sharp rs 730u trouble shooting / looking for user manual or manual pdf download

cmawesome

I found a reel to reel recorder in the dumpster the other day. It is a sharp rs 730u reel to reel. It kinda works and I have been fucking with it for the past few days and the speakers seem to kinda work. They pick things up and it works mechanically. The mic is the problem. The mic doesn’t pick up.
So the problem is that when I plug in my mic to talk in it or (since I am in a band) record, the mic signal doesn’t come through and isn’t picked up by the recorder. I do not know if it is the mic, the jack, or the recorder itself. Does anyone have any suggestions and if it is a problem with the mic what mic would you recommend I use instead for a reel to reel recorder? In particular the sharp rs 730u reel to reel. i asked this on reddit too and they said it could be anything from the pick ups (which i hope isn't the case since that'll be a pain in my ass to deal with), the mic being wrong, or the fact it didn't have tape in it. if someone can tell me what is the problem, what i should do, or where i can get a manual for the sharp rs 730u reel to reel either physical or pdf it would help me out a lot. thanks. i will be including pics too.IMG_2539.jpgIMG_2533.jpgIMG_2532.jpgIMG_2531.jpgIMG_2530.jpg

edit i am also now aware that the cables i used were for basses and guitars and it wasn't a good idea to use those with this recorder.i wasn't aware of it at the time tho. someone on reddit told me and i bough some speaker cables from sweet water.

Have you tried to play a reel to reel tape on it?

That will tell you if playback and mechanics are working ok. The guitar leads you used would have been fine. There is not enough power for there to be any problem in using them rather than speaker cable.

To record you need to hold one or both of the red buttons down while you turn the right hand handle to play. You also need a reel of tape to record onto.

If you want to hear what you are recording while you are recording, you need to toggle the monitor switch to on.

Doing this may allow you to hear what's going in the mike without actually recording, though I think you will still need one or both of the red buttons on.

You also need to plug your mike into one of the channel inputs on the front. One is on the left, the other is on the right.

That will tell you if playback and mechanics are working ok. The guitar leads you used would have been fine. There is not enough power for there to be any problem in using them rather than speaker cable.

To record you need to hold one or both of the red buttons down while you turn the right hand handle to play. You also need a reel of tape to record onto.

If you want to hear what you are recording while you are recording, you need to toggle the monitor switch to on.

Doing this may allow you to hear what's going in the mike without actually recording, though I think you will still need one or both of the red buttons on.

You also need to plug your mike into one of the channel inputs on the front. One is on the left, the other is on the right.

i have a reel of tape but i dont have the empty that i need to feed into. i ordered one off of ebay a few days ago. it should come this Friday or Saturday

also when i said it wasn't picking up the mic i also meant that the signal wasn't reading or being picked up by the machine on the vu meter as well.

The mic appears to be a fairly normal type with a normal plug. You mention that you're in a band. You can try to plug the mic into a guitar amp or the like and see if it works. As well.......you can use a mic from the band and try it with the recorder.

The mic appears to be a fairly normal type with a normal plug. You mention that you're in a band. You can try to plug the mic into a guitar amp or the like and see if it works. As well.......you can use a mic from the band and try it with the recorder.

i tried that on my acoustic vocal amp i have and it worked. so either it is that it needs tape in it before it can do anything or it is an internal problem with the jacks or something. if that is the case i am gonna call around and see if someone can fix it since i don't feel comfortable with doing it myself if that is the case. if it is an internal problem with the jacks / wiring i don't wanna make anything worse.

ok i just did that this after noon and yes it does works. the vu picked up my mic when i did everything you said. at least with the first jack. 2nd jack didn't work. thus i may still need to get it worked one by someone but at least now i know it is mostly working which is good.

I doubt that you'd get a VU meter reading unless the recorder was in "record" mode........which you probably can't get unless you have tape loaded.

Back