Soundcraft 762 24-track / 800b mixer

Timothy108

Hey folks, I have recently caught wind of a Soundcraft 762 24-track tape deck and 800b mixer for sale, and wondering what people here think it may be worth. The seller promises that this rig is all ready to go, in perfect shape and even comes with a patch bay. He wants me to make him an offer...I have seen varying prices around the web. A few people are selling the 800b for $500, others more in the $1000 range. I think i've seen the 762 listed in the $1000-1500 range. Just for the hell of it, I'm thinking of offering $1500 first...primarily beacuse it's all i can afford at the moment...would that be an insulting offer?

Is there anyone here who has used the 762 and/or the 800b mixer? It sure looks like a sweet recording rig, i'm beginning to dream pretty hard about the fun and creative freedom i would have with this machine! Yikes!

Anyhow, I would really appreciate any words of advice anyone has on this...thanks!!

I'm not sure about the mixer but make damn sure that the heads of that 762 have plenty of life left and have even ware. Otherwise, you will end up spending more money than the machine's worth on new heads.

On 1/4 or 1/2" it's not that big of a deal but on a 2" machine you better be sure of the heads. The machine's worth precisely what shape the heads are in. Make sure you either split the cost of getting a proper head report or, at the very least, inspect the heads closely and try to align the machine by the service manual and if it can align to the original frequency response specs then offer the guy something. Another problem is parts supply and cost so you have to take that into account as well, checking the recorder over very carefully.

It could prove to be a real nice setup, depending on condition!

Say hello to the $385 reel of tape! Creative freedom? Pay as you go!:eek:;)

I've seen some NOS 2" tape along with some low use ones go for less than similar 1/2", so it does depend but if ya want absolutely new then Dave's right on.:eek::D

Hey folks, I have recently caught wind of a Soundcraft 762 24-track tape deck and 800b mixer for sale, and wondering what people here think it may be worth. The seller promises that this rig is all ready to go, in perfect shape and even comes with a patch bay. He wants me to make him an offer...I have seen varying prices around the web. A few people are selling the 800b for $500, others more in the $1000 range. I think i've seen the 762 listed in the $1000-1500 range. Just for the hell of it, I'm thinking of offering $1500 first...primarily beacuse it's all i can afford at the moment...would that be an insulting offer?

Is there anyone here who has used the 762 and/or the 800b mixer? It sure looks like a sweet recording rig, i'm beginning to dream pretty hard about the fun and creative freedom i would have with this machine! Yikes!

Anyhow, I would really appreciate any words of advice anyone has on this...thanks!!

I think the 24 track was also marketed under the "ITAM" brand. I'm not sure who actually built it. Parts were scarce when it was new and as I recall, it's reputation was not too good.

Ditto Rick - Soundcraft multitracks have a bad rep. There's quite a bit about them on the web if you dig about a bit. I had the - ah - opportunity to pick up a 16 track last year but it was 'no good deal'.

Back