Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Senn or Voxvendor or whoever

Thanks

Senn or Voxvendor or whoever

Sign in to disable this ad
    I found an ATR 1/2 8 track with DBX and the rack. The guy wants $220 for it. Is it worth it?
    Thanks,
    RF

Thanks
    Are the heads any good? How many hours? How much for new ones?

City on the Edge of Forever In Southern Illinois
    Thanks
    Find out what's wrong with it. No one sells an ATR like that for $220 unless there is something wrong with it, or unless they are an idiot...or a widow.

The rack alone is worth $150 on e-bay. It sells from TASCAM I think for $300. Don't quote me on that one.

Here is a shop rate from Allied Electronics in St. Louis. They are an authorised TASCAM repair depot:

$50 bucks to walk in the door, and $60 per hour after that. He said it takes roughly 3-4 hours to go through one of these machines. And that is NOT including very expensive parts, though they are all available from TASCAM.

If you can have it serviced for no more that what it would cost for a machine that would cost you $500-$600, I'd say go for it. Hey the rack is great for moving around a project studio, The remote will cost about $100 to eliminate this mobility.

Keep in mind those were only labor rates I quoted. A head stack is quite expensive. A pinch roller will run you $40.00.
    These machines are very expensive to maintain. Try to get the best one you can for the money.

I'm not saying that they are always breaking down, because they aren't. When they do though, it can be expensive to track down a fault if you don't have a schematic and are not a technician.

The DBX DX-4D units are excellent. There is no tape hiss on playback with this system. Unless you're a bat or a dog you won't hear anything. Hell, those alone are worth the price too, but you may not have anything to use them on if your tape deck is tits-up.

Let us know what you decide? What is the auction number? I swear I won't bid on it. PM me if you want. I'd really like to see this descriptiojn.
    "Isn't this WIERD"

Thanks
    It's a private sellar.... no ebay! The sellar says that everything worked fine until they transported it. After that, 3 channels didn't work.

Thanks,
    RF
    Attached Images Attached Images tascam-reel-reel-006-gif 

Thanks
    The circuit cards in the 38-8 are in the bottom of the machine for each channel. Many times these card are easily unseated, jarred loose, etc. The 38-8 seems to have had problems with mechanical circuit board connections as they aged.

These machines are notorious for having connections come loose during transport. If you buy the machine, I can tell you the procedure for reseating your channel cards.

The relays ON the channel circuit card have a higher than average failure rate too. But we're talking about a 15 to 20 year old machine here too. The failure rate was within spec when they were new. Contacts get burned and chared and continuity is lost.

That could be the problem. If you're a tech, or are experienced in electronics WITH the manual it's not that big of a deal. The snag comes when TASCAM charges you for the relays and I don't know what they cost.

It will be K101, K102, or K103 on the channel card. Don't assume because I'm telling you this that that is the problem. The tech I talked to in St. Louis this morning said that 90% of the problems they see on the older TASCAM 38-8's are loose circuit board connections.

Check the condition of the tape guides, the capstan, and the pinch roller to help judge the amount of use the machine has had. If the flat spots on the lifter base assembly are round with no flat spots (these are the two metal posts that the tape rides under. They are under the head stack cover.), chances are you will only have some loose connections somewhere. Many times re-seating the cards upon arrival will circumvent any problems you may have had.

If this guy is being honest with you about the machine working until it was transported and you can inspect the machine in person, I'd say go for it.

The price is great with the extra's
    "Isn't this WIERD"

Thanks

Thumbs up

M. Brane - I'll find out tomorrow what the specifics are when I see the unti.

Sennheiser - Thanks.... as always, you've been a wealth of useful information!

Thanks
    Damn, I didn't look at your IMG link at first because the site is loading so fucking slow right now.

That looks to me to be a 58-8. They are built like tanks and weigh almost as much. They have heavy-duty everything in them. Motors, reel tables , chassis, you name it. That is a Pro ATR.

I would bet it's a connection problem betweeen the channel cards and the mother board.

I'd still pay that much for that type of a machine that wasn't working with the rack stand and the DBX units.
    "Isn't this WIERD"

Thanks
    Cool.... I'll probably pick it up tomorrow!

Thanks,
    RF

Thanks
    Let me know what happens!

I don't have a manual for the 58 series, but I would imagine that the channel cards are still on the bottom plugged into the mother board.
    "Isn't this WIERD"

Thanks
    I just hope it fits in the back of my Durango!

Thanks,
    RF

Thread Information