Separate Bass and Drum Tracks

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I record my bass and drum track off a computer or iPad ... Because of syncing to the tape, I record both onto one channel of the tape and put my guitar and voice on two others.

Doing this, I can't edit the bass and drum separately, but I was wondering if this might work....

Buy one of these
image.png

Hook it into the computer headphone jack, then attach the other end to two separate channels on the Portastudio using these

image.png

The theory is if I pan the drums hard left, and the bass hard right in the DAW, it would record independent of each other onto the Portastudio....

Am I right on this??

Yes that will get you two separate mono tracks: one for bass and one for drums. But I'm confused by your editing comment. What exactly are you going to edit once you get them on tape? I would think that you would do any necessary editing on the computer before you recorded them to tape.

Maybe I'm doing this backwards, but I'll get all four tracks onto the Portastudio tape (bass, drums, vocal, and guitar), then mix them back down to Audacity to get the levels right....

it seems to me I have more flexibility if I edit them all on the same mixer. Otherwise, if I Eq the bass, I'm Eq'ing the drums too....

I am just trying to figure all this out though, so I am open to all suggestions......

Maybe I'm doing this backwards, but I'll get all four tracks onto the Portastudio tape (bass, drums, vocal, and guitar), then mix them back down to Audacity to get the levels right....

it seems to me I have more flexibility if I edit them all on the same mixer. Otherwise, if I Eq the bass, I'm Eq'ing the drums too....

I am just trying to figure all this out though, so I am open to all suggestions......

Ok ... I think I know the reason for my confusion. Please don't take this as me trying to be rude, but when you say "edit," do you mean things like applying EQ, adjusting levels, and possibly adding effects? This would just be an example of mixing, generally speaking.

Usually, I think most people use the term "edit" for things like moving notes around, copying and pasting parts, adjusting the pitch of a track, trimming a track to get rid of noise, etc. These things are obviously usually done on a computer nowadays because it's so quick and easy to do.

So, yes you have the right idea. I just think the terminology was confusing me a bit.

What program are you using to generate the drums and bass?

I took a 50/50 stab...... I was either going with mix or edit... I chose the wrong one....

I am using GarageBand right now, but I'm looking at some that I can use with the DAW.... I'll tell you though.... Those drum loops in GB are great for us beginners!!!!!

Yeah the GarageBand stuff is great. I don't have a Mac, but for the two years we had iPhones, I used GarageBand a lot. It was very easy to use and sounded great. It's quite limited compared to a normal DAW (at least the mobile version was ... I haven't used it on a computer before), but it was awesome for laying down things quickly.

This is all cool to me...... I'll tell you, I am the guy who used to memorize Radio Shack catalogs.... I almost electrocuted my mom when she was trying to clean my room and moved my homemade box that held a tube radio out of an RCA stereo console player.....

This s#%& is like reliving my childhood.......but so.....so....much better.....

This is all cool to me...... I'll tell you, I am the guy who used to memorize Radio Shack catalogs.... I almost electrocuted my mom when she was trying to clean my room and moved my homemade box that held a tube radio out of an RCA stereo console player.....

This s#%& is like reliving my childhood.......but so.....so....much better.....

:) Yes it's great stuff!

Back