Selling all my 1/4" 456, no sticky shed.

hungovermorning

Dr. Caveman.
I figured it would be appropriate to do this here as there might be some interest in it before it hit evil bay. When Quantegy went out of business I placed a large order like many of you assuming that the mastering deck I would get would use 456, but alas I bought a Tascam 22-2 which is set up for 457.

All this tape is Quantegy (no sticky shed Ampex), all the 457 I've used from this batch has been great. All of it has been stored with desiccants in an opaque tupperware container. All of them are on 7 inch reels. Again, the only reason that I am selling it is because I have nothing that uses 456.

Here's how it breaks down:

-3 reels completely sealed from Quantegy, cellophane and everything.
-2 reels that are zero pass if that makes sense. I opened each one at some point to put on an Akai deck that I had to test it. I threaded it through and the deck's mechanism wouldn't pull it. I consider these two new as well.
-2 reels that may literally be one pass, from what I remember. They're both Quantegy (not Ampex) and one is in a shipping container case. I think these were both used on my Fostex R8 before I had problems with it. They both should have plenty of life in them.
-3 reels are probably sticky shed Ampex. I am including them for their reels and boxes only. I was told by the seller that they were fine, but knowing what I know, use them for take up hubs and spare boxes.

$90 shipped USPS priority everything, no Paypal fees, anywhere in the continental US. I'll ship to wherever, but tape is heavy (about 10 pounds). I feel like this is a fair price and would like to sell it in lot form. If you don't want the Ampex 456, I don't have to include them, but there's no discount for not including them outside of helping me save a couple bucks on shipping. Sometimes it's nice to have a reel of junk tape around to practice splicing on and things like that.

Personally I think the Quantegy stuff (the 457 at least) edges out the RMGI stuff and if you agree, here's your chance to pick up a good supply for not a lot of money and the tape you can actually use without it clogging up your machine. I'm a hanger outer in here and on the good guys list in the buy and sell forum here. Send me a message, I'd be happy to give you my number to discuss anything you may want to know.

Phew! Long thread! Save me from the ebay!

best,
scott

Back