Setting up a Hybrid Mixing/Summing workstation

Cye3212

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to "studio" recording outside of recording on 4 track/8 track portastudios and working within a DAW but I've recently come into possession of both a 16ch Soundcraft 200B console and a Tascam M-216 (also 16ch). I'd like to incorporate one of these into my workflow which currently is split into two: one analog and one digital; I have a DAW setup (Reaper with a Tascam 1641 interface) as well as my trusty portastudios which I record on and then transfer to digital for further mixing and overdubbing.

I am not sure how to go about adding these to my workflow as I've considered using the consoles for analog summing but my 1641 only has 4 outs - do I need a d/a converter with at least 16 outs to be able to connect either my 200B or M-216? If so, what sort of D/A converters would I be looking at?

I've read that the pre's on the 200B are not bad at all and I would like to make my mic/inst/etc. connections through there which would then feed into my interface and/or DAW. Again, I am not sure how I would manage this.

Both the 200B and the M-216 have 8 tape returns and 4 mix buss outs - I am not even sure how I would use this when recording with my 8 track as I believe the 200B manual specifies to "parallel connect the inputs of the 8 track" which I have no idea what that means (see attachment). The M-216 is a little more straightforward but I am also unsure of how to use it for 8 track recording. That said, my main goal is to incorporate these as summing consoles if possible - if not, then at least as a more robust mixing platform for my tape recordings which will then just be bounced into the daw.

I also have some outboard gear like compressors and digital effects and whatnot that I'd like to use with the consoles - currently they are being used via the 4 line outs from the 1641.

I guess where I am tripping up the most is regarding the connections and what I will need to make these connections. I am also aware that some of these D/A converters are quite pricey and do not wish to invest in them if I would need to buy a large console to even justify that purchase.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

C

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-20 014800.png
    Annotation 2020-05-20 014800.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
This would be a huge amount to type out on a forum. I think your best bet would be to head over to YouTube and do some searching for hybrid mixing. You'll find many people doing something similar to what you'd like and them showing you how this works is probably better then me typing it...

Zed Marty is probable a good place to start.

YouTube

Back