Son Of Tascam 58 Story...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
As often is the case, this thread has its origins elsewhere in some kind of "it followed me home" thread. In this case it is here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/analog-recording-and-mixing-tape-and-gear/ahhhh-geeeez-somebody-buy-quick-386055/[SUP][/SUP]

For $450 I picked up...

Some really scary 8-channel RCA-1/4" TS snakes (low quality connectors, poor assembly, LOTS of electrical tape...will probably just hack them up to keep the multi-channel cable, and probably only one of them at that) and a HOSA brand snake of questionable condition:

image.jpeg

A box of 1/2" tape and reels (again, scary...will be just keeping the reels and boxes):

image.jpeg

A Tascam M-312 (not 'B' version)...haven't even plugged it in yet...has a deformed bottom panel, some weird wiring at the back (maybe for external phantom supply?), is missing the side panels and a couple other bits, and is pretty scungy:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

AND...

An early Tascam 58-OU (unbalanced I/O only) with original operation/maintenance manual (needs cleaning up and I don't yet know if it's a complete manual and whether or not it's marked up inside), and factory RM-501 rack ears and period appropriate CS-607 tilting/rolling rack (the stoppers for the tilting mechanism are shot and the frame is really loose/wobbly):

image.jpeg

What I know so far about the crown jewel of the catch and subject of this thread, the 58-OU, is this:

• The pinch roller is shot (bad)
• The channel 8 sync LED is bent and up inside the chassis (but still lights...no big deal)
• Spool mode in REW doesn't work (arg)
• The feet are long gone (oh well)
• All lamps and indicators light up and function appropriately :thumbs up:
• None of the solenoids are frozen with sticky rubber cushions :thumbs up:
• The capstan motor spins up nicely and is really quiet :thumbs up:
• All transport functions seem to work aside from REW spool mode :thumbs up:
• Reel motors are strong, smooth and quiet when operated :thumbs up:
• The chassis looks straight and relatively unscathed for its age (will clean up nice I believe...:thumbs up:)
• The heads, guides and lifters all say this is a relatively low hours machine, and the operating condition of the motors seems to support this as well :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

I haven't rolled tape yet...need tape first...and will need a new pinch roller too. The one on it isn't gooey, but is coming apart when actuated against the capstan shaft. I haven't opened up the cardbay to confirm all cards are there yet. And I don't know if it even passes audio input to output. So, lots to be discovered, but I think I'm pleased with the acquisition. I've always liked the 58. I think it is arguably Tascam's most handsome tabletop 8-track machine.

Cool!!!! Looking forward to this story.:guitar:
How long before you grab a reel of tape to test it out? I'd be itching to check all the functions.

I was wondering when you'd start in on this.

Sounds a bit worse than the listing, if i remember right, but still a hell of a deal.

I'm sure you'll get it all right as rain.
:D

@ j.harv: I dunno...money is tight right now (sold gear to purchase the 58 package) and time is tight too. In the middle of still settling into the new house, doing some minor remodeling and getting married in a couple months. I'm itching as well, but like anybody I've got a bunch of other priorities. I certainly am curious though. :) I really do believe I'm gonna have to replace the pinch roller or have it re-rubbered before I can roll tape...took a closer look at it last night and while it isn't gooey it is soft, and really lumpy around one half of the surface. It's toast.

@ RFR: actually it's better than I expected! I was anticipating noisy motors, burned out meter lamps, more cosmetic "character"...was also expecting more wear on the heads too, but all in all it seems in solid shape! I don't recall what the listing said...I do t recall it made any promises about the condition though. Anyway, it's a good place to start as far as how it looks so far.

Checked the cardbay...all cards present and accounted for. Also, took a closer look at the snakes; I haven't tested them but it actually looks like I got one janky 8-channel snake, and THREE 2 meter 8-channel HOSA snakes in good condition!

For $450....what's that....£300, I'd say you got a bit of a bargain Cory. The mixer doesn't look skanky on the pics....

Can't wait 'til you get your Ebay Vintage Recording Site up and running:D

Got a name for you......CTC - Vintage Recording..........''doing it like the good 'ol days'

CTC?

Cory's Treasure Chest of course.

Al

It'll be good to see a new Sweetbeats story thread :D Still, I want you to finish fixing that Tascam 238 so I can buy it off you!

Really excited to see a 'Story Of...' thread Cory!

I've got some kit here in my menagerie that could use the Cory touch. Perhaps you could start repairing gear to fund your own pet projects :)

As often is the case, this thread has its origins elsewhere in some kind of "it followed me home" thread. In this case it is here:

• None of the solenoids are frozen with sticky rubber cushions :thumbs up:

Hey Cory, nice find! Did you deal with solenoid issues with the other 58? My friends have a hurtin' unit 58 that seems to have stuck lifter solenoids. Just curious if it's easy to fix. (This machine has some PCB cracks from a previous owner dropping it so there are bigger fish to fry, but it would be nice if at least the transport were problem-free).

Stuck lifters is likely a solenoid cushion that has turned to goo. Teac in Montebello CA had new ones for about $1 apiece a few years ago. Have to remove the solenoid plunger and clean the goo off with iOS alcohol, put the new cushion in there (it's like a rubber washer) and Shazam! Good as new.

You're welcome!

Hey thanks for the encouragement, everybody, as sick and misguided as you all may be haha. :drunk:

Cleaned up and checked out the manual. It's all there, and with the exception of the first couple and last couple pages being a bit bunged up, it's in EXCELLENT shape...not even a pencil mark. Almost looks like it was never looked at. I know most people don't get excited about manuals, but I do...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

And there was a little surprise tucked in the back...a number of original Fostex promotional sales flyers/documents:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

And on a more important note, all amp cards present and accounted for...

image.jpeg

These projects take time. Cory will, no doubt, update as he makes progress and has time. If you look at the time-lines on the other threads, they happen across many months and it could be weeks before Cory has time to complete some work, take pictures and then post.

As Alton Brown used to say: Your patience will be rewarded :)

Indeed. Thanks fellas. Many are the priorities these days. What's been posted thus far was just the initial "what exactly did I drag home" investigation results.

More to come...but yes, my projects drag wayyyyy out. They go in spurts. And when time affords me opportunity to plug away at any audio-related project it's gonna be getting the master section of the Tascam M-__ console put back together, and finishing the upgrades to the I/O modules (case in point...that project started 7 years ago I think). But Mr. 58 will get some love at some point. Can't afford any 1/2" tape right now and don't have a 1/2" alignment tape either. Sold all that stuff off years ago thinking I was done with the 1/2" format.

Finally found my bag of miscellaneous Tascam hardware...there are a number of screws missing or of incorrect type on the 58 and I'm pretty sure I have proper replacements in the bag.

Also went through the box of junk tapes. It's probably all junk, but there are about 8 good 1/2" metal reels in there, one of them a precision Scotch reel, and there were a couple surprises in there:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sooo...yeah...a black Fostex 1/2" metal take up reel in great condition in original box, and an STL test tape. It's probably sticky...I can't find any info that would help me know what tape stock they used, but it's the proper tape for the 58 (15ips IEC 250nWb/m). I don't know if it is a basic tape or multi-frequency, but at some point I'll bake it and see.

Back