Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to Repair

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    It's a bigger issue than home appliances.
    When a farmer spends 500k on John Deere machinery and has no option but to use on-site John Deere service mechanics.
    No access to codes,software,parts,mandatory service schedules etc...
    Could cost thousands to reset the "check engine light" for no good reason.

Oh,and I fixed both my fridge and furnace over the holidays for under $100.
    Just to get a technician to the door will cost a $100.
    Yes,the one lady was bewildered why I wanted to fix my own fridge when looking for a part.

G

Or the "shadow work" thing.Tuning your clients instruments for them?

How Much Time Do You Spend Doing Shadow Work?
    Last edited by sasquatch; 01-26-2019 at 04:07.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    It's a bigger issue than home appliances.
    When a farmer spends 500k on John Deere machinery and has no option but to use on-site John Deere service mechanics.
    No access to codes,software,parts,mandatory service schedules etc...
    Could cost thousands to reset the "check engine light" for no good reason.

Oh,and I fixed both my fridge and furnace over the holidays for under $100.
    Just to get a technician to the door will cost a $100.
    Yes,the one lady was bewildered why I wanted to fix my own fridge when looking for a part.

G

Or the "shadow work" thing.Tuning your clients instruments for them?

How Much Time Do You Spend Doing Shadow Work?
    There is a saying over here "You never see a farmer on a bike" Not quite so apt now perhaps with the way supermarkets screw them and things like F&M but talking of 1/2 mill tractor gear is rather "ad absurdium". The R2R law would be I thnk aimed the millions of "ordinary" consumers who junk $200 gear for the want of a $50 repair.

Once again, UK experience might differ for farmers? We have the quite powerful NFU lobby and I bet they would be "speaking to" people like John Deere if they thought their members were being disabused. Then, "$100 for a tech' callout"? Canada is a big place. Over here I think 50 for a pro tech call to a studio would be very common. Much the same for a domestic service call. I did not work for free! Cars, vans, petrol costs.

(looked at that Shadow link. Want me to sign up. Did not like it. what's it all about?)

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    There is a saying over here "You never see a farmer on a bike" Not quite so apt now perhaps with the way supermarkets screw them and things like F&M but talking of 1/2 mill tractor gear is rather "ad absurdium". The R2R law would be I thnk aimed the millions of "ordinary" consumers who junk $200 gear for the want of a $50 repair.

Once again, UK experience might differ for farmers? We have the quite powerful NFU lobby and I bet they would be "speaking to" people like John Deere if they thought their members were being disabused. Then, "$100 for a tech' callout"? Canada is a big place. Over here I think 50 for a pro tech call to a studio would be very common. Much the same for a domestic service call. I did not work for free! Cars, vans, petrol costs.

(looked at that Shadow link. Want me to sign up. Did not like it. what's it all about?)

Dave.
    We have a saying over here "Sorry".
    Little different over here.
    Pound 50 can be 100 CDN depending on the day.
    Sorry you didn't like the link.You do you.

Peace

G

Thanks
    Well, "sorry" if you like but not sure what for?

Enigmatic or what?

Dave.

Thanks
    For those interested in the pervasiveness of planned obsolescence, there's a great documentary online called "The light bulb conspiracy".
    It's quite fascinating and centers around a tale of this guy wanting to 'repair' rather than replace his printer. He encounters all manner of obstacles. It so turns out that there is nothing wrong with the printer other than an eprom chip being programed to cease working after x amount of copies.
    The documentary goes into how far back planned obsolescence goes, legislation to keep its so, etc.

Sorry, I can't post a link on my phone, for the benefit of the lazy people. But if you're interested it can be easily found.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Today's electronics aren't designed to be repaired! Haven't you ever heard of "planned obsolescence"?

Thanks
    My tv failed one week before the warranty was up. Samsung fixed it for free.
    They tried to sell me an extended warranty. I declined.
    Now I can buy a totally new better tv for the price of the extra warranty.
    Even if it had failed again the difference between newer tv and the warranty price would have cost me a minimal amount to have an upgraded tv.

In short too many things that are electronic are becoming so much cheaper so fast that fixing them makes no sense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mr average For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    My tv failed one week before the warranty was up. Samsung fixed it for free.
    They tried to sell me an extended warranty. I declined.
    Now I can buy a totally new better tv for the price of the extra warranty.
    Even if it had failed again the difference between newer tv and the warranty price would have cost me a minimal amount to have an upgraded tv.

In short too many things that are electronic are becoming so much cheaper so fast that fixing them makes no sense.
    It makes HUGE sense to fix things! For one thing, new products are largely built by robots (except for some VERY boring packing jobs where it is not considered economic and so they pay some poor sod shit to do it and they can because it is the only job left). A factory full of robots only makes money for the owners and shareholders. Making things repairable means employing trained technicians at decent rates. There also needs to be an infrastructure of the supply of parts and information. In my day the service industry gave valuable feedback to mnfctrs about faults so that they could improve products incrementally. This also added to safety as the fire hazard with that tumble dryer e.g. would have been found and fed back before 100,000 were shipped out!

But the biggest "sense" is to the fucking PLANET! We cannot go on plundering Earth's resources ad inf. Then, it takes FAR more energy and thus C02 to make a new telly/printer..di da than to fix a current one.

There are good guys about. I have a "serious readers" lamp. They are expensive but the company offered me an upgrade from incandescent to LED for about 40 inc shipping. That was a few years ago and it seems the LED assy has failed. I emailed the company* and THE SAME DAY got a telephone call on my landline** Spoke to a very nice chap and he is shipping me out a new LED unit. Free!

*email address on the product! How many companies make contact via email THAT simple?
    **I only gave him my mobile number but missed his call so he looked up my sales history and found my landline #. HOW many firms give that level of service these days?

Dave.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    There are good guys about. I have a "serious readers" lamp. They are expensive but the company offered me an upgrade from incandescent to LED for about 40 inc shipping. That was a few years ago and it seems the LED assy has failed. I emailed the company* and THE SAME DAY got a telephone call on my landline** Spoke to a very nice chap and he is shipping me out a new LED unit. Free!.
    But neither you nor they repaired the failed assembly?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    But neither you nor they repaired the failed assembly?
    Oh sorry! I did not make it clear, The LED assembly is a bi-pin "bulb" similar to those in LED track lighting about 50mm diameter. My point is not that the device is repairable so much as the service that I got from the company. Service, easily accessed, fast and expert help is key to getting things repaired.

Dave.

Thread Information