Stereo cassette for mix-down

Reilley

OK, so I got myself a Tascam 424 MKII (and thanks to all for guidance.) I need a stereo cassette deck for the mix-down, and I don't have one. I can get a Fisher Studio Standard for $40, and it seems the one to get (yes?)
Trouble is, the one in the store does not have a headphone jack. Huh ? Well, I need a separate receiver (amp) to drive the thing, so will that work, can I use the phone jack in the receiver to listen to the cassette ?

Pardon the simple questions; I'm a simple turnip farmer looking to become a blues icon.

You should have the cassette deck on speakers anyhow. You need to check your stereo cassette mix on speakers, believe me.
The ideal option would be to have everything on a separate mixer so you can just patch stuff around. A patchbay would be a quick fix.

I'll sell ya one with a custom wire harness for a buck-half.:D

You need a amp (Reciever) and some speakers OR even a Cassette boombox that has an RCA Line In.

You would go OUT of your Tascam INTO Your Cassette Deck, then fOUT of The Cassette deck INTO your Reciever. (Or you can go from your Tascam Out to the Reciever, then Out to Cassette Deck.. It depends how you can route it and how you choose to monitor it. You should ALSO be able to monitor it coming Into your Reciever from the Tascam AND then after you mix down just press play on your mix down deck and hear it through the reciever as well.)
The reciever WILL "Color" the sound a bit it as will home speakers, but I never found that to be a big deal really...
You can set the reciever's treble and bass at zero and learn to anticipate how the bass and treble will be when you just pop it into any cassette player. (You could also mix down directly to your PC and burn a CD as well , OR mixdown to Minidisc... The options are all there which is cool.)

So Yes, you CAN use the headphone jack on a reciever, but it's better to mix with speakers. (You can also consider powered monitors, some have headphone jacks as well.)

Anyway you slice it you're gonna be doing some cool recording man, so congrats.

:)

Back