Senn or Voxvendor or whoever

rushfan33

I found an ATR 1/2 8 track with DBX and the rack. The guy wants $220 for it. Is it worth it?
Thanks,
RF

Find out what's wrong with it. No one sells an ATR like that for $220 unless there is something wrong with it, or unless they are an idiot...or a widow.

The rack alone is worth $150 on e-bay. It sells from TASCAM I think for $300. Don't quote me on that one.

Here is a shop rate from Allied Electronics in St. Louis. They are an authorised TASCAM repair depot:

$50 bucks to walk in the door, and $60 per hour after that. He said it takes roughly 3-4 hours to go through one of these machines. And that is NOT including very expensive parts, though they are all available from TASCAM.

If you can have it serviced for no more that what it would cost for a machine that would cost you $500-$600, I'd say go for it. Hey the rack is great for moving around a project studio, The remote will cost about $100 to eliminate this mobility.

Keep in mind those were only labor rates I quoted. A head stack is quite expensive. A pinch roller will run you $40.00.
These machines are very expensive to maintain. Try to get the best one you can for the money.

I'm not saying that they are always breaking down, because they aren't. When they do though, it can be expensive to track down a fault if you don't have a schematic and are not a technician.

The DBX DX-4D units are excellent. There is no tape hiss on playback with this system. Unless you're a bat or a dog you won't hear anything. Hell, those alone are worth the price too, but you may not have anything to use them on if your tape deck is tits-up.

Let us know what you decide? What is the auction number? I swear I won't bid on it. :) PM me if you want. I'd really like to see this descriptiojn.

It's a private sellar.... no ebay! The sellar says that everything worked fine until they transported it. After that, 3 channels didn't work.

Thanks,
RF

Attachments

• tascam-reel-to-reel-006.gif
    tascam-reel-to-reel-006.gif
    74.3 KB · Views: 44
The circuit cards in the 38-8 are in the bottom of the machine for each channel. Many times these card are easily unseated, jarred loose, etc. The 38-8 seems to have had problems with mechanical circuit board connections as they aged.

These machines are notorious for having connections come loose during transport. If you buy the machine, I can tell you the procedure for reseating your channel cards.

The relays ON the channel circuit card have a higher than average failure rate too. But we're talking about a 15 to 20 year old machine here too. The failure rate was within spec when they were new. Contacts get burned and chared and continuity is lost.

That could be the problem. If you're a tech, or are experienced in electronics WITH the manual it's not that big of a deal. The snag comes when TASCAM charges you for the relays and I don't know what they cost.

It will be K101, K102, or K103 on the channel card. Don't assume because I'm telling you this that that is the problem. The tech I talked to in St. Louis this morning said that 90% of the problems they see on the older TASCAM 38-8's are loose circuit board connections.

Check the condition of the tape guides, the capstan, and the pinch roller to help judge the amount of use the machine has had. If the flat spots on the lifter base assembly are round with no flat spots (these are the two metal posts that the tape rides under. They are under the head stack cover.), chances are you will only have some loose connections somewhere. Many times re-seating the cards upon arrival will circumvent any problems you may have had.

If this guy is being honest with you about the machine working until it was transported and you can inspect the machine in person, I'd say go for it.

The price is great with the extra's

M. Brane - I'll find out tomorrow what the specifics are when I see the unti.

Sennheiser - Thanks.... as always, you've been a wealth of useful information!

Damn, I didn't look at your IMG link at first because the site is loading so fucking slow right now.

That looks to me to be a 58-8. They are built like tanks and weigh almost as much. They have heavy-duty everything in them. Motors, reel tables , chassis, you name it. That is a Pro ATR.

I would bet it's a connection problem betweeen the channel cards and the mother board.

I'd still pay that much for that type of a machine that wasn't working with the rack stand and the DBX units.

Let me know what happens!

I don't have a manual for the 58 series, but I would imagine that the channel cards are still on the bottom plugged into the mother board.

Tascam deck

FYI:

The deck in the photo looks like an ATR60-8. Which is what you started out calling it (an "ATR"), so that doesn't come as a great surprise. The 58 is a different model. That's not a 58.

While I won't claim any great expertise on the model, I believe it's general architecture is different from a 38 (or various other models, for that matter): it's more "modular," with separate boxes for the input/output, the transport, etc., which you can mount in various different ways.

If it works (or can be made to work for under $1,000) it's a great bargain. Even if it doesn't work, the parts are worth $220++.

I wasn't sure about it. It had been awhile since I had seen a 58.

Glad we found out what it was. :)

Did you get it yet? Does it work?

rushfan33 said:
It's a private sellar.... no ebay! The sellar says that everything worked fine until they transported it. After that, 3 channels didn't work.

Thanks,
RF

That looks like a cool machine. Would be great if it just needs those cards re-seated.

Picked it up this morning! Haven't plugged it in yet though. That sum-bitch is heavy.... but it's beautiful! I probably won't get to try it until Sunday.

Thanks for all the Advice,
RF

ATR-60 8 update

It powers up beautifully! There's no physical damage or blemishes anywhere on this deck. The DBX unit is an old looking thing and the number on that is 208. I have no 1/2" reels to actually try this beast but so far so good. The cables look a little oxidated, which might be the only problem with the 3 channels not working. The seller hardly new anything about the machine and judging by where he live (ritzville) it was probably barely used. I'll bet that with just a little bit of cleaning and maintenance, this beauty will work perfectly.

Anyone know anything about the DBX 208?

What's this rig worth assuming it all works properly?

Thanks,
RF

Sorry, I can't help you on this... I'm not really into the analog thing....

However.. If you need help with Def Leppard Style vocal layering, or Pro Tools.....Fee free to ask..;)

Voxvendor is posting in Red today to symbolize the 9/11 tragedy

VOXVENDOR said:
Sorry, I can't help you on this... I'm not really into the analog thing....

However.. If you need help with Def Leppard Style vocal layering, or Pro Tools.....Fee free to ask..;)

Voxvendor is posting in Red today to symbolize the 9/11 tragedy

sorry about that .....:o

You know..... after I posted this, I was thinking that I put your name on there by accident and after looking in the analog forum a little deeper, I noticed I didn't see your name very much. I started to feel like an idiot after I realized that you're not the one who's really into analog. I was going to let this thread die so I could forget that I made such a shithead mistake......and now here you are rubbing it in my face!! :D :D :D ;)
I think I had you confused with Reel to Reel as I see his name and Sennheiser's on many of the same posts in the analog forum.

Well anyways..... sorry about that and hats off to ya for the red letter symbolizing thing.

I remembered 9/11 too. I had my H&K G3 locked, loaded and ready. SIG Sauer P220 .45ACP on my hip all day, and spent all day working in the yard for my nephew's two year birthday party this Saturday.

Figured what the hell, the rest of the Nation is on Orange alert, why shouldn't I be?

That's good news about your new tape deck. I hope you get some tape real soon and give us a report. Here is a link to tape suppliers in case you need them. It's the third post down. I am Mr. Analog over there. Hope to see ya around there sometime.

Tape Suppliers from TASCAM web site

Mr. Analog?

Boy, this multiple identity thing is too much. Mr. Analog huh! Well I'll be......... I can't keep track of you guys. Ok, sennheiser, nice to know who I'm reading. LOL jeezzz, this bbs stuff keeps getting wierder by the day.:D I wouldn't doubt now if Larry Robinson wasn't John Sayer or something:rolleyes: Reel to Reel is...ah, lets see....not for real, is that right? Sounds like who is on first, no what is, who is on third,and how is on second, or something like that! Excuse that little bla bla bla. Damn, what happened to real names!!! For cryin out loud, Mr. analog huh?...boy, sure had me fooled!!I thought you were a total different person. I must be totally out of touch.
fitz:D

oops!

See, I think I already screwed up. Ok, A Reel Person is on this bbs, he is ah....long sought for or lets see....ah was that not for real...... oh fuck it. I give up. I don't care who you are. Where. Or what base your on;) I don't know your real name and it doesn't matter I guess! But I sure enjoy your posts! Keep it up, who ever you are.
fitz:)

Back