S.o.s. ???????????

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I was looking at a reel to reel recorder and although it didn't have more than 2 channels (for multitracking), it did have something called "Sound On Sound" (S.O.S.). Can anyone please tell me what that is ? Is this related to multitracking in any way ?Thanks. ---Daniel

i think, although i am not a well of knowlge on such matters, it is the ability to disable the erase head. this allowed a technique, called sos i presume, that allowed, for exmple a backing band to be recorded, then a vocalist over the top. The origional recording will be much quieter than the vocal, and the balance can't be ajusted (except by recording the vocal quiter).

toby.I. said:
i think, although i am not a well of knowlge on such matters, it is the ability to disable the erase head. this allowed a technique, called sos i presume, that allowed, for exmple a backing band to be recorded, then a vocalist over the top. The origional recording will be much quieter than the vocal, and the balance can't be ajusted (except by recording the vocal quiter).

Ok, thanks. Yeah, so it's definitely not typical "multitracking" ;-)

Daniel

With sound-on-sound,...

you'd create a layered effect by endlessly bouncing tracks in each record sequence.;)

Back