Thread: .....and for something completely different........

Thanks

.....and for something completely different........

Sign in to disable this ad
    One of my lots in life has been this thing called congenital mirror movement disorder. It's a fancy name for saying that if I make a fist with my right hand, my left hand will try to do that too. It's never been a big deal except for two things.... typing.....and playing guitar....

So after spending a frustrating year and a half trying to play and ready to quit the dang thing, a friend suggested a tenor guitar. Well that worked out extremely well!! I could control my left hand better with not as many fingers to move and by the tender age of 50, I was starting to have fun playing.

One of the problems though with a tenor is the the thin sound from the lack of bass notes, so I decided to tinker and this is what I came up with.

file-dec-19-2-50-18-pm-jpeg

I ended up octaving the D and G strings similar to a twelve string. The problem with doing that is I have to modify the bridge. Here's the one I did yesterday. It was an old top load Ovation Applause that is going to be the one that gets banged around in the camper.

file-dec-19-2-51-02-pm-jpeg

The other thing I did was try to spread out the strings on the neck similar to a mandocello or bouzouki. This also seemed to help me with my coordination problem,

file-dec-19-2-52-38-pm-jpeg

When I was trying to figure this all out, I used an old epiphone 12 string as a prototype to figure all this out and get the string spacing right. I ended up having to slot the saddle to keep the strings in place, but it also allowed me to double up on the B and high E strings. So far I've done 2 twelve strings 3 six strings and a squire strat like this with mixed results. Intonation is really bad on the strat. I'm thinking of going to a 12 string bridge.

The problem with doing 6 strings is they have to stay like this and have no resale value (...and yes, I've even done a <gasp> Martin). The twelve string all I have to do is replace the saddle. I am thinking about trying a twelve string with a trapeze to see if I can minimize the guitar modification further.

I am open to any suggestions. I've been playing on this configuration for about three years now and really like it. I guess getting repeatability is what I'm after....
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    It's cool that you found a way around your problem...but I'm not understanding one thing.
    If you have a problem with a regular guitar...you right and left hands want to do the same thing...how is that different with a tenor guitar...?
    Maybe I'm just not understanding the whole concept of your "fix"...or your actual problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    It's cool that you found a way around your problem...but I'm not understanding one thing.
    If you have a problem with a regular guitar...you right and left hands want to do the same thing...how is that different with a tenor guitar...?
    Maybe I'm just not understanding the whole concept of your "fix"...or your actual problem.
    Its kinda hard to explain.... my right hand is dominant.... if I squeeze a ball with my right hand, my left hand will halfway mimic the movement but really weakly... I can still control my left hand, but if Im not paying attention it will mimic the right one.

When I play the guitar, the real problem seems to start happening when I try to position 4 fingers at a time, three or less I seem to do fine... for example I still practice a Bm most everyday... for 3 years.... it takes 4 fingers on 4 strings... I can almost do it during a slow chord change, but it still looks like mashed potatoes (....hows that for a visual.... ). To answer your question, I think that the tenor having less strings (DGBE) allows for more 3 finger open chord combinations. Barre chords are also three fingers....
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    I think that the tenor having less strings (DGBE) allows for more 3 finger open chord combinations. Barre chords are also three fingers....
    Ahh...now I get it. Less strings, less fingers needed.
    So you are able to keep some "separation" between the right and left...it just gets wonky when you have to use most/all of your fingers independently.

Maybe you should play lefty...since your right hand is more dominant. That way you "mashed potatoes" hand only needs to hold a pick...and not even that if you just pick with one or two fingers....but I bet it would be even harder to relearn the guitar as a lefty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Maybe you should play lefty...since your right hand is more dominant.
    now that is not a bad idea to try.... right after I saw this, I was trying to make a D shape with the right hand and it was all backwards, but it might be worth a try.... I've got an old silvertone with a floating bridge I can set up left handed..... I've been thinking about a New York reset on its neck anyway......

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Bachelor

Thanks
    ...... alright...... I was messing around with lefty playing last night....... there is no effffff’n way........ .......
    Brad Bachelor

Thread Information