RMG 1/2" tape any good???

yetipur

Hello,

Is the RMG tape out there any good? I've heard good and bad things about it, like shedding and the like. What do you think? I'm in need of some 1/2" at the moment.

thnx

I've got some used one pass 1/2 inch 456 that you can have for $15 a reel plus shipping. I think there are four left. Don't know about shipping to Mars though....................

Hello,
Is the RMG tape out there any good? I've heard good and bad things about it, like shedding and the like. What do you think? I'm in need of some 1/2" at the moment.
thnx

The bad batches are bad. The good batches are good. At this point it's either RMGI or the ATR stuff which probably isn't designed for what you're doing anyway.

What's he doing that would make a difference?
Well, I am just guessing, but if he's looking for 1/2" tape, he's liable to want something roughly 456-compatible. Isn't the ATR tape +11 or something? Will his machine be able to handle that?

Well, I am just guessing, but if he's looking for 1/2" tape, he's liable to want something roughly 456-compatible. Isn't the ATR tape +11 or something? Will his machine be able to handle that?

Just because a tape can handle an elevated level does not mean it must be set up for it. ATR provides distortion figures for a wide range of levels. Take a look for yourself. Also note the set up disclaimer at the very end.

http://www.atrtape.com/pdf/ATR%20Tech%20Web.pdf

Just because a tape can handle an elevated level does not mean it must be set up for it. ATR provides distortion figures for a wide range of levels. Take a look for yourself. Also note the set up disclaimer at the very end.

Ah, my bad. I'll have to try it sometime if I can find a supplier.

Oh dear gods... It's twice the price of the RMGI stuff. It may have to wait a bit :eek:

Interesting that the ATR tape has a coercivity of 365 Oe, which relates to bias requirement. In comparison, 456 and 911 both have 320 Oe, requiring less bias current and 468 is at 380 Oe, requiring more bias.

The point is that ATR requires a bit more bias than 456 / 911 but less than 468. I think that a typical TEAC / TASCAM studio deck can bias up to an ATR tape. At least it would seem so from the specs.

I wonder how thick, stiff and heavy the ATR tape is as compared to a 456 or 911.:confused:

If anyone reading this has in fact biased their deck to ATR I sure would like to know how it went.

EDIT: OK, here's the scoop from the spec sheets. ATR's total thickness is 2.28 mil as opposed to SM911 which is 1.97 mil (Quantegy also less than 2mils), a notable difference, one which could possibly put more strain on a deck's transport? Maybe.

RMG sucks!! I had one reel a month ago and the shedding in the first 500 feet was horrid. I had another sent and that was questionable. I do NOT like RMG. I will never buy another one. ATR is the way to go. I have heard nothing but awesome things about it. BTW, it is made in the US. while RMG is made in the Netherlands. I guess it's like everything else, you get a good one and your happy, you get a bad one you hate it for life.

RMG sucks!! I had one reel a month ago and the shedding in the first 500 feet was horrid. I had another sent and that was questionable. I do NOT like RMG. I will never buy another one. ATR is the way to go. I have heard nothing but awesome things about it. BTW, it is made in the US. while RMG is made in the Netherlands. I guess it's like everything else, you get a good one and your happy, you get a bad one you hate it for life.

You had one reel go bad and you've sworn off the stuff? I've had zero go bad, and I've purchased 30 reels :)

There is a spotlight on RMG in the new issue of Tape Op where he discusses just this issue. I've bought nine and used six so far with no issues.

RMGI is great!

Hi,
I tried using ATR tape and wasnt impressed, There were little bumps all over it. I couldnt get my TSR-8 to reach proper bias or get the higher operating level. I bought a 355 nwbr/m test tape and a roll of ATR for nothing except the learning experience. The ATR and RMGI 900 tape are heavy and more abrasive than standard tape. Most machines arent designed for it. My Tascams are meant for 456 and the like. I never heard my TSR-8 sound as good as it does now with the RMGI 911. I see no more shedding than with 456. I am going to try RMGI 911 on my 1" MSR-24 soon. If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Victory Pete

Just bought three reels of 1/2" RMGI SM911. Works like a charm... just like all of the other 25-30-or-so reels of RMGI SM911 that I've bought ;)

Hi,
I tried using ATR tape and wasnt impressed, There were little bumps all over it. I couldnt get my TSR-8 to reach proper bias or get the higher operating level. I bought a 355 nwbr/m test tape and a roll of ATR for nothing except the learning experience. The ATR and RMGI 900 tape are heavy and more abrasive than standard tape. Most machines arent designed for it. My Tascams are meant for 456 and the like. I never heard my TSR-8 sound as good as it does now with the RMGI 911. I see no more shedding than with 456. I am going to try RMGI 911 on my 1" MSR-24 soon. If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Victory Pete

I doubt very seriously if any Tascam machine would perform well @ 355 nwbr/m. I'm thinking that if you had set your sights @ 250, the ATR tape would have worked fine. Question: what exactly do you mean by "heavy?"

Hi,
Victory Pete

Don't worry; you can still use that 355 nWb/m calibration tape for setting other levels. You just have to compensate for the difference. Here's a handy chart from Quantegy.

http://www.quantegy.com/audiorecorder/

Select 370 as the reference level of the test tape (355/370 are the same... long story, but trust me). Next look to the right for the level you want to set your deck for. If you want it set for 250 nWb/m (factory setting for TSR-8) then play the 355 nWb/m 1kHz reference tone and set your meters for +3.

I don't recommend using the +9 class of tape on the TSR-8. You are correct that they are stiffer, thicker and harder on heads and transport... and at 2.28 mils, ATR is the thickest and stiffest of all the +9/+10 tapes. Great for the ATR-102 and other more robust machines though.

The TSR-8 handles tape beautifully… very nice microprocessor controlled transport, but it’s delicate and factory recommended tape should be used for best performance and long life. Stick with 456, 911 or 468 and you'll be fine.

Just another guy's experience... I've used about 50 reels of 1/2" and 1" SM911 over the past couple of years and have had no problems whatsoever. Used 456 is just not worth it unless you trust the person you're buying from... I've even received supposedly good 456 that was actually the bad stuff, just in a different box. People on ebay are crazy.

Back