For the serious vintage analog collector

Or actually, I really want this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2536596093&category=23785

But just as the other one, it's in the US, so too expensive to ship, and 110V to boot.

Ah well. [/B][/QUOTE]

You'd be better off with something else. I've reluctantly worked with them before and they're not all that great. You'd actually be better off with a Mackie and outboard post gear than that board...Although the price is pretty good. I find that the Studiomaters do have a decent EQ (if using it as a SUBTRACTIVE EQ--as opposed to a Mackie) it generally is prone to contiguity noise and line noise. If you're really up to it find a Trident board or a Neotek (in decent shape) for around US $1000 to $5000 (depending on model and/or year made). If anything else find a console with enough tracks needed for your setup and then invest later on in Mics, outboard EQ, compressors, and etc...

I think within the last 8 years I've been recording major label acts I've learned that it doesn't matter what kind of board you have but how you approach the project. It's really dependant on the engineer and how they develop a certain sound unique to thier own. I'd save money on certain 'vanity' items like EQ and compression. Find what you like to use within the long run if you have a good store that will comp you for things that might be returned on spec. We're all in this together so make sure you have your connections within your area in order to make up for trial-and-error.

--AdamLazlo

http://www.analogelecric.com

Re: Re: For the serious vintage analog collector

analogelectric said:
You'd be better off with something else.

Yeah, but 300 bucks, and it LOOKS great! :)

If you're really up to it find a Trident board or a Neotek (in decent shape) for around US $1000 to $5000 (depending on model and/or year made).

$5000! Snort! Yeah, right. You might as well ask me to buuild a supersonic jetfighter from toothpicks. :(

Now, $1000 for a trident, sure, if you can find me one. :rolleyes: However, currently I'm looking for Yamaha RM800's and Tascams. I need a inline-16 channel console (for 32 channels on mixdown) or bigger. But $10000 is more likely what they'll cost...

Consoles

I guess I was being a bit lofty with price and such. The Soundcraft, that specific model, I've seen in the US used for less than that (I can't believe how inexpensive they are for how many channels they provide). The mic/line pre's are something to be desired, they tend to distort easily. When I was in transition between consoles I did have a TASCAM 32 channel that run me about $1000, then I bought a Neotek Series I for about $1300, and finally a D&R Orion for $8000.

If I'd suggest anything I'd get something you can use 'just for now' and save up a couple grand for an Allen & Heath. The EQ is better than a Mackie or TASCAM. The pre's are pretty discrete. I considered getting an A&H console if it wasn't for the D&R (the A&H I was scoping out was FAR less in price but offered the same amount of flexibility). The drawback to the A&H over the D&R was I needed a console that had individual Phantom Power and Phase switches for each individual channel.

I find the EQ and pre's on lower-budget consoles to be harsh. If you're to use more mic choice/placement to get the sounds you desire I wouldn't hesitate to get an inexpensive console. If I were dependant on using the EQ's during mixdown from a console I'd save a bit more money for something with a more 'musical' EQ.

--Adam Lazlo

What? You have seen a 24 channel Studiomaster for less that $300! That's amazing....

I'm happy now because 24 channel tascams and Yamahas are dropping in price, down to around $500-600. I hope to get one at the end of the summer. A couple of grands? Forget that, for a couple of grands I can get a Yamaha AW4416.

Regebro, if you can get your hands on one, I can recommend the 8 buss StudioMaster. That's what I run here and it's a great console.

I have the Mixdown 16/8/16. I like the EQ, low and hi shelf with two semi parametric sweepable EQ, 100mm faders, 6 auxs, direct outs on every channel, +4 balanced operation. I like the sound of it.

Hum, yeah, it can be found for very reasonable prices. Is it a stacked inline console, ie does it have 32 inputs on mixdown?

Cuz 16 aint enough for me...

Re: Consoles

analogelectric said:
I guess I was being a bit lofty with price and such. The Soundcraft, that specific model, I've seen in the US used for less than that (I can't believe how inexpensive they are for how many channels they provide). The mic/line pre's are something to be desired, they tend to distort easily. When I was in transition between consoles I did have a TASCAM 32 channel that run me about $1000, then I bought a Neotek Series I for about $1300, and finally a D&R Orion for $8000.

If I'd suggest anything I'd get something you can use 'just for now' and save up a couple grand for an Allen & Heath. The EQ is better than a Mackie or TASCAM. The pre's are pretty discrete. I considered getting an A&H console if it wasn't for the D&R (the A&H I was scoping out was FAR less in price but offered the same amount of flexibility). The drawback to the A&H over the D&R was I needed a console that had individual Phantom Power and Phase switches for each individual channel.

I find the EQ and pre's on lower-budget consoles to be harsh. If you're to use more mic choice/placement to get the sounds you desire I wouldn't hesitate to get an inexpensive console. If I were dependant on using the EQ's during mixdown from a console I'd save a bit more money for something with a more 'musical' EQ.

--Adam Lazlo

Update: The Allen and Heath board I just got has phantom power and phase switches on each individual channel! It is the GL2200 32 track board!

$5000! Snort! Yeah, right. You might as well ask me to buuild a supersonic jetfighter from toothpicks.

Hey hey! Regebro, thats the best thing I've heard you say yet:D Hmmmm, might be easier to build the jet. hahaha! At least for me.:rolleyes:

Hey, wha. th fu.....Everybodys talkin Studiomaster......:confused: I have a nice little
20/8/2 Series 5 that has just about every bell and whistle you could ask for in this class. Never talked about it cause I thought everyone ELSE would laugh me off this board:eek: Yea, its a little noisy, but what the fuck, you pump some drums, electric guitars, nice direct bass, some vocals, a little keys, some electric violin, some harmony background vocals, a little harp, and then some piano and VOILA!....

WHAT NOISE?:D

(just kiddin) YEA, REGEBRO, IF I COULD AFFFORD A $5000 mixer, I wouldn't be using 2 MSR's in a bedroom either! Hey, lets get real here. This is HOMERECORDING, not a fucking
PRO STUDIO FORUM!!

Otherwise, LETS GET IT ON BOYS!!! NOW let me tell you bout my little ole 96ch SSL:rolleyes: and, oh yes......ah, the twin Studers, and and the Lexicon 480, oh and should I mention my 18 room studio with guest quarters, AND artist limo....hehehe!
..... built it out of toothpicks :p

fuck. Now, where was I.....oh yea.......about my 122.....OOPS!:D

(break out the flamethrowers guys, I deserve it.!)sorry analogelectric, I couln't help myself, but you gotta realize WHO the fuck your talking to here. At least me. I'm in the same boat as regebro, and LUCKY to have my little ole studiomaster!

fitZ:)

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
hey regebro, where you from? Just curious. Never seen a european dude say "yup":D
Answer this question and you will have the answer to your original question!

Where did the Cone-Heads say they were from?

Clue;

It wasn't Remulack.

Cheers!:)

Back