Son Of Tascam 58 Story...

Yep. Minty with manuals. $150 shipped. Wanted to have the proper matching n/r for the 58. Wasn't a super great deal but they're all there and in good shape

I already have 8 channels of dbx 150X (I'm still trying to sell). I could have just used those. But I remember the first time around (when I had my first 58, which was the balanced "OB" version), I was so bent on keeping things balanced I thought "no way can I use the DX-4Ds...they're unbalanced!" Then I learned more about what signal balancing is for and how it works and where it came from...learned the sonic specs of the 58 are better when using the unbalanced I/O...learned more about the circuitry added to the signal path in order to balance and unbalance and that the 58 is (of course) internally -10dBv unbalanced. So this time around since my new-to-me 58 is the unbalanced "OU" version I just wanted matching stuff. And the DX-4Ds are well designed...so the 150Xs just gotta go. Nothing against them. I think they are great n/r units particularly if you DO need the balanced I/O and higher nominal level range. Anyway, that's why I (at the moment) have 16 channels of Type I dbx noise reduction. 18 if you count the 150X I'm keeping.

Looks to me like they Tascam DX-4D dbx units, from the bits that I can see through the wrapping.

Haha, on my phone all I saw was greenish wrapping. :D

@ sweetbeats, I guess you have plenty of noise reduction, eh?

What is the most important accessory one ought to purchase for his/her rare open reel analog multitrack recorder/reproducer?

(I have an answer...I'm wondering who else thinks like I do...)

Go!

Hmm. For me, the remote is important but I think the one thing everyone needs is that little plastic 'screw driver' for doing calibration. Using a metal one can mess with the magnetic field of the machine and make doing a cal far more time consuming.

Every time the metal screw driver comes in toward the machine the meters change...

I'm curious to hear you 'must have' item Cory!

All good responses...and I agree particularly things like tweakers and cal tapes would be high on the list...I would add to that a good multimeter accurate across audio bandwidth...and an oscilloscope and a tone generator. Essentials. BUT...none of them are necessary if you can't keep the machine going in the first place for lack of spares for irreparable or irreplaceable parts.

The #1 "accessory", the lack of which "keeps me up at night" (not literally) IS...

A spare machine or "parts deck".

All those other tools and equipment are relatively readily available. But, if you've got a rare and relatively desirable machine, spares and/or replacement parts and assemblies are even harder to come by...and getting harder.

Hm...why am I bringing this up?

Perhaps he's found a secret cavern filled with NOS Tascam gear, and he's going to disperse it among us, the Tascam faithful, who are keeping this stuff alive....

I can hope right?

Well you all should know by now, and if you don't you will now, my leading in is always more exciting than the reality...I'm only talking about a parts machine for the 58, but it is one that is familiar to me. years ago I sold the first 58 I had to evm1024 after I toasted it...I sold him the toasted machine and my parts machine. He fixed up the toasted one, and has since sold it, and he has graciously offered the parts unit back to me for a very fair price if I want it, along with the rare extender card for the rec/play amp cards...way cool. The parts machine has been a little scavenged since he's had it in order to get the toasted one going again, but there is still a complete headblock assembly, at least 6 amp cards, capstan and reel motors, etc. I originally got the parts machine for the cost of shipping...it looked like it had taken a header off a loading dock:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have to raise some funds first, but I'm happy to have a line on a parts machine for the 58.

So I did make it up north last week to collect the parts 58 and some other bits.

Here is the transport...pretty hashed BUT all the guts are there, some of the cosmetic bits are in better shape than mine...it's just good to have spare parts. All the amp cards are present too which is a bonus:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here are some more of the guts, but also a good spare reel clamper and reel table, and a spare pinch roller...needs re-rubbered:

image.jpeg

And check this out...totally forgotten I'd bought these parts...new, unused tension arm springs, tape guides and lifters:

image.jpeg

And here is the elusive amp card extender board and two spare amp cards:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And yes, some of the important bits you might have noticed were missing from the transport were included too, like the capstan motor (spins nice and smooth),

image.jpeg

...aaaaannnnnnd the headblock assembly, which is actually in really nice shape:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also got a reel motor carcass (lotta meat left on it),

image.jpeg

...and a full set of high quality new sealed relays to replace the relays on the amp cards:

image.jpeg

I also came home with a collection of parts from (I think) a Tascam 32 or 34, and the entire control section and guts of an M-512 mixer:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The pinch roller off of my 58 is off to Terry Witt for a rebuild, I've got brand new bearings on-hand now for all rolling elements of the tape path, and last but not least I just bought an uber rare RC-50 remote off of eBay for $50.

Pinch roller came back last week...looks awesome as always. Haven't reassembled with the new bearings yet.

Also got the RC-50 remote last week, but didn't have a chance to open the box until a couple nights ago. So now its time for an RC-50 exposé!

Out of the box it came...its in pretty good shape! Needs a little spit-shine to it and the ELCO connector housing needs some old adhesive removed...and I'd forgotten how BIG the RC-50 remote is for a basic function remote...I had it in my head it was, like, RC-71 size but nooooo...I put a cassette in the picture below so you can see how big it is:

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

So I thought "cool...its all here, looks to be in good shape...I should hook it up to the 58 really quick and just make sure it works...nope...I couldn't help myself but to start cleaning it. There's something wrong with me. I'm more interested typically in cleaning and cosmetically refurbishing something before even trying it out. Is that weird? Anyway, got the goo off the connector housing...this thing really is in good shape! The ELCO pins are intact, no oxidation visible...just nice and clean. I love these more pro elements of the 50-series machines...now that's a proper connector!

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6675.JPG

And look at the cable...its massive...and I totally expected to see "Belden" or something screened on the cable...nope, Tascam put their name on it. The cable is about 26 to 27 feet long...like 8 meters. With all that fat cable and the large bulky size of the remote its got some heft to it.

IMG_6676.JPG

So I got the remote itself wiped down...expect for a scuff on the tape counter screen and several small chips in the paint, its in great shape.

IMG_6677.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

And I had to do this...this is part of why I'm excited to have a 58 again...I like sets of things that go together; things that match up. The 50-series machines were produced at about the same time as my prototype Tascam 12 x 8 inline console; the 50 series were developed as a frontal attack on the pro market targeted at the video production industry, and the M-__ console certainly presents as a product design of the same mindset...they have the same color scheme right down to the orange accents. I had always pictured a 58 with the M-__ console, but then I fried my first 58, got burned out on the M-__...went in a different direction with Ampex/MCI equipment...I'm coming full-circle I guess. Anyway, look at the RC-50 remote color with the M-__ console...sweet!

IMG_6679.JPG

Ohhhhkayyyyy yeah-yeah-yeah I finally took it out to the shop to test and see if it actually works, and it does...every function. Cool!

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

So, with that, its time to tuck it away safely in a labeled double-wall box until needed...need to work on the 58 next.

IMG_6683.JPG

Last edited:
Well this sucks a little...I pulled the 58 out of the CS-607 rack tonight and noticed for the first time one of the plastic grab handles on the side is missing.

I know I used to have a spare one of these, but I have a faint memory of tossing it in the garbage after all the first-round 58 stuff was gone. :(

So I'm looking for one of these...I believe the part is common to the 58 and the 52, and is the same part for the left side as for the right. If you have one of these (I'm pointing to it in the picture below) please reach out:

IMG_7678.JPG

I think I've got a lead on a replacement for the missing handle on the takeup side of the machine...saw a pile of listings hit eBay for a bunch of 58 parts. I messaged the Seller...it took over a week but the Seller got back to me and says he has the part. I have to wait for next steps because he/she is out of town, but...so am I at the moment.

Some people on business trips kick off their shoes at the end of a long day in the hotel room and read the paper...or watch TV. Others start removing relays, caps and opamps from rec/play amplifier PCBs...

IMG_7913.JPG

It's a bit more time-consuming a task on these boards than others I've worked with, and I knew it would be...I always sort of dreaded the idea of recapping and/or re-chipping the 58 amp cards and replacing the relays because the assemblies are a bit more dense than most stuff I like to work on, and they are double-sided (so there are solder joints on both sides of the board). Fortunately the PCB material is a good quality glass fiber, so they can stand more heat. This is helpful because it takes a little more time for some of the double-sided joints, and the. Water quality boards are less prone to having pads and traces delaminate from the board. Good stuff.

I'm replacing all the electrolytic caps, have nice new Omron relays to put in, and I'm removing the stock 4558 audio path opamps and putting in some good quality sockets. I'm not sure yet what will fill the sockets. Scoff away, haters, but I might put 5532s in there. Antiquated by modern standards but still a good chip, and everything I've ever had that uses the 5532 I like the sound.

Hello , I need the pinch roller rod and spring and pin if you have them.

Attachments

• Tascam rod 3.jpg
    Tascam rod 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Tascam 52 rod 3.jpg
    Tascam 52 rod 3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
Back