Some pics of my new set up

SteveM

I've finally got a room up and running. It's been a while. Thought I'd put up some pics. Funny, I went out the other day to try and find a 4 channel xlr patch box and I actually found one! :eek::confused: at a record/thrift shop down the street! They used to have a studio in there. It's the type you mount in the floor but it can sit on the floor too. Perfect, now I don't need to keep reaching behind to the back of the deck! Same place I found my LA-40.

Looks like I need something up on the walls.

Underneath the roll around is my Concertone preamp that Zee helped me build.

It small but it feels like a work space. That's what I like about it.

Attachments

• washingtonst 002.jpg
    washingtonst 002.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 124
  • washingtonst 004.jpg
    washingtonst 004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 118
Looks nice.

Turn those speakers up so tweeters are vertical, and you'll get more natural highs and upper-mids.

What make are they?

Ooo.. me likes! The LA-40 is what you used to match up the 440 and M-30 (or m-35?), right? Cool, cozy studio space. :)

wow nice!
Steve, did you move in a new place or something, as I recall you were looking for a place ???? , also it was kinda' long time ago...

You gotta fire-up that VU-meter on Concertone. I'd say the best way would be to build a solid-state buffer/amp for it with its own powersupply, it's an easy thing really and can be built of scrap junk parts (i've got ton of those ...heh heh). I can built it for you, but I'd need the VU-meter on my table to do so. Or build it yourself if you feel like you up to it, I can send you a schematics, you'll need to do some testes with the meter first though and send me the DATA .... heh heh

The walls are kinda' empty in your studio :drunk:

Looks nice.

Turn those speakers up so tweeters are vertical, and you'll get more natural highs and upper-mids.

What make are they?

Those are Roland RSM 90s. I'll try that out GCalo. See if it makes a difference.

Ooo.. me likes! The LA-40 is what you used to match up the 440 and M-30 (or m-35?), right? Cool, cozy studio space. :)

Thanks Daniel! Yeah, that's the impedance matcher. I've actually go two. One is sitting on top of the roll around and the other is in the rack space to the right.

wow nice!
Steve, did you move in a new place or something, as I recall you were looking for a place ???? , also it was kinda' long time ago...

You gotta fire-up that VU-meter on Concertone. I'd say the best way would be to build a solid-state buffer/amp for it with its own powersupply, it's an easy thing really and can be built of scrap junk parts (i've got ton of those ...heh heh). I can built it for you, but I'd need the VU-meter on my table to do so. Or build it yourself if you feel like you up to it, I can send you a schematics, you'll need to do some testes with the meter first though and send me the DATA .... heh heh

The walls are kinda' empty in your studio :drunk:

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I just moved to a new apartment.... It's been a while. My stuff has been in storage.

I'd love to do that! Anytime. That would be great. If you want to build it I'll install it or either way. I also wonder about that purple rectifier tube. If I should find a solid state replacement. Sometimes I get static, if I move the unit it goes and stays away. It could be a loose ground. I've checked the tubes and they seemed to be all in there good.

You basically rebuilt that thing with my hands. :drunk::D

Ahhhhhh!!! A 440 4 track!!!

Im working on getting mine going. How do you like it?? Any quirks?? Issues?? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG00170-20101011-2113.jpg
    IMG00170-20101011-2113.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 72
Ahhhhhh!!! A 440 4 track!!!

Im working on getting mine going. How do you like it?? Any quirks?? Issues?? Suggestions?

No, no quirks. Runs and sounds excellent. I love it. One thing I'm not sure about yet though is punch ins. I'm worried that even with the remote I may not be able to punch in. I'll have to try it to see if it makes any noise.

I actually put a bit of work into it. Got new channel cards to run 15/30, replaced a blown transisitor. 2 of the channels were not operating right when I got it.
Easy to work on and trace problems though. Runs and sounds great. I was lucky enough to have got an adapter that came on my capstan so it can run at 15 or 30.

What's the issues with yours?

Steve , the "purple" one is voltage regulator. V12 is rectifier tube.
Honestly, I would keep the power supply as it is.
I have a circuit for an analog VU-Meter movement that I kind of like and it works really well. I used this circuit for few of my units with some slight variations. The thing is that it may need some components adjustment depending on what exactly VU-meter you have, so it's hard to predict how well it will work for a specific meter, but it will work :drunk:

Here's schematics, check it out, this is actually schematics of FISHER K-10 spring reverb that I modified, but look into VU-meter circuit section , you can't miss it, and the power supply for it is below in Power supply section:
http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fisher_k_10/dr_zee_fisher_k10_spacexpander_spring_reverb_schematics.gif
I actually have a general components layout and connection diagram for the meter circuit only, here's link: http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fisher_k_10/dr_zee_fisher_k10_spacexpander_spring_reverb_vu_meter_board.gif .
So take a look at this stuff, let me know if you up to it. I have bunch of components if you need any. You would just need to buy a circuit board at radioshack ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102843# ), you can use just half of it.

email me or something :drunk:

JLM Audio in AUstralia (don't know about the shipping) has a VU meter kit as well, can just get the PCB too, but that Dr Zee radshack one looks damn cool to try.

Steve , the "purple" one is voltage regulator. V12 is rectifier tube.
Honestly, I would keep the power supply as it is.
I have a circuit for an analog VU-Meter movement that I kind of like and it works really well. I used this circuit for few of my units with some slight variations. The thing is that it may need some components adjustment depending on what exactly VU-meter you have, so it's hard to predict how well it will work for a specific meter, but it will work :drunk:

Here's schematics, check it out, this is actually schematics of FISHER K-10 spring reverb that I modified, but look into VU-meter circuit section , you can't miss it, and the power supply for it is below in Power supply section:
http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fisher_k_10/dr_zee_fisher_k10_spacexpander_spring_reverb_schematics.gif
I actually have a general components layout and connection diagram for the meter circuit only, here's link: http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fisher_k_10/dr_zee_fisher_k10_spacexpander_spring_reverb_vu_meter_board.gif .
So take a look at this stuff, let me know if you up to it. I have bunch of components if you need any. You would just need to buy a circuit board at radioshack ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102843# ), you can use just half of it.

email me or something :drunk:

OK, cool. Will email you. :)

Back