Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundtracs MX Story...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    We take Tascam manuals for granted...this manual is much more sparse and unrefined. It is a copy of the original manual. It covers the controls and all that and actually has a VERY good section on grounding, but there isn't really any application information.
    You're probably right! I seem to remember reading dissertation grade ramblings in TASCAM manuals on things like the perils of plugging in a mono headphone into a stereo headphone jack.

I guess Soundtracs is assuming that their customers would never need that sort of information?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Just for fun, I played with one your shots from above...

Cheers!

Thanks
    Jeff, that's awesome!

In proces of doing some baseline tests on the PSU and then getting ready to recap it and do some mods. Then I can test to see how effective the changes were.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Jeff, that's awesome!

In proces of doing some baseline tests on the PSU and then getting ready to recap it and do some mods. Then I can test to see how effective the changes were.
    Sounds good!

Also can't wait to see some cleaned up pictures of this beast! Any plans on how to address the paint stained side panels? Paint remover...repaint, resurface???

Cheers!

Thanks
    That'll be easy. They are a high-impact plastic. Clean 'em up with iso alcohol and get some automotive interior paint at the auto parts store...designed to bind to plastics and they have some different shades of grey.

Thanks

Custom Wood Side Panels?

Hey Cory...

This mixer looks like it's going to make a real nice front end for the 8 and 16 track incarnations of the MM-1000. You'll have channels to spare in 8 track mode and even when you move up to 16, you'll have a nice stable set-up that you won't have to re-patch over and over. It looks like you'll have plenty of flexibility...

Those beefy plastic side panels kinda imply that the mixer was designed to be moved around semi-regularly, as some live sound/FOH boards are. But, i was thinking how sweet that console would look with some fancy custom-made wood side panels. Do you have enough left over wood from that tree you cut and made the M-__ side panels from? I know it's not really a high priority project, but it would be cool, once the Soundtracs is all settled into it's new studio home.

I'm looking forward so seeing it all cleaned up!

-Tom.

Thanks
    Mayyyyybe...BUT...I like the look of the stock panels.

I have PLENTY of the walnut...all rough-milled and kiln dried. And now I have quite a woodshop since I am sitting my friend's equipment for the next 4+ years. He heads out tomorrow with his family to Papua New Guinea on a long-term mission. I don't know how to use most the stuff. He builds cabinets among other things. Nice table saw, 12" planer, pocket-hole jig, biscuit joiner, nice router, tons of bits, clamps galore...

But I'm pretty keen on a rattle-can of plastic paint from NAPA at the moment for those side panels.

Maybe someday. It would look nice and at the same time the board has a sleek contemporary look capped by those side panels. Its very plain.

Thanks
    Made up a special cable tonight out of scrap parts in order to hook the DC power rail outputs on the PSU to an analyzer to assess the current noise performance of th supply. Then I can compare with the performance after the mods. The cable allows me to hook one conductor to the supply's chassis ground and the other to a power rail output with a 0.1uF 100V film cap in between. This is what I was instructed to do by a couple members (thanks mshilarious and evm1024). Capacitors block DC voltage, so the cap will only allow AC voltage through, and that's what I want to look for. Oh, and it keeps the DC current from frying a line amp input on my interface...minor benefit. The other end is a TS plug. This will plug into a good quality input on my DAW interface. I'm having to use a pretty rediculous setup because the analog inputs on my Tascam US-224 are too noisy for this kind of analysis, but the rest of my DAW interface stuff is all ASIO Yamaha mLAN stuff and Windows can't take advantage of ASIO drivers for the system audio input. So I'm having to go in through the Presonus Digimax FS, then that goes to the Yamaha i88x via ADAT Lightpipe, then that goes to the Yamaha 01X via mLAN firewire, then that goes back to the i88x so I can send the input out through the S/PDIF connection and finally THAT can then go into the US-224 via S/PDIF and the US-224 has a WDM driver so Windows can use that as the defaul soundcard. I'm using the free version of True RTA and the FFT spectrum analyzer. Here's the cable:

Thanks
    Can't recall if I linked this already and I'm too lazy to look, but there is a related thread over in the DIY forum regarding baseline noise analysis on the PSU and the mixer as well as refurb and upgrade work on the PSU:

Radial cap in place of an axial?
    Last edited by sweetbeats; 06-13-2019 at 11:58.

Thanks

Getting to know youuuuu

Got some baseline noise and FFT analysis on the mixer and the PSU (finally). Related post over in the DIY forum here.

Surprised at how quiet it actually is considering its size and age. Its neat because when you crank the mic amp trims all the way up the noise increases in a linear way and I'm used to there being this big last hurrah of noise at that last little bit of the trim range and so I always think of that last bit as the no-go zone. Well, the MX has a fully usable trim range.

All the mic amps work as well as all routing. That's encouraging.

Here is what 32 mic amps look like when dummy-loaded with 150ohms each...you can barely see the resistors in the MIC IN XLR jacks:

Here's another view of the mixer...I threw the headphones on it for perspective of its size. You know, its really not that big...just long. Its not too deep which is nice for being able to get to controls and see thir settings, and it is pretty thin too...low rake, but a very stiff chassis...

Anyway, good progress, and next will be recapping and modding the PSU.

Thread Information