Should I be surprised???

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Ok, I was searching links off Google, having searched "Ampex Quantegy".

So, several pages in, I found links to a very interesting site, that has loads of technical information on recording! I read on. About mid-thesis, there comes all this talk about Tascam: (para)
Tascam's recorders are trashy, their mixers have awful electronics, dbx sucks, practically e'thing about the design and build quality of Tascams is rubbish". ... on & on ...

And, snapping myself out of it for a second, I thought, who on earth is writing this stuff? Well, it's none other than Uli the Grasso!

Should I be surprised???

That guy is one of the most opinionated pains in the ass that the recording world has ever seen. After having read most of his site, it's apparent that anything that's not German purebred equipment or technology is just trash.

There's a lot of technical stuff there, but...
Dang,... what an ass!!!! Screw him!! :eek:

See: http://grassomusic.de/index_en.htm

From another site,...

that I linked off Uli's site:
another site said:
Reel to Reel recorders have a long history, originally invented in Germany in the 1920's, the format used today is a development of the tape format conceived by German companies Telefunken and BASF in 1934.

AAH! Well, that explains it all! :eek:

See: http://audiotools.com/r2r.html

Hmm, I`m no expert but maybe german reel-to-reel recorders are really the best. I mean, if the technology was invented here, it might be possible. Germans have a reputation for being perfectionistic when it comes to technology.

No doubt that German recorders are superb in engineering but to bash TASCAM/TEAC gear is unwarranted. Pretty arrogant statements to be shure.

~Daniel

Well my Uher portable 1 track R2R was made in Germany. Once I got it fixed, it worked pretty well, and it's about 40 years old!

But if Germans aren't making analog gear anymore, how can we buy their "superior" products? Many of us don't want to chance 2nd hand electronics, and are forced to use plasticky new Tascam items.

Still waiting for my Tascam to arrive.... so I can't judge its quality yet.

... yeah, the german's have produced some excellent recording technology and innovations... too bad they haven't produced any decent bands to record with that gear ;) (just kidding, sort of)

I wasn`t aware that Tascam still produces reel-to-reel recorders?

Although Studer is swiss, not german, (almost the same :D ) they still built 2" recorders. :)

The only Tascam machines that I own are two Tascam 38 1/2" which both broke down badly and would cost 1500,- EUR to fix. I`ve already wasted about 1300,- EUR for crappy Tascam equipment, so I`m done with them.

Should have gone for an Otari. :(

As for good geman bands, Tocotronic, Einstürzende Neubauten, Ton Steine Scherben and Tomte come to mind. But I guess Neubauten are the only band that might be known outside of Germany. Other bands that are supossed to be good but I haven`t heard yet are Can and Nina Hagen.

Grenouille said:
Apparently they are still doing limited runs of the 34B.

See this thread.

Granted, its not quite the same as a 2" though :)

Cya
Andrew

arjoll said:
Apparently they are still doing limited runs of the 34B.

See this thread.

Granted, its not quite the same as a 2" though :)

Cya
Andrew

Last I've heard, the 34B is no longer being made by TEAC Japan. The last remaining stock, held at the TASCAM USA location, was sold shortly after my original post. :( Is it possible that they're still being made ? I dunno .. :confused:

~Daniel

Grenouille said:
As for good geman bands, Tocotronic, Einstürzende Neubauten, Ton Steine Scherben and Tomte come to mind. But I guess Neubauten are the only band that might be known outside of Germany. Other bands that are supossed to be good but I haven`t heard yet are Can and Nina Hagen.

... i was mostly kidding. neubauten is a great industrial band, and kraftwerk was an important band that influenced a lot of musicians in the 80's. my friend actually plays drums with nina hagen, and all of her band is from la these days. :)

Grenouille said:

Although Studer is swiss, not german, (almost the same :D ) they still built 2" recorders. :)

The only Tascam machines that I own are two Tascam 38 1/2" which both broke down badly and would cost 1500,- EUR to fix. I`ve already wasted about 1300,- EUR for crappy Tascam equipment, so I`m done with them.

Should have gone for an Otari. :(

I can't find the studer 2" on the website anymore. I guess they are really gone.

Where were German recorder companys when I needed a SEMI PRO multitrack? :rolleyes: They can drop dead. You pay for what you get, and unless you were Bill Gates back in the 80's, you couldn't AFFORD that level of equipment. Even if you could, why would you want SEMI PRO gear then? That whole statement about Tascam smirks of typical German snobbery. Fuck em. Besides, we kicked their ass, and if it weren't for American post war TAXPAYERS, the industrial rebuild of Germany wouldn't have happened. So they can KISS MY AMERICAN TAXPAYING ASS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Fucking schmucks.
fitz

My dad used to have a saying...

"If it's Dutch, it ain't much
But if it's German, beware of vermin."

Bashing other countries is fun, isn`t it?
I don't particularly dwell on bashing other countries. But when it comes to places like Japan and Germany, that THOUSANDS of Americans lost their lives fighting, and then came home only to pay taxes that were spent on rebuilding those fucked up nations, I can honestly say this. My Dad fought 4 years in the Pacific during WWII. He saw soldiers that were beheaded, tortured, burned and killed. His brother fought in Europe(against Germany.) His brother was killed there. Ask him what he thinks about buying stuff from those countrys. He'll tell you where you can put those products AND as far as he is concerned, young people who DON"T KNOW SHIT about what older Americans did back then so Americans can buy stuff from those countrys now, need to be locked up for a month under the same conditions some of these soldiers went through. They MIGHT come to appreciate EXACTLY what kind of cesspool slime the enemy was. I bet most of you guys under 20 years old don't even know what Hitler was REALLY about. Do you know what GENOCIDE means? Let me add this too. LOTS of the enemy "officers" went on to form companies, and or work for other of these fucking cockroaches, and some became giant corporations such as Sony, Teac, Mitsubishi, etc etc etc.
Personally, I own some of these producs that are manufactured by these companys. But its ONLY because some of our "good ole politicians" and corporate theves sold us out long time ago to these fuckers and WE don't make shit anymore. So, if you think I'm just bashing countrys out of some kind of wierd nationality discrimination thing, I GOT NEWS FOR YOU PAL. YOU DON"T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE!!! :mad:
fitZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back