Sony T-440 Troubles

Blackdog.sn

Hey,
I have this two track sony reel to reel, everything plays fine, except the play button wont stay engaged/locked, so i have to hold it down. It locks down if i turn it off, push play, then turn it on. The only prob there is that 5min into the playing the tape starts to slow down.

Does anyone know where i might be able to fix it, or find out how to fix it. I've looked everywhere, but cannot find a solution.

Im a newb when it comes to open reel, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam N

ps i was also checking out the inputs/outputs on this thing, and it has two mic inputs, but also 2 aux inputs. Does that mean anything in ways of a mulitrack? And there is also a "tape switch" that has options "normal" and "special". any ideas

I can't help you with the button problem but I can tell you about the other things:

The "Mic Ins" are 1/8" left and right (meaning two tracks so it could be considered a "multitrack" in that respect).

The "Aux Ins" are RCA left and right (meaning you can connect a tape deck, CD player, or etc.. but it will use those two tracks).

You could try connecting an Aux to left and a mic in left to see if you can layer the two at the same time.

The "Tape Switch" is if you're using different sized reels. "Normal" is for smaller reels (3" or 5") and I'd venture to say that "Special" is for larger reels (7").

If your tape slows down 5minutes in play mode either your motor is going bye bye (or needs to be cleaned) or some settings might have been changed for the reel size you're playing back but I'd think it's your capstan motor before anything else, maybe... it's just a guess.

-- Adam Lazlo

The tape only slows down when i have the play button pressed down before i turn the machine on. I think if i hold down play it runs pretty well. Ill keep looking into it.

One more question: In the recording options, there are switches and levels for "SOS/ECHO". What is that?

Blackdog.sn said:
The tape only slows down when i have the play button pressed down before i turn the machine on. I think if i hold down play it runs pretty well. Ill keep looking into it.

One more question: In the recording options, there are switches and levels for "SOS/ECHO". What is that?

The "SOS/ECHO" is pretty cool. It's a tape echo option. I believe there's a dial for it as well? SOS means Sound On Sound meaning you'll hear the real-time sound as it's being echo'd and ECHO is just the echo of the incoming signal.

Hmm, if the play button is doing that then it's something that has to do with the play lock not engaging fully. You're forcing it to work harder and you could be stretching the tape out if you keep doing it. The pinch roller pressing too hard. I'd look at the capstan pinch roller to see if it's engaging fully or too much. There might be a little bit of tweaking (as to specifics I don't know). Could be a spring that has no more 'bounce', a gunked up swivel arm, a dry/gunky solenoid, the rubber on the pich roller is worn out, and/or a loose or tired belt... just some other ideas.

-- Adam Lazlo

Back