Revox PR99 for masterting...

gilwe

Anything you can tell about it ?

I'd like to have a stereo 2 track machine so I can dump my mixes from the DAW directly to the tape, and reload for a two track master.

I found one locally for 450$.

Would it be a wise choice ? What should I check ?

Any place on it where you can read how much motor has been ran ?

I would keep shopping - $450 should buy you a lot more deck than a PR99, or really any 2-track reel. I've got a PR99 and have used them plenty in the past; hoenstly my Tascam 42B is a MUCH nicer unit, and you should be able to find a 32/42/52 for closer to $300, maybe even less. I completely lucked out and got my 42B for free!

AK

I would keep shopping - $450 should buy you a lot more deck than a PR99, or really any 2-track reel. I've got a PR99 and have used them plenty in the past; hoenstly my Tascam 42B is a MUCH nicer unit, and you should be able to find a 32/42/52 for closer to $300, maybe even less. I completely lucked out and got my 42B for free!

I suspect the currency conversion is probably throwing things out, but where I am, the going rate for a PR99 is about $400, less if it's been smacked around, or is mono or replay only or something, and more if it's pristine or just been serviced. I've seen a few ex-BBC A807s for about $700, which is somewhat on the low end.

As for the PR99 itself, it is basically a revamped version of the B77HS. There are three models:
Mk1 - this really is just a B77. Personally I'd avoid it if you can get a mk2 or mk3.
I don't know the differences between the Mk2 and Mk3 are, but both of these have an electronic counter with Return to Zero, which the B77 and the mk1 do not have. Depending on what you plan to use the machine for, this may or may not be important.

Note that while the Revox machines are often used by broadcasting organisations, they probably do not use them for mastering (for that they'd use a more expensive Studer like the A807). It has been said that the B77 and PR99 is better at playback than recording.

Back