RMGI LPR35: Will it work in a Tascam 388?

matthewmilner

So - I was about to pick up a case of RMGI LPR35 for use in my Tascam 388. I had found the tape through a website called Encore Data Products - they sell a case of 20 reels for a reasonable price and offer free ground shipping.

Anyway, the Encore Data site lists the LPR35 as being 1 mil - but they have a link to a PDF at the RMGI site which lists the LPR35 at a total thickness of 1.38 mil: a .78 mil base thickness and a .43 mil coating thickness.

Would this work in a Tascam 388 which is designed to handle 1mil tape?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

From the link I found on this tape;

http://www.rmgi.com.au/RMGI_LPR35.htm

It seems to behave like a 1 mil tape in that they are able to put 1800 feet of it on a 7" reel so, I don't see any issues with this other then slitting issues if your 388 has worn heads and/or guide posts, there may be a bit of edge track instability or skewing issues if the tape used on the machine prior was not exactly the same width measurement. This issue can be addressed if you rotate or replace the guide posts and re-lap the heads...if needed!

Odds are, you should be good to go though! I'm only presenting worse case scenarios.

Cheers! :)

Hello!

Thanks for the excellent information! I'm going to give it a shot...Probably just start with a single reel and see how it goes. If it works out favorably then I'll spring for the case.

Thanks again!

Anyway, the Encore Data site lists the LPR35 as being 1 mil - but they have a link to a PDF at the RMGI site which lists the LPR35 at a total thickness of 1.38 mil: a .78 mil base thickness and a .43 mil coating thickness.

Would this work in a Tascam 388 which is designed to handle 1mil tape?

LPR35 is a great tape for the 388. Most tape is thicker than the designation. With few exceptions you won’t find pro backoated tape that is equal to or less than the thickness category.

Here’s a breakdown of other recommended 1 mil tapes for the 388

Quantegy 407 1.28 mil
Quantegy 457 1.38 mil
Maxell XLI 35-90B 1.40 mil
3M/Scotch 207 1.51 mil

Most 1.5 mil like 456 are closer to 2 mil… some a little less and some actually over 2 mil.

:)

Last edited:
Beck! Thanks for the great information - I'm definitely going to copy all of that down for future use.

I'll report back with my findings...got my fingers crossed!

Matt

Back