Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Right to Repair

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    The situation does not need balancing.

The free market is the absolute best way to allocate scarce goods.

There is no need for an environmental tax except to make some nutzoid lefties happy.
    Yes, for scarce materials the free market is effective and will eventually drive the phone etc prices sky-high. I hope you'll be happy when that happens.

Where it doesn't work for materials which are cheap to produce but expensive to dispose of. Hello plastic! You need legislation to push the recycling cost back to manufacturers. Or is that facist control too? What about slavery, do you think it would be okay to reintroduce it to further cut back production costs in the name of free market? Think it's all for the goodwill of people and corporations that this doesn't happen? Guess why it's so popular to produce stuff in China?

Sad to see the discussion degenerate to hatred and name-calling so fast, for some reason I expected a higher standard here. Sure got my expectations set straight on that! Also this has gotten rather far away from the actual topic which I found interesting, politics less so.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Turre View Post
    Yes, for scarce materials the free market is effective and will eventually drive the phone etc prices sky-high. I hope you'll be happy when that happens.

Where it doesn't work for materials which are cheap to produce but expensive to dispose of. Hello plastic! You need legislation to push the recycling cost back to manufacturers. Or is that facist control too? What about slavery, do you think it would be okay to reintroduce it to further cut back production costs in the name of free market? Think it's all for the goodwill of people and corporations that this doesn't happen? Guess why it's so popular to produce stuff in China?

Sad to see the discussion degenerate to hatred and name-calling so fast, for some reason I expected a higher standard here. Sure got my expectations set straight on that! Also this has gotten rather far away from the actual topic which I found interesting, politics less so.
    In many parts of the world robotics has taken so many jobs that all that are left are so hard fought over that people work for starvation wages*. You see it on Quest TV? Machines do 90% of the production but some poor sod is left packing. Presumably they can employ them cheaper than designing a packing robot! And, remember, robots don't pay taxes OR shop at the local store (or online for that matter!)

In the next decade or so we shall see taxi, truck and bus drivers joining the ranks of the unemployed and disposessed. Mind you! Roads will be safer and travel more efficient!

*Along with the clamour about RFI components and moulded mains plugs, the minimum wage here was predicted to cause the end of civilization as we knew it. No evidence so far.....

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Turre View Post

You are so confused. That has nothing to do with repairs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    That has nothing to do with repairs.
    Oh, lookit that, we agree on something! This stopped having anything to do with repairs a long time ago.

Thanks
    Here's why the right to repair may hit a snag: a ton of formerly well-known brands are now "zombies."

Someone bought the name and slaps it on low-end Asian imports with NO repair facilities or spare parts. If something breaks, they give you the runaround, asking for photos or even video of the problem. Often they replace the item with another model, as the original is gone. The returns are bought up cheap by jobbers and "refurbished" -probably by canniblizing other units.

In order to supply you with any part, they would need to restructure their whole supply chain.

Thread Information