Speaking of head cleaner - does anyone still sell it in >4 oz. sizes?

seankerns

I was going to chime in to the "use or trash old head cleaner" thread, because I have a quart of it that I got from the local pro audio dealer in the early aughts, and am nearly out of it finally, but they're out of business. I used to record on tape, then got out of it, but I'm using tape machines again for transfers.

I looked around on Amazon and similar, and on places like Splicit, where I get lots of other stuff, but all I can find is 2 or 4 oz. sizes. Obviously, they're aiming at the home or hobby market, where, if someone even remembers to clean his heads, a 2 oz. bottle might be a lifetime supply, but as much tape as I spin these days, and as often as I clean the heads, that just doesn't seem practical.
I have had recommendations of 99+% isopropyl, and I have some of that, but I don't know if that's all that's in this stuff I have.

Does anyone sell head cleaner in at least 8 oz., and preferably pint sizes?

Thanks.

On our commercial tape loggers we used 99% Isopropyl every day on the heads and all items in the tape path. That's all you need.

I have had recommendations of 99+% isopropyl, and I have some of that, but I don't know if that's all that's in this stuff I have.

Does anyone sell head cleaner in at least 8 oz., and preferably pint sizes?

It would help if you actually said which head cleaner you are talking about. :)
There isn't just one "head cleaner" product.

I agree, isopropyl is all you need, and the 99.9% pure is the best.
As I mentioned in another thread, you can get it by the quart/liter.

This is the stuff I use from MG Chemicals...99.9% pure in 1-quart bottles for $11.81:
824-1L MG Chemicals | Mouser

Mouser also the Techspray brand which is 99.8% pure in 1-pint bottles for $11.83:
1610-P Techspray | Mouser

So if you can make use of the quart from MG Chemicals, it's a much better deal.
Bottom line...it will last longer, and it doesn't go bad...so it made more sense to me. I actually bought 2 quarts at one time about 5 years ago....and I'm almost out on the first quart.

Point take on "which product", but I honestly don't know. My pro audio dealer sold in quart plastic bottles, with home printed labels that just say, "Tape Head and Path cleaner", and no other info. I can't even call them any more to see if they remember what's in it.
I have a quart of 99.9 anhydrous isopropyl, so I'll use that when the other stuff runs out. It smells like straight alcohol, but that's not exactly scientific.

Back