Sound Test - Vinyl vs CD

ROTFLMAO!!!! :D:D:D:D

THAT deserves a sticky!!

MAN! SOMEday I'm going to finally get another turntable...I used to have a great linear tracking Sony table that died...haven't gotten anything else and there is a whole box of LP's in storage that I haven't listened to in 20 or so years...

I'm in the process of trying to find a new turntable. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better, so long as it sounds decent!

-MD

I'm in the process of trying to find a new turntable. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better, so long as it sounds decent!

-MD

Two words:

Garage sales.

My wife and I have started hitting them each weekend. I don't know if they have a lot of them in your area, but man, the bargains are unbelieveable! I saw a fully-working system with receiver, EQ, turntable, and speakers going for $30. I only have $5 on me, otherwise I would have snatched it up. It wasn't a crap brand either. I can't remember the exact brand, but it was something along the lines of Sony, Toshiba, or something to that effect.

I wouldnt skimp on a turntable. Get something newer IMO Turntable technology HAS improved over the years.

I run my turntable into a vintage Fisher 400 Tube receiver ($300-$500 on Ebay) and it sounds amazing. I also use a pair of vintage Dynaco A25 speakers (around $100-$150 on ebay) which sound fantastic. They have such rich bass for such small speakers.

I cant even listen to CDs anymore:)

Before I bought my setup I did a lot of research on this site:

www.audiokarma.com

I would also strongly recomend a decent record cleaning machine.

Collecting Vinyl has become an awesome hobby that im very happy that i got into.

Anyone know the best way & /or cheapest way to clean vinyl? Can you use something like isoprophyl alcohol & make up pads like cleaning R2R recording heads? Washing up liquid? Any ideas?

I've got the record cleaning cloths that remove static but need something stronger to remove old beer & other party stains!

I wouldnt skimp on a turntable. Get something newer IMO Turntable technology HAS improved over the years.

I run my turntable into a vintage Fisher 400 Tube receiver ($300-$500 on Ebay) and it sounds amazing. I also use a pair of vintage Dynaco A25 speakers (around $100-$150 on ebay) which sound fantastic. They have such rich bass for such small speakers.

I cant even listen to CDs anymore:)

Before I bought my setup I did a lot of research on this site:

www.audiokarma.com

I would also strongly recomend a decent record cleaning machine.

Collecting Vinyl has become an awesome hobby that im very happy that i got into.

What kind of turntable do you have and how much scratch did it run you?

Same here. I haven't bought a cd in over a year but every chance I get I'm looking through used records. There are tons of mint classic lps out there. I just got Beatles 65 - mint, Donovans greatest hits, - mint, mamas and papas, original mono 1st album, - mint. Just from looking around locally. The Salvation Army is a good place to look too.

Right now I have a Technics sl-220. Not a great turntable but not bad. At some point I'll get a nice one.

The cartridge is more important than the turntable IMO, As long as you have a table that will spin at the right speed and not impart an excessive level of noise. I do have to say that there are plenty of CDs that sound great - not just fine, but great. Give Alan Parson's A Valid Path a listen - everything recorded in the digital domain and it sounds fabulous. Of course, Alan knows more about recording than just about anyone left alive today.

AK

What kind of turntable do you have and how much scratch did it run you?

i sprung for a solid acrylic Marantz (manufactured by Clearaudio) TT-15 which is an excellant value.

i got it for $1295 as an open box special (it usually runs for about $1595. it come with an $800 cartridge:

MarantzTT_15L.jpg

I also srpung for a Cloud 9 isolation table for it that realy helped the sound a lot. Since I got the table the bass became super clear and tight. It has raquet balls that isolate the table from the surounding environment.

cloud11.gif

400pic1.jpg

there are all levels of cleaning machines but i feel i bought the best "really good one' for the money - the vpi 16.5

vpi16.gif

i sprung for a solid acrylic Marantz (manufactured by Clearaudio) TT-15 which is an excellant value.

i got it for $1295 as an open box special (it usually runs for about $1595. it come with an $800 cartridge:

MarantzTT_15L.jpg

I also srpung for a Cloud 9 isolation table for it that realy helped the sound a lot. Since I got the table the bass became super clear and tight. It has raquet balls that isolate the table from the surounding environment.

cloud11.gif

400pic1.jpg

there are all levels of cleaning machines but i feel i bought the best "really good one' for the money - the vpi 16.5

vpi16.gif

NICE 'table. I'd really like one of the upperline Clearaudio 'rables.
I have a V.P.I. with an Audioquest arm and a Sumiko cart.

I also have the 16.5 record cleaner. I think that's the sweet spot, costwise, in record cleaners.

this test makes no sense cause its a youtube video.

who knows, maybe in the upper frequencies or dynamic range of the cd, things would have been different

;)

Back