SERVICE MANUAL needed for TASCAM 488 MKII

altruistica

Hi guys,

I wondered if anyone ever had a 488 MKII.
I picked one up recently and everything works except recording on track 5. It doesn't erase the existing recording on track 5, but on a blank tape, a very faint impression of the source can be recorded and played back. When I say faint, it is almost inaudible. It isn't dirty heads BTW as I've cleaned everything. I dd take the cover off but stopped short of removing the motherboards as they are securely in place (one on top of each other) and awkwardly have another board at 90 degrees to the two. This board seems to be connected via sockets which look soldered. I didn't even have the operator's manual never mind a service manual so I stopped dismantling it and put it back together.

I've managed to download a service manual for the 488 MK1 but haven't yet found one for the MKII.
I notice on Ebay, a USA seller is selling the MKII service manual.......has anyone got a PDF copy they could PM me?

In the meantime, I'll have a scan of the MKI and see if it has directions for dismantling the boards.
I guess this would be a good time to learn about the oscilloscope I picked up a few years ago.....learning to scope out a defective cap or component?

Cheers
Al

Never mind....just bit the bullet and bought the photocopied one from US Ebay....I'm assuming this was an official photocopy from Tascam US Service at some point.
Al

I’m curious about how this turned out. I’m also looking for a service manual for mine, and I can’t record to tracks 2 or 6; it behaves just like the one mentioned here.

Back