Sony Walkman TPS-L2 'need help'

shynd

I have recently purchased an original Sony Walkman. When I purchased it everything worked until the old belts snapped, so I replaced the belts and everything seemed to be going fine. But for some reason the speed in playback fluctuates, for example the cassette could play fine for 10 mins and then randomly slow down for no apparent reason, then speed up again. Sometimes it slows down considerably and gets stuck that way. I was just looking for some advice on how to correct this.

Thanks

What kind of cassette are you using with the Walkman, and does the problem happen with any cassette you use in it?

Well shoot...I suspect there is something wrong then with the circuitry that regulates the speed of the capstan motor then, and my first guess would be failed electrolytic caps. But first thing to do is generally always check the related power supply.

Hmmm that doesn't sound too good at all. I may try lubricating the motor, and adjusting the speed on the small screw that's located at the top of the Walkman, but circuitry is something that's beyond my capabilities.
Thanks for the help though.

Try to find out if the motor should be lubricated at all before you do. And there's a speed adjustment pot on it?? Might just need cleaning and exercising. Can you post a pic?

Do NOT attempt to oil that motor!
I have never worked on a Walkman but I suspect the parts need Watchmakers oil and that applied with a single brush bristle in VERY specific placed. The motor will almost certainly use sintered bronze "lubed for life" bearings.

Most likely the speed control pot has gone "noisy" but if you touch it you will have forever have buggered the absolute tape speed. First make a test tape at say 1kHz on a known good machine. Once you have the WM sorted you can use a DMM on frequency range to reset the speed.

Dave.

I'm having the same issue

The player works great for about ten minutes the goes all slow then right back to normal,
dave what is a DMM?

Thank you

Back