Sony TC 755A problem

lukeslim

Hi Folks went to use my Machine today have not used in a while not since I moved house.
the play button seems to be same speed as fast forward.
I cannot play or record at normal speeds only goes fast forward:confused:
thanks for any info as to what to look for if I open her up.
Luke.

Same problem

I have the same problem and was wondering if you could tell me how you fixed the problem.

My email is tolikbog@hotmail.com and it would be much appreciated if I could get a reply from you asap.

Thank you,
Anatoli

Could be bad motor run capacitors for which Sony is notorious.

Each motor has one and they are either 1.5 or 2.0 mfd.

They run about $14.00 each which is absurd.

I took the machine to a electrical tech guy I know after i asked did he have any knowledge re Tape Machines.
He serviced it to restore capstan/pinch-wheel engagement both sides.Adjusted take up spool brake.
I had a valve amp serviced at the same time and the bill was for both jobs so can't give exact total but there where no parts replaced under $100 Aus. Works fantastic now.
Cheers Luke.

It may not be capstan speed, rather may be pinch roller related.
When I have had this happen it was because the pinch roller was not fully engaging with the capstan shfat, thus the tension on the takeup reel side was pulling the tape thru at high speed. If you have not used the machine in some time the solenoid that moves the pinch roller may have gummed up lubricant or be otherwise sticking. Try pushing the pinch roller over when you hit "play" and see if this solves the problem.

If this is the problem, some disassembly and clean/ relube of the pinch roller mechanisim would probably get you going.

Back