Slow rewind, some noise on Tascam 22

leddy

Hey folks. My 22-2 had been working great for a while now. Now it has been slowing down in rewind. FF and play are all fine. The left reel wobbles more than it used to. Makes a slight squeal sometimes.

No signs of sticky tape. Belts are no more than a year old or so.

Thoughts?

:confused::)

I'm not 100% sure this could be the issue, but could the tape tension be off? What kind of tape have you been using?

The 22-2 is set up for 1 mm thick tape. I don't know if 1.5 mm thick tape would throw off the tension or not.

-MD

I'm no expert, but if you picked up a wobble, and the table isn't pulling the tape, I would suspect, in order:
  • table has become loose on the motor shaft - check set screw
  • worn-out motor bearing - much less likely, but would cause the same symptom

Excuse?

Surely, you jest. The thickest tape that I am aware of (and I'm new to this) is 1.5 mil (thousandth of an inch), which is equal to 0.038 millimeters (mm).

I'm no expert, but if you picked up a wobble, and the table isn't pulling the tape, I would suspect, in order:
  • table has become loose on the motor shaft - check set screw
  • worn-out motor bearing - much less likely, but would cause the same symptom

I'll check the set screw. It does seem like the shaft has more play than it should. Maybe it is the bearing.

Definitely not the set screws. I removed the reel table and the set screws were hard to loosen. The motor shaft has no side play, but travels in and out a little. About the same as the other one. It spins without noise, and when I press stop it continues to spin nice and smooth so I feel it is probably not the motor bearings. I'll put some tape on with the cover off and watch everything.

Strange...

...to me, anyway. Where's the wobble coming from?

I would imagine there's a little end play in the motor shaft.

Check to see that the brake is not dragging. Could be the brake solenoid or driver has failed, or is marginal. Might not detect this in play or FF.

I'm suspecting someone bumped it and slightly bent the spindle on the table. With the weight of a full reel it was out of balance enough to wobble into the brake, make noise and slow down. I loosened the brake it it rewinds at normal speed, but still makes a little rubbing noise. It's not bent very much. I have a spare 22-2 and the spindles on it aren't any straighter and it still works fine. That's why I did not suspect it.

It's working better, but I should replace that table and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

I replaced the reel table and it did not solve the issue.

I think it's a motor bearing. The shaft of the motor is straight. With the reel table off I can power it up, put it in rewind and watch it spin perfectly. With an empty reel it's still fine. Rewinding tape, it works well until the reel starts to get full, then it progressively gets more wobbly and starts making noise as more weight is being spun.

I have a parts deck to keep this one going. How hard is it to swap them out?

I replaced the reel table and it did not solve the issue.

I think it's a motor bearing. The shaft of the motor is straight. With the reel table off I can power it up, put it in rewind and watch it spin perfectly. With an empty reel it's still fine. Rewinding tape, it works well until the reel starts to get full, then it progressively gets more wobbly and starts making noise as more weight is being spun.

I have a parts deck to keep this one going. How hard is it to swap them out?

You might want to check the motor mounting if the motor itself is loose, you would get similar symptoms. A worn bearing will be unbearable before ou get lots of wobble.

more...

• is the reel bent or warped, or the hub screws loose?
  • is the reel secured to the reel table properly, i.e., locked and tightened?
Can you post a video of this?

Had the same (almost) problem.....

With my MSR 16 with the supply side motor. Did all the standard checks, swappped motors and was ready to buy new motors until I took the offending motor apart. Turned out to be the area where the brushes make contact with the armature(?) had been coverd with "gunk" or residue from the brushes. I cleaned the area with alcohol and a old toothbrush, then hit it with 600 grit wet/dry emery cloth wetted with alcohol and blew it off with air. It runs like a new motor (strong) and got rid of the motor noise. The bearings need replacement but I'll do that later. Hope this helps.

Jerry

I think I can rule out the motor mount. Feels tight.

I will feel stupid if it's just the hub screw. I'll get back to you.

Back