Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24/8/2 right master channel cutting out

Cool username

Hi! Long time lurker here.

Recently got into analog recording as well an it is a lot of fun. Other threads in this forum helped me fix my Tascam 38. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with my mixing desk today. I hooked a compressor up to the master Insert and after I was done with it, I unplugged it but now on the master channel the ride side is cutting out. It works if a louder signal is coming through it but after a while cuts out again.
Not talking about the output, because also the LEDs go out when the signal cuts out.

I received the console well maintained. No faders or potis scratch. It just sat in a living room, wrapped in plastic foil for a while before I got it.

Maybe you guys have some suggestions cause I wanna know my options before I tear the whole console apart.

Thanks.

It could be that the insert jack has lose a bit off spring in the contact that closes it back to the direct signal. If cleaning does not work you may have to have a look inside and maybe change the jack.

One of my outboard compressors did the same thing as it had insert jacks for side chain, I just plugged in a TRS jack with the tip and ring bridged, saved taking it apart LOL.

Alan

I cleaned all my sockets with a stiff bristle brush used for rifles (22cal from memory) and Caig De-Oxit. This can be done without pulling the console apart. That said, I have had mine totally stripped down some years ago to clean all switches and pots plus do the 10dB/4dB modification.........I stood the console up and made sure it was supported from tipping over and undid all the screws holding the bottom cover plate on, pretty straight forward.

Here's a screen grab of the Spirit Studio master insert schematic.........

Attachments

• S-craft schematic xtract.JPG
    S-craft schematic xtract.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back