Shipping a Tascam M520

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oy.

I'm moving to the Big Island... anyone have any suggestions how to get my baby... er, my tascam m520 across the ocean?

Surely someone here as dealt with shipping something like that. I haven't so I'm a bit baffled. :)

-C

(P.s. I know some of you might point out that I'm frequently baffled. I already know that. :D )

The best way to do it is with love no doubt. :D
Seriously, i wish i could tell you how, but all i can say for sure is everytime i see m520 i get weak in the knees... I LOVE that board. :)

I've developing a "Thing" for the m320 lately too, but shhhhhhh. :eek:

Chris Shaeffer said:
Oy.

I'm moving to the Big Island... anyone have any suggestions how to get my baby... er, my tascam m520 across the ocean?

Surely someone here as dealt with shipping something like that. I haven't so I'm a bit baffled. :)

-C

(P.s. I know some of you might point out that I'm frequently baffled. I already know that. :D )

You should contact a freight company and have them crate it but be careful and not do it yourself 'cause the UK and other EU nations have strick guidelines against certain types of wood / packing material used. The company I've dealt with stated point blank that they do not use wood pallets or crating as per UK regulations. They use plastic pallets. The best thing for you to do is either order a custom double walled FOL type of cardboard box, 2 - 4 inches bigger (on each) side, line it out with styrofoam, place the mixer in there with peanuts (in a bag) on top and have the company put it on a pallet, strapped and covered in plastic (to prevent moisture and rain damage) or ..... have the company put it into one of their allowed crates with packing material which then goes on a pallet. All of your household stuff can go on a pallet (boxed up of course) which is then placed into one of those large, shared containers. You can also use a shared container (without the pallet) and it will cost less but then personally I like to have all my shit together and strapped in. It would of course go via ocean. Best step is for you to call a couple of freight forwarding companies and ask lots of questions. If you want some specifics then I can try to answer. :)

Someone here at HR.com actuially does international frieght shipping (As i saw them mention in a post a few months back), but i can't for the life of me remember who it is :(

Maybe they'll see the thread. :)

Chris Shaeffer said:
Ha! :D

Yeah, Hawaii. I suppose that could be easily mistaken for the UK.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

-C
A question for you.

If you're moving, I'd assume you're moving more then just the mixer, right?

Why not just use who-ever is moving the rest of your stuff and pack it up like Daniel suggested?

Cheers! :)

Good question. That was the original plan, but the cheapest container is a) too big for the amount of stuff we're shipping , b) too small if we put a car in it to take up more space, and c) probably more expensive than shipping what little we need piecemeal.

Seriously, the bulk of the stuff that I need to get over there is audio and video gear. I'll buy what little furniture I need when I get there and ship my clothes in a box.

The only questions now are how to get the few large items over. I've already decided to sell the tape decks ( :( )but I'll be d@mned if I leave the mixer behind. No way I'll ever replace it or get anything like it for the price. Its worth shipping.

Unfortunately... everyone typically ships their whole house over with a shipping service and doesn't have any insight for shipping just a few bulky items.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Seriously, the bulk of the stuff that I need to get over there is audio and video gear.

Call a freight forwarding company and ask for a quote for an x amount of meter squared that you want shipped. Have them come on over if it's possible. It's cheaper to put all your stuff, boxed, on a wooden or plastic sled, tied together. It's a pallet wrap.

"Pallet wrap" "freight forwarding company"

Bingo. Now I have *something* to start with.

Thanks....er, mahalo.... I suppose it is now... :)

-Chris

I got a couple M520's in boxes.

That's a LARGE, heavy duty box, (double-duty if possible),...

one that was packed generously with standard bubble wrap and foam blocks, and...

one that was wrapped and had that spray-form plastic shipping foam stuff to fill out the boxes.

However, the PS-520 power supply unit is shipped in another smaller box by itself. Don't forget the cable. :eek: ;)

Back