by.

Thank you
Ged214
:rolleyes:

Re: slow engaging pinch roller - Yoour machine needs to be properly lubed. The mechanism is all gummed up.

Back