Sgt pepper 4-tracks? Got em? I do...

Well it seems someone finally let the cat out the box. i almost feel a bit sad really :(

I've had these multitracks (exact same songs..actually my version has an extra 2 tracks used here and there?) for about a year now. Thought i was special!! I guess no longer..

luckily i have a few other jems too :D

ok so what version of what song has the 2 extra tracks? And could you be so kind as to put them up for us here? That'd be mega cool:D

Geoff Emericks book "Here, There, and Everywhere" was routinely trashed by critics and there was a huge debate between him and Ken Townsend, with Townsend tearing to shreds Emericks book. Other critics stated it was a "puff piece" for McCartney.

I have the book, and have to agree it's a "pro" McCartney book and Emerick disses the rest of the fab four.

"Behind The Glass" by Howard Massey IS an excellent book.

The BIBLE is "Recording The Beatles" by Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew...bar none!

Don't waste your $ on Emericks book.

Geoff Emericks book "Here, There, and Everywhere" was routinely trashed by critics and there was a huge debate between him and Ken Townsend, with Townsend tearing to shreds Emericks book. Other critics stated it was a "puff piece" for McCartney.

I have the book, and have to agree it's a "pro" McCartney book and Emerick disses the rest of the fab four.

"Behind The Glass" by Howard Massey IS an excellent book.

The BIBLE is "Recording The Beatles" by Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew...bar none!

Don't waste your $ on Emericks book.

Nah, it's a GREAT book! It gives you a perspective you cant find anywhere else. It definately seems he liked McCartney more than the others but I wouldn't call it pro McCartney. It seems he favors himself the most.:D I tend to think it's probably the most realistic look at how the how things actually evolved. They said the same thing about George Martins "all you need is ears" which was a great book too.

And a console that looked like something from Dan Dare movies!

There were Dan Dare movies??? I was reading the comics in Eagle mag as a kid 50 years ago :eek: Some years ago I actually bought some of the hard cover DD books.

One band who shall remain nameless said they were used to getting a rough take in Pro Tools & "working" from there on, suffice to say they & another band struggled to record on such "obsolete" equipment, basically because they can't play live!

NAME THEM!!!

:cool:

There were Dan Dare movies??? I was reading the comics in Eagle mag as a kid 50 years ago :eek: Some years ago I actually bought some of the hard cover DD books.
There was a naff-looking animated series a few years back. In the mid-80s there was also a computer game which was actually pretty decent at preserving the original concept.

I must try and get some of the reprints of the stories for my own collection, but a film is probably going to butcher it :(

I love the Emerick book....

....but do admit, it's pro McCartney.

But, if that's the way the author feels.

If the story is true, John and George did treat him poorly sometimes.

I love the Emerick book....

....but do admit, it's pro McCartney.

But, if that's the way the author feels.

If the story is true, John and George did treat him poorly sometimes.

Maybe they just didn't really relate to him much or he seemed stuffy to them or something. Either way it doesn't make the story any less true. The descriptions Emerick gave of the whole scene seemed to make perfect sense to me.

Maybe they just didn't really relate to him much or he seemed stuffy to them or something. Either way it doesn't make the story any less true. The descriptions Emerick gave of the whole scene seemed to make perfect sense to me.

Yeah - and still an important part of the history of recording.

I like the parts where EMI brings in some new equipment such as "compressors" and "limiters" that previously did not exist. (Well, in England anyway)

Some of the day to day working information about the studio is interesting as well, such as the "white coat" workers and the "brown coat" workers, and who was and was not allowed to touch mic stands, touch the mixing board, etc.

A great read.

I forgot George Martin has a book - looks like I need to add to my Christmas list.

)

Some of the day to day working information about the studio is interesting as well, such as the "white coat" workers and the "brown coat" workers, and who was and was not allowed to touch mic stands, touch the mixing board, etc.

A great read.

I forgot George Martin has a book - looks like I need to add to my Christmas list.

Yeah, some GREAT insight in that book. Like how they recorded the Bass for paperback writer using the studio monitor as a huge microphone!

George Martin has a couple books. All You Need Is Ears and With A Little Help From My Friends, which is about making SGT Pepper. The latter was the one that they were saying was Pro McCartne (I made a mistake in my previous post) But again, IMO, is a great book.

So you guys are all saying..... I should go get "Recording the Beatles" ?

How detailed is it, and where / who did the 2 authors get their info ?

mattkw80...
I would highly recommend the, "Recording The Beatles" book thru curvebender publishing.
But I still would like to know what "extra 2 tracks" for 1 of those songs that Messianic Dreams is talking about. And if he could post an anonymous link for them on rapidshare. Its free.
Also who were the 2 bands that couldnt handle tracking to a 4 track that wasnt digital?

"Also who were the 2 bands that couldnt handle tracking to a 4 track that wasnt digital?"

Watch the video on the BBC site & listen to the radio download as well, another (usually outspoken) bands guitarist / songwriters opinion as well as many people I know who've watched / listened to the shows!

IMO of course!

Oh wow. Thanks you so much. You have no idea how long I have been looking for these. I just hated to see george martin sit there and have all of the fun playing around with the faders. You made my new year. Thank you!

Anyone have a link for these tracks?

Been following a lot of broken links etc for the Beatles 4 tracks...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks
Sooper8

Been following a lot of broken links etc for the Beatles 4 tracks...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks
Sooper8

Ah, another refuge from BoingBoing? I'm really bummed that I didn't notice this thread before, and now I can't seem to find any working download links (the megaupload link is no longer good.)

If someone could re-upload these somewhere, I'd greatly appreciate it. My fiancee might get pissed at all the time I'll spend playing George Martin, but it'll be worth it... :)

yup..you got me there!

...lifelong Beatles fan and sometime home re-mixer and musician
Pleeeeaseeee show me the link!! ;-)

Is this thing gone now?

When I got to the Megaupload screen, there was no "Please Enter" bit. It just says "Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available."

that's what i got too..

but many people must have got it while it was up...so, just hope I can find it when it pops up somewhere.
Maybe it is too 'hot' and Macca had some of his 'boys' go round and have 'a word'?

Back