Revox B77 Head Alignment question

Matt C.

I just got a Revox B77 mk2 and i'm trying to figure out the whole alignment process. the first problem i've run into is this - the B77 service manual does not show how to adjust the wrap, zenith, or head height of the heads, only the azimuth. each head also has a different number of adjustment screws - the repro head has i believe 5 (two behind, including the azimuth screw, and 3 in front of the head that i have not been brave enough to mess around with), and the record head only has the 2 behind the head. am i missing something here? is the B77 head block constructed in a way that makes adjusting wrap, zenith, etc unnecessary? do i only need to adjust azimuth on this machine? if anyone is familiar enough with this machine to let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just got a Revox B77 mk2 and i'm trying to figure out the whole alignment process. the first problem i've run into is this - the B77 service manual does not show how to adjust the wrap, zenith, or head height of the heads, only the azimuth. each head also has a different number of adjustment screws - the repro head has i believe 5 (two behind, including the azimuth screw, and 3 in front of the head that i have not been brave enough to mess around with), and the record head only has the 2 behind the head. am i missing something here? is the B77 head block constructed in a way that makes adjusting wrap, zenith, etc unnecessary? do i only need to adjust azimuth on this machine? if anyone is familiar enough with this machine to let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Before you dive in to tackle adjustments that even the service manual doesnt deal with, I suggest you be clear in your own mind about your reasons for tackling such adjustments.
What are the current symptoms? Does the audio performance suggest a need to physically realign the heads?

Cheers Tim

i haven't noticed the deck having any serious problems, mainly i just want to learn the process so i can KNOW there's nothing goofing up, instead of just assuming, and so i don't have to worry about paying someone else to do it down the road.

i haven't noticed the deck having any serious problems, mainly i just want to learn the process so i can KNOW there's nothing goofing up, instead of just assuming, and so i don't have to worry about paying someone else to do it down the road.

Basically you dont make adjustments to an existing worn head.
If it's worn enough to be giving problems it should be relapped or replaced and only then the mechanical adjustments done.
The only time you might get away with adjusting an existing head is if it was very recently adjusted wrongly and you are just correcting that problem.

There is nothing special about the B77 head adjustments. The two small Phillips head screws at the front of the play head merely attach the hum shield flap to the head base. Otherwise the record and play heads have a three screw mounting which is very common.

Cheers Tim

The only head adjustment I mess with is azimuth. Do an alignment and if you can't get the deck into spec then maybe you need to "go there" but otherwise I'd leave it alone.

thanks guys, i'll leave the other adjustments alone. anyway the deck is acting weird so i might end up needing to bring it in to a professional after all...

Back