Sorry, another dummy with a Bass problem!!!

Deaaaath

Hi all,
I'm on the final stages of recording--- recording the bass guitar. As you all probably know, recording bass can be very difficult! I've searched some old threads but I figured I'd bite the bullet and add myself to the long list of people asking how to record bass. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on an actual bass amp at the moment, but my guitar amp is very bass friendly and when I play bass out of it it sounds quite nice! Now my problem lies in getting the bass to sound good being recorded. Can anyone give some advice on micing the bass (SM-57) or tell me about going directly through my amp into the mixer (Teac model 3). I don't know the first thing about where to position the mics and what to EQ, etc. etc. Any info would be appreciated!!

Some things to try:

• First of all, forget about eq at this point. Try to get a good sound without it.
  • Get a helper
  • Play the bass while the helper tries different combinations of mic targets and distances from the cone.
  • Point the '57 at the center of the cone and try it at 6", then back it off in 6" or 1' increments and have the helper talk into the mic each time it is moved so that on playback you know what position you are hearing so you can recreate it.
  • Now do the same thing but point the mic to a spot in between the center and edge of the speaker cone and do the same thing with the distances.

If you go through all that and you can't find a sound you like, try pointing the mic so it is looking across the cone or maybe at a 45-degree angle.

I'm guessing that back from the amp is going to sound better...catch the longer soundwaves better, but you'll have to find "that spot".

Do you have two mics? Try putting one up to the cone and one backed off, then mix that to one track. You can get a lot of variation just by varying the relative level between the two tracks. You might better catch your attack and bite as well as the fuller tones.

Just some ideas.

Or you could just plug your bass into the 1/4 inch mic input on your m3 mixer and go direct.

And play with the 800hz eq

Yet another method: Get the amp to sound good in the room. Place the mic in the listening position from which you made the decision. Adjust location and eq to taste. Start recording. Don't be afraid to eq a bit more on playback/remix.

Back