RMGI becoming Available at More Outlets… For Less

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beck

Tapes.com has the best price of anyone I’ve seen so far.

http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=95_113

US Recording Media has had it for the longest but they were always the most expensive site on the planet, even when they only had Quantegy before the tape crisis of ’05. So it’s not that RMGI is any pricier… it’s just the people to first carry it are.

Half-inch SM911 is $62.97 at US Recording Media, but only $54.75 at tapes.com...still too high but it will come down. :)

SpicIT is also a bit less than US Recording Media, but they don't have anything but 1/4" right now.

http://www.splicit.com/recording_tape.html

One thing for sure... I wouldn't pay $79.00 for the last reel of Quantegy 456 when I can get RMGI SM911 for $55.00.

Last edited:
That's pretty cheap, especially for such a high caliber tape. Deserves a bump! :)

Attachments

• tn_rmg_black.jpg
    tn_rmg_black.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 90
hungovermorning said:
Does RMGI have a Quantegy 457 equivalent, I've only seen mentions of 456.
I'm not sure but it looks like they are only in 1.5 mil. Zonal does 1.0 mil 1/4" tape but I think it's difficult to source in the US.

jpmorris said:
I'm not sure but it looks like they are only in 1.5 mil. Zonal does 1.0 mil 1/4" tape but I think it's difficult to source in the US.

Eeep, that does not make my Tascam 22-4 very happy.

cjacek said:
Yes, it's called LPR35. :)

Oh, that's very good. They only mention 456 when talking about it, but a 7 inch 1800 foot reel would make it 457. Phew, my 22-4 just breathed a sigh of relief. I wish I had known that before I placed my end of the world order with Quantegy, but at $8.25 a reel I'm not kicking myself too hard.

hungovermorning said:
Oh, that's very good. They only mention 456 when talking about it, but a 7 inch 1800 foot reel would make it 457. Phew, my 22-4 just breathed a sigh of relief. I wish I had known that before I placed my end of the world order with Quantegy, but at $8.25 a reel I'm not kicking myself too hard.

That's a low, low price and it's good you stocked up.

RMGI makes the LPR35, among others and depending where you buy, they may or may not stock it but it's available. Certainly not the end of the world.

jpmorris said:
Whoo... at last! http://www.datastores.co.uk/

And it's about £3 cheaper than the Quantegy stuff.

Looks like Quantegy's demise made better way for RMGI. ;)

I always thought Ampex / Quantegy really shined in only one area and that would be people's awareness of it. It was simply better known but there were much better tapes like the BASF then EMTEC and now RMGI. Same quality stuff.

Not saying that Quantegy was bad, 'cause it did produce good tape but it was far from excellent as compared to the RMGI line.

Yup, RMGI is not only better priced but it's also a better tape overall than Quantegy. It's a win win situation. :D

Last edited:
arjoll said:
Any recommendations for non-backcoated tape?

Maxell UD 35-90 / Maxell UD 35-180, without hesitation. These never go bad and sound great. If, on the other hand, you want a real low fi, vintage kinda sound, look for Ampex / Quantegy 631 or 641. Of course, all of these are 1/4". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back