Soldering Iron recommendations (I'm in the UK)

altruistica

I'm looking to get a finer tipped soldering iron for working on the TASCAM MS-16 audio cards (man they're small).

Can anyone recommend a suitable iron...I'm in the UK.

Thanks
Al

Hi there,
I got a new iron last Christmas. It was from Maplin - model a55kj.
It's got adjustable temperature with a few presets, and came with a set of tips. One of them is very fine.

Hope that's useful. :)

Hi there,
I got a new iron last Christmas. It was from Maplin - model a55kj.
It's got adjustable temperature with a few presets, and came with a set of tips. One of them is very fine.

Hope that's useful. :)

Oh, and replacement parts are available. :p
I put too much pressure on the iron and damaged it. It's detachable from the main control unit and was very cheap to replace.
£10 on ebay, I think.

Thanks for that input guys:

Using the one mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunwJ1dwMeA

What kind of temperature should I be using to remove the relays on the MS-16 (K1 & K2) if they need replacing? Also, I've laways soldered using just solder.....should I be using flux (I always thought it was already in the solder).

Thanks
Al

Use of flux helps remove rust, keeps re-oxidation from occurring, reduces the possibility of damage to components and helps hold the liquid solder in place among other things. If you have "flux core" solder, then yes, it's already in the solder. But usually, you're not going to get fine (24ga and smaller) to have flux core...

48W LCD Display Solder Station | Maplin

That ^ is 1/2 price at the moment and I have used one for 3 years now. I was a 40yrs devotee of the Weller Magnastat and they are still great irons but very expensive.

Re flux? Great for heavy jobs, backs of pots etc but not needed for fine work.
Tip care and cleaning. Wipe with dry paper (I use Plenty!) or brass wool. Do NOT use damp sponges, especially at Pbfree temperatures, it will crack the iron plating.
Once wiped, tin well and wipe and solder.
Always clean and tin generously when putting the iron down. Do NOT leave the iron "burning" for ages while you cut cables, make tea etc. Modern temp' controlled tips are fit for use after at most a minute from switch on.

You can still buy 60/40 lead from CPC/Farnell and others and I would use it rather than Pbfee solder. Just wash handies after!

Dave.

Thanks for those suggestions guys.

Dave,
The iron you suggested (a steal at £20) is unfortunately collection only from Maplins, Northern Ireland.......otherwise a bargain if I ever saw one.
I've sorted the audio cards for the moment but if anyone sees an iron suitable for this kind of work on a special anywhere in the UK, feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Al

Thanks for those suggestions guys.

Dave,
The iron you suggested (a steal at £20) is unfortunately collection only from Maplins, Northern Ireland.......otherwise a bargain if I ever saw one.
I've sorted the audio cards for the moment but if anyone sees an iron suitable for this kind of work on a special anywhere in the UK, feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Al

Doh! done unnestan' Do you mean I can't get one delivered here in One Horse Northampton or YOU are in NI and they won't deliver to you?
I shall be pissed if the former because your post reminded me to get one in as a spare! It can sit under the bed till needed.

Dave.

Doh! done unnestan' Do you mean I can't get one delivered here in One Horse Northampton or YOU are in NI and they won't deliver to you?
I shall be pissed if the former because your post reminded me to get one in as a spare! It can sit under the bed till needed.

Dave.

I guess he's talking about the iron I recommended as I'm in NI.
Sorry; I didn't imagine it was going to be unavailable elsewhere. :eek:

They have it on ebay with free UK postage, but they're looking forty quid. :facepalm:

I guess he's talking about the iron I recommended as I'm in NI.
Sorry; I didn't imagine it was going to be unavailable elsewhere. :eek:

They have it on ebay with free UK postage, but they're looking forty quid. :facepalm:

No Steen, I THINK he meant my suggestion but I am not sure now, even more confused, going for me tablets and a lie down.

Dave.

Back