So what kind of tape should I use...

Aloha

My buddy is going to charge me $100 to set up those two ampex ag440's that I have. What kind of tape should I get them biased for, quantagy 456?

Yes, 456 should do the trick for those Ampex machines. You might be able to set them up for Ampex 499 but, you might have to get the electronics modded and that would mean some serious coin to be able to hit the tape a little harder.

456 on a NAB standard format should be more then enough to get great sound.

$100 bucks to calibrate 2 machines is a good price! Does this guy have a lot of experience?

Cheers! :)

He's kind of a freelance electronics engineer and he deals alot with studio's, broadcasting stations, and the like. I think he said he's been working on tape machines since the 60's. So that gives him alot of experience. He came over the other night and gave the machines a good look over. He was pretty impressed with one of them and he said the other was still not all that bad. He told me that after he sets them up I should have no problem getting at least $300-400 Canadian for them if I ever decided to let them go. Don't think I'll do that for awhile though, unless somthing realy cool comes along. Think I'll set them up with 456 it seems to be the standard and still readily available.

Back