Rubber wheel tascam 688

Bobby Darko

Hey guys,

This is for the 688 freaks I guess. Has anybody here ever changed the rubber wheel? Does anybody even know where to get a new one? I guess they're not made by Tascam anymore, but it looks like a fairly common tape deck size. My wheel is starting to weir out, the part where the tape travels is worn and it looks kinda dry. Hope someone has some info.

Sorry, I don't have the answer :o. I did some searches on this last night but came up with nothing useful. I thought I'd bump the thread though to give anyone else a try at this. I'd love to hear some advice too as the rubber on mine looks pretty worn as well.

It wouldn't hurt to call up Tascam and ask. Ya never know.;)

...or else give terry from terry's rubber rollers a shout and ask if he does work on cassette pinch rollers. If the roller ain't too bad though, you can always use a rubber conditioner such as the rubber renue or caig's rbr. :)

I have a new one on backorder from Tascam for my 234...dunno if it is the same part, but I second the recommendation to call Tascam and ask.

Also, talked to Terry recently and he does indeed re-rubber cassette-based pinch rollers, but it ain't cheap.

Same as a small open-reel roller...I think its $35 + $5 S&H.

I think the new one from Teac is running like $13 or something.

Hmm, that's interesting 'cause I bought mine, for the 244 / 246, for $20 USD, from TEAC Japan. I personally wouldn't mind Terry's $35 deal if those rollers were not available from TASCAM anymore. Terry's our last hope after that!:eek::D;)

thanks guys! I contacted Terry and it's not cheap indeed, but I don't really care. My main problem is getting the pinch roller out (and back in) the 688 I'm afraid. It's not as easy as with the 244 for instance.

I tried as you can read in my last post. I'm gonna try to contact teac, maybe they have rollers that will fit...still, I don't want to srew my recorder while trying to get the old one out.

Back