Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: School me on baking tape?

Thanks

School me on baking tape?

Sign in to disable this ad
    So, I found at my local Goodwill a round 13 inch diameter food dehydrator. Sounds good, should fit 10 inch reels. And it was a steal. 8 bucks!

Now I get it home, and I'm going huh???

I thought it would be a solid wall contraption with stacking shelves inside. Much like a bigger round crockpot.

Nope.

The stacking shelves ARE the walls. And then you got a lid to put on top of all of it. The height in these stackable shelves isn't enough to put a half inch reel of tape. In.

What the hell do I do now? Is this a normal dehydrator design. ??

I'm thinking maybe cutting out the centers of a few of those stackable shelves so I can fit some tape inside. But it seems that with no exterior walls, and just plastic stacked, you'd lose quite a bit of heat.

What say ye with experience?

Oh, and ps. Got no idea how to bake tape either, never having done it before.

Edit : hah! 5 minutes on youtube showed me I was a dumbass.
    The stacking is normal and you want it to be able to breathe. Duh. How's the moisture in the tape escape if it cant breathe

So two questions answered.

Which brings up something else. There's no temperature control just an on off switch.
    But thankfully it works. Generates heat and has a functional fan.
    Last edited by RFR; 03-19-2019 at 16:20.

Thanks
    I thought you and I covered this subject awhile back.

I have no idea which dehydrator you have or what it looks like...but the one that works best for audio tapes is the:
    Snackmaster Pro model FD-50 made by American Harvest (800-288-4545)

I'm not even sure if they still make this model...or if they have "improved" it, meaning it's something totally different now, and the audio reels won't fit...but you can find pictures of the Snackmaster Pro, and get some visual of why it works.

Anyway...that's the one I have and use for tape baking. Plus I bought a few extra trays, and that lets me do more tapes and more tape/reel sizes at once.
    For thicker tape/reels...you have to use two trays, and you simply cut out the grating in one of them...just leave some around the actual sidewall, to keep it stiffer...and only cut out as much as needed.

You set it to 135 degrees, and depending on tape/reel size and how bad the tape is...you bake anywhere from 4-6 hours up to 8-12 hours, flipping the reels and also rotating their position in the stack if you are doing more than one...every 1-2 hours, for better baking consistency.
    Then take out the reel(s) and put them in their box and let them cool for at least as many hours as you baked them before you attempt to spool them up on your deck.
    Oh...watch it, the metal gets hot at 135 degrees, but unless you have girly hands, you can handle the reels long enough to flip them, holding at the flanges edges without burning yourself. Otherwise, you might want to wear some work gloves if you need to handle them longer.

This is the one:
    American Harvest Snackmaster Food Dehydrator 2400 FD-50 in Box w/ Instructions 29517650508 | eBay

Oh...use that other dehydrator to make some beef jerky...

Thanks
    Thanks @miroslav . Maybe we covered it before, but hell if I remember. Lol
    But thanks for the tutorial, and no, I ain't got girly hands.

I got 5 layers. Gonna cut out the grating on one layer and give it a shot.
    My only concern at this time is if it gets enough temp to bake tape in less than a week.
    Actually, I do remember you recommending a snack master.
    But for a whopping eight bucks, can you blame me for picking this up? Got some local grass fed Tri Tip jerky planned

Thanks
    Not gonna recommend Nu Finish, Miro?
    "Nahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnn. I ain't touching that mic. That thing's expensive."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Actually, I do remember you recommending a snack master.
    But for a whopping eight bucks, can you blame me for picking this up? Got some local grass fed Tri Tip jerky planned
    So which brand/model did you get for $8?

Quote Originally Posted by CrowsofFritz View Post
    Not gonna recommend Nu Finish, Miro?
    Yeah...after you make some beef jerky with the dehydrator, dip it into the Nu Finish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    So which brand/model did you get for
    Mr Coffee 5 tray dehydrator.

Thanks
    Mr Coffee 5 tray dehydrator.
    Didn't know Mr Coffee made them.
    I love my Mr Coffe 2-cup coffee maker....the original one.
    I think I have 2-3 spare original ones, since they changed them at some point, and I don't like the new design...so I stocked up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Didn't know Mr Coffee made them.
    I love my Mr Coffe 2-cup coffee maker....the original one.
    I think I have 2-3 spare original ones, since they changed them at some point, and I don't like the new design...so I stocked up.
    I got a Mr Tea. Looks just like the Mr Coffee, but is very simple, no hot plate, no basket. You just set your cup on the plate, insert a teabag, then lift up the lid where the coffee basket would be, and pour some boiling water through the hole into your teacup.
    Utter simplicity, and it makes a perfect cup everytime.

Edit: I think I saw that back in the day on SNL.....back when the show was still funny.

Thanks
    ...back in the day on SNL.....back when the show was still funny.
    Oh...now you're talking WAY back in the day!

Sometime in the late '70s when I was renting a 3-story apartment house with a couple of guys (one of them was seeing my sister at the time, that's how I got the bottom floor, more like basement, when it became available).
    Anyway...we had a regular Saturday night ritual to gather and watch SNL...even if any of us was planning to go out afterwards, or of my girlfriend came over, SNL came first, then we went about our other plans for the evening...but that's when SNL use to really be funny, and not so politically obsessed as it is these days. Back then they made fun of everyone, not just one political party.

OK...wasn't looking to segue into any political commentary...but yeah, those were fun days.

Thanks
    Yeah true, true, true.
    Imagine anyone on a major corporate network being able to say "Jane, you ignorant slut" in today's climate. They would organize, rally and clamor for your removal and not stop till your career was ruined, and maybe even jailed. Back then it was just funny. And if it offended anyone.......well they just didn't watch.

Lot of great talent came from that time and became household names.
    When SNL lost it's comedic edge, we got Second City TV . Lot of talent came from there too. I believe that was John Candy's jumping off show.

Thread Information